PDA

View Full Version : Fleurville Alpha 7 and Loom Marsupial Comparison

lmariana
03-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Hello! I got my Alpha 7 yesterday, and I thought I'd do a review and comparison to the Loom Marsupial. Here are some pictures!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3465.jpg
Front

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3466.jpg
Back

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3467.jpg
Interior

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3468.jpg
Alpha 7 Interior

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3469.jpg
Changing Pads and Dirty Bags

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3470.jpg
Side View

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3471.jpg
Alpha 7 Front Detail

Overall, the Alpha 7 is a lot LARGER than I had expected. It's taller than the Marsupial and about the same width. This is the Fiesta Stripe print, the interior is chocolate brown. The Alpha 7 can be worn messenger style, as a backpack, and just on your shoulder. There are a total of 6 exterior pockets, one on each side, one large one on the back, and three in the front under their own velcro flap. Inside, there are 4 pockets, one large one running the length of the back, an insulated bottle holder, a long pocket up front for wipes, and a short front one in which I put teethers. The bag closure is a flap with velcro. The straps are all adjustable, and the shoulder strap has a nice padded grip pad thingy. All the straps are detachable. Ther are four plastic feet on the bottom.

Honestly, I can't decide what I think about it. It's super cute and very spacious, but the Loom is just so much more "sleek". If I needed more space than is in my Loom, the Alpha 7 would be my choice. I do love the fabric though, very fun!!!!

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

kelle1996
03-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the great information! I was having a hard time becuse I have the Alpha 7 in the black canvas on order (I have been waiting for over a month) and I wanted to see the 2 of these compared. I think I will really like my Fleurville if it ever comes!!

Kelle

Chelsey333
03-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Mariana, I love all your reviews. The Alpha 7 looks really cute, the colors are so different. But now I am curious, which bag is your favorite out of all the ones you have seen or bought? I know you have the Skip Hop and that was high on your list. The Skip-Hop temps me, but that can't go on a double (sbs)stroller, right? I really wanted the Alpha 7, but if it is bigger than the Loom, I really don't need it.

lmariana
03-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Well, right now I have a Skip Hop, a Loom, a Baby Sherpa, a Tote Le Monde, an Ella Elaine tote, and the Alpha 7. Each one really has it's own individual uses and wonderful selling points (although I'm selling the Tote Le Monde, because I never used it enough to justify it.) I also had a Oi Oi Messenger bag for a day, but returned it. I have a white Mothership on the way, which I'm planning to make my pool bag for the summer.

The Loom Marsupial is getting used every day. I love how sleek and clean it looks. Out of all of my bags, I'd say it has the best organization and craftmanship, hands down.

The Skip Hop is also an awesome bag. It has great organization and is wonderfully functional, the only reason I can't make it #1 is because it's too "blah". Does that make sense? I keep it in my car though, and when we're going to be out with the stroller for a bit or out for a long shopping trip, the Skip Hop is our choice. It's such a great "hands free" bag and it's very lightweight. It depends what type of double stroller you have, as to whether or not it would work on one. The stroller straps are adjustable, so they can fit wider strollers. If your double has the one long handlebar, I think it would work. It's the doubles with the 2 separate handle bars that might have an issue.

Don't laugh, but the Skip Hop is also my "Mexican Restaurant" bag. Everytime we go out for Mexican food, my bag, clothes, everything picks up that onion smell, so I'm subjecting my Skip Hop to that, rather than my Loom. :)

The Baby Sherpa is a good backpack diaper bag. It's huge though. In the beginning, when Gabriel was feeding every 3 hours, it was a lifesaver to have all his feedings in the cooler section, but now that he's getting older, it's not as vital. We still use it for all day trips, but it mostly hangs out in the car.

I'm not quite sure how the Alpha 7 will fit in to my bag scheme. I was attracted to it because of the backpack feature, but the size is just a tad too big. I have a feeling it will get a lot of use though. The color scheme really works with my wardrobe. (I can't believe I just typed that. I sound like Elle Woods.)

The Tote Le Monde is a gorgeous bag. It's also the easiest bag to clean in the world. I seriously doubt that anything short of a Sharpie marker could mess it up. It's a nice woven plastic material on the exterior and a clear vinyl inside. It's organized very similarly to the Alpha 7, but it's bigger. I have pictures up on the bag swap site, if anyone's interested.

Out of all these, my hubby would pick the Skip hop as his favorite, because it's the least feminine. :)

If I had a limited budget and could only have one bag forever, I'd pick the Skip Hop. For $50, it's a tough one to beat. Golly, I could talk about diaper bags all day! My hubby sure thinks I do...poor guy!

Mariana

heidi_timms
03-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Wow, you have a plethera of bags! I have been drooling over that Alpha 7 for a while. I love the Fiesta Stripes. I have a Bumble bags bag that is messenger style and backpack and I must add that backpacks are nice because they fit on the back of most restaurant chairs. I hate my bags sitting on the dirty floor!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

JerseyMom
03-19-2004, 10:28 PM
What an excellent review! I have the Fiesta Stripe Alpha 7 and I just ordered the Loom Marsupial. I had no idea how the 2 compared and I am surpised by some of the differences. I also think the Loom is just different enough to justify the addition to the collection. I can't wait to get mine now!! Thanks!

lmariana
03-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Yay! If you love your Alpha 7, you'll love the Loom! Let us know what you think once you get it!

Mariana

tina-t
03-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Thank you so much for the pictures and review. I had posted a question a few days back about the interior of the alpha 7 but never got an answer. This is wonderful! I just got the loom a few days ago and love it. I think that I will just stick with the loom.

Love that fiesta stripes alpha 7 though. That was what I was planning to get if I decided to order one.

MichelleRC
03-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Great review. I am a visual person and love to have the pictures to compare.
Quick question though--do the backpack straps get in the way when you are using the bag as a messenger or just on your shoulder?

Thanks again!

michelle

lmariana
03-22-2004, 01:09 PM
They would get in the way, but since they are removable, I just unsnap them and tuck them into the exterior back pocket. :)

When I'm not using the messenger strap, I do the same thing.

Pretty thoughtful design, in my opinion!

Mariana