PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a diaper bag and your own?

redhookmom
03-18-2004, 02:30 PM
It has been 4 years and I still havn't figured out a good system. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

redhookmom
03-18-2004, 02:33 PM
For me, it all gets mixed up. One day I will decide I want my own bag. The next day I will be running a quick errand and just grab wallet out of my bag and put into diaper bag. Next day I am going out without kids grab my bag and find out later my wallet is not in
it.

Kimberly H
03-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Technically I have separate bags but if I'm going out with the baby for any length of time (besides dropping off/picking up at daycare) I have a pocket in her tote for my wallet, cell phone and lipgloss. Keys go in the outside slip pocket.

parkersmama
03-19-2004, 01:10 AM
I use two separate bags but I really hate my system. Same as you...I've been doing this for years and have yet to strike upon the perfect solution! :(

MamaKath
03-19-2004, 01:23 AM
I am still trying to find something I like systemwise, I have done a bit of everything over the last nearly 5 years (gasp, that long, eek). I prefer to carry one bag, but more and more am finding that I only use the snacks, diapers and wipes out of it- not the toys and spare outfits. The only bag that I have found that seems functional for me with my stuff and the kids stuff is the AmeriHealth Baby Bag, but I like the one bag concept if we are all going out together. When I worked out of the home, I had a purse, a briefcase, a computer case, and the diaper bag, lol. Sundays I carry a big tote so I have toys, books, activities, plus diapers, wipes, and spare outfits (why has my son decided that Pastor's sermons should bring on a poop, lol), as well as mommy stuff. Nursery school pick up only days are a purse (now doing a small healthy back bag) with diaper or two and wipes thrown in. i am nervous that if I keep up the one bag thing that my kids, their stuff, and my wallet will end up at a playdate/with their dad/at a sitter together iykwim. :-| But dd was diagnosed with a dairy allergy and now I am carrying a ton of snacks too, so my load has grown again. I am hoping someone weighs in with a system that really works well.

kkb99
03-19-2004, 01:26 AM
What I've been doing is using the LE small (like little tripper size) backpack for me and kids. My cell phone, wallet, checkbook, keys, pda all go in the outer pocket. This will JUST fit with nothing else in there. Trouble is, stuff is always getting in there- first a lipstick, then a few receipts... then I'm trying to jam the wallet back in, it won't close well- you get the picture. Would work ok if I cleaned out the receipts everyday. Bad thing is, if I go somewhere alone, I end up taking my whole diaper bag because its easier than pulling things into a purse (and where did I put that purse??). Plus, when I do pull things out into the purse, I inevitably end up missing something later that didn't get put back into diaper bag. I think a little bag that fit into/onto the big bag would be perfect, like the Bandicoot. I say this, and yet that is not the bag I'm thinking of getting! Maybe I should rethink this. :-)

gatorsmom
03-19-2004, 02:46 AM
I had to reply to this because I think I've got a pretty good system down. I started doing this before baby when I had a career (you know- that other life ;)) Anyway, it worked with the briefcase/purse dilemna and now it works with the diaper bag.

For myself, I've crammed sample sized everythings (miniature compact, a lipstick that matches everything, pen, tiny Purell hand sanitizer bottle, dental floss, advil, etc.) into one of those makeup bags that are given away with the cosmetic purchase "Bonuses" that some department stores occasionally have. They are usually small and I've fit everything I need in there. I also carry for myself a wallet which has a change purse/checkbook/credit card compartments. No matter what bag or purse I take with me, the cosmetics bag and the wallet will go in there. And they are easy to switch at the last minute and I only buy purses that they will both fit in. This has really helped me stay organized. Oh, and the cell phone is a tiny one that goes into an easily-retrievable pocket on the outside of the diaper bag.

Hope I've been an inspiration!

wendinbill
03-19-2004, 09:20 AM
I tried to do all one bag, but it's just too difficult now that I'm back to work part-time. I like having my own bag, so that I can grab it & go when I'm pressed for time.

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-19-2004, 12:16 PM
I never carry my diaper bag, I leave it in the SUV which has a fold down back and I use it at a changing table...
I guess I'm the minority but I honest to goodness have not really needed it on me ever...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

redhookmom
03-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Lots of good ideas. I have to pick a system and stick with it!

Neve, never? What about a wipe, a snack, a drink? I can't imagine not being able to produce a goldfish on demand.

parkersmama
03-19-2004, 04:25 PM
LOL! I was thinking the same thing about the Bandicoot when I was typing that post. :) The big downside to it, for me, is the lack of organizing pockets for baby stuff in it. Argh...will there ever be a perfect bag????

cma
03-19-2004, 10:34 PM
I have a separate bag, but it's a tiny thing from bagallini

http://tinyurl.com/2dts6

It's small enough to throw into the diaper bag for long outings, but has a strap so I can wear it when I don't take the diaper bag in with us. Usually around my waist when I have DS in a sling.

It fits all my wallet stuff, checkbook, pocket calendar and cell phone. And it forces me to clean out the reciepts and stuff so it keeps it's slim line.

E-bags is now carrying the bigger Bagallini that would also hold a PDA.

I like the waist pack idea, but don't like the casual look. Would love a Gucci Belt Bag, but not willing to fork over the money for that!

My friend carries this one http://tinyurl.com/3cjft. She can keep her wallet, cell phone, and some other small stuff in it.
HTH

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-22-2004, 12:21 PM
I don't...
I have to admit there have been times we've been somewhere and Steve needs to run out to the car to grab the bottle, ot take T out to change him. But honestly we leave it in the car all the time!!!!
Steve's huffed just last week when at a restaurant he needed to run out and find a binkie, but it never occurs to me to grab it,
Tristan has never been changed on a store changing table we do it in the car. Not for any reason except the car works for us.

Also I have never offered a goldfish...or even a cheerio on the go. I suspect that will change since shopping lately has been hampered by him recently.

My grocery cart cover carries a bottle if I need one, but even then I offer a drink before getting out of the car so we are not stuck in a situation:)

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

lmariana
03-23-2004, 02:47 PM
I love my Loom watermelon clutch inside of my Marsupial. It's such a perfect size!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Roni
03-23-2004, 09:04 PM
I used to just carry one bag, but now that I have 2, I carry my stuff in a fanny pack & use a backpack for a diaper bag. That way, sometimes I can ditch the diaper bag.

jerseygirl07067
03-26-2004, 03:24 PM
My purse is actually a Nine West wallet on a string. It's black mircofiber. Believe it or not, I can fit all my credit cards, photos, receipts, change, etc. in there as well as a mirror, concealer, and lipstick (being a makeup minimalist helps). I could probably fit my checkbook and cellphone if I needed to. I just take my "wallet on a string" out of my diaper bag when going out. I realize they are not really in major style anymore, but I don't care. It's so easy! And I wear the wallet on a string messenger style so I never lose it and can access it very easily and quickly at the store/restaurant, wherever. I actually just bought another one at the Fossil outlet near me too so I will have another one when this one wears out.

HTH,
Marcy

firsttimemommy
03-26-2004, 11:17 PM
OK, here goes (don't laugh please!!) ;) I technically have three bags:

I have one large diaper bag - the Marsupial - that has everything in it - toys, change of clothes, sippy, diapers, snacks, diaper creme, medicine, you name it. I have the small drawstring bag that comes with my Marsupial filled with lip gloss, and other baby tolietries. My wallet, daytimer and cell phone fit in it too. This is the bag I take with me when I am going to be "out" of the car for a longer period of time.

I have our "restaurant bag" - a Hello Kitty tote for now until I find another bag - that has a diaper, small baggie of wipes, sippy, snacks, tiny diner portable placemat and a very thin shopping cart cover for the highchair as well as a couple of disposable bibs. My wallet and cell phone fit in it. This is the bag I grab when we go into a restaurant.

Then I have a real purse - I have multiple ones that I change with my mood or outfit - I use a real purse for a quick trip or sans baby. You will find a bag of fruit snacks, goldfish and a diaper and small baggie of wipes in it just in case. And of course my wallet, lip gloss, cell phone, etc..

I refill when necessary and ALWAYS have a backup stash of diapers, wipes, juice and snacks in the car (in my Graco backseat organizer)

There, WHEW! So am I nuts or what? This is working for me now, but I am sure before long I will find a glitch and overhaul the whole system! Actually, when #2 comes along in month, I'm sure changes will have to be made before too long - but with trial and error I'll find a new way!

Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob due 4/28/04