PDA

View Full Version : If I want a small "fun" bag and a practical big bag, what should I get?

Jennymarie
03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Our baby is coming in June. I'm loving all these diaper bags, but reviewing this folder has been the single most confusing baby-shopping experience for me! There are SO many bags and no real consensus about the best ones!

Here's my theory (tell me if you think this makes sense): I'm really thinking all I'm going to want is a small bag and a big bag. Since the small one is really going to be for me alone, I'd like that one to be pretty. Since the big one is going to be for longer outings, when my husband might want to carry it, then I'm thinking it should just be big, tough and practical - probably a backpack, since we're outdoorsy. Does this make sense?

I tend to be a heavy packer overall, I think. And I'd prefer not to carry a separate purse. What do you guys recommend? Do you think the Vera Bradley bags are comparable to a LE Little Tripper in size? I like the VB bags a lot, but I'm a bit concerned about the fabric getting dirty. Do you think these can be washed without destroying the bag? Does anybody else make something more stylish than a LT but in a more durable material than a VB for a smaller bag?

As far as a "big bag," I'm thinking a basic Lands End Backpack. But I'm wondering - do you guys find the access on the backpack style diaper bags to be as good as the messenger style bags? I really do like the look of the Loom Marsupial, but I'm afraid if I get this bag I'm just going to end up buying a LE backpack eventually anyway because of the size and "hands free" aspect.

Thanks for ANY advice you can give!

robmab719
03-19-2004, 02:22 PM
First off, I think the reason that this thread has so many different opinions and conflicting recommendations is that choosing a diaper bag is a very personal thing. It not only has to be practical, but also reflect your style...and there are a lot of different styles among the women on this board!

I was in your shoes a few months ago...trying to choose a diaper bag before my baby was here. I ended up getting an I'm Still Me large tote (the smaller, stylish bag) and a LE Backpack for hubby (our big, practical bag). I have to say that, after a few outings, I found myself gravitating toward the LE bag because it just held more and the organization was better. Plus, I like the fact that I can be "hands-free" when wearing it as a backpack. The ISM bag was bulky and the straps kept falling off my shoulder. And it barely fit in my stroller basket.

With that said, I hate the way the LE backpack looks, so I ended up ordering an Ella backpack for me. I can't comment on the functionality of it because I won't have it for another 3 weeks, but I'm optimistic that it will solve my dilemma. I also ordered a Skip-Hop b/c I love the way it attaches to my stroller.

So to summarize, these are my needs and the diaper bags I'm using to satisfy them:

Bag for short/medium stroller outings (mall, park, etc.)- Skip Hop Messenger/Stroller bag

Bag for long, all day trips with DH - LE Backpack

Bag for when I'm wearing baby in carrier (needs to be hands-free) - Ella Backpack

The great thing is that if you get a bag and end up not liking it, you can always return it or sell it. I really think you just have to keep trying them out until you find one that's right for you. At least, that's my strategy!

loewymartin
03-19-2004, 02:29 PM
I can't answer all of your questions - but I can give my 2 cents :-)

I have an almost 2 year old, so what I carry now is very different from what I carried when she was little. I have the EB Backpack and love it. It was great when Alia was little, and for most outings now it's perfect. I find it easy to get in/out of. I usually fling it over my left shoulder and can grab a sippy cup out of the side pocket, the cell phone is handy etc. I liked that I could put on the backpack and the Baby Bjorn and head out.

Now that Alia is older and I'm taking less stuff when I go out, I'm in the market for a smaller bag. I only own the backpack, so I've been taking that whenever we go somewhere. It's too big for this age (and I put my wallet, cell, keys and sometimes a bottle of water in the diaper bag). I think I'm going to get the Eddie Bauer smaller diaper bag for shorter trips (honestly for really short trips I don't take anything but a sippy with me! I keep diapers/wipes and a changing pad stashed in the car just in case).

I think you'll want 2 - but you may be able to wait until the baby is older before chosing that second, smaller one. Or you might be able to use a purse you already have as a smaller bag. You will find that you have a set list of stuff you take and you can determine what you need as time goes on. (I love the Ella Josie, but I'm also worried about the fabric holding up).

All that said - congrats on the baby! It's a wonderful time of year to have a newborn.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

Chelsey333
03-19-2004, 02:58 PM
I think if you tend to be a heavy packer that one very organized bag will be fine for the first year. I agree with someone else, who said that you might not need a smaller bag until the baby is older. Of course, if you have $ to spend, it is more fun having more bags. With newborns, it seems like you have to bring so much stuff out with you, that you might not need a smaller bag until down the road. But I definitely recommend lots of interior pockets (like the Loom), it really helps with organization. I think that backpacks are harder to access things from, just bec I don't want to have to take something off my back everytime I need a pacifier, etc. But at the same time, it seems convenient to throw it on your back if your stroller doesn't have a big basket. Good luck on your decision!

LBW
03-19-2004, 03:20 PM
I have the Vera Bradley baby bag. I think of it as being more of a medium sized bag. I wouldn't want to use it as my small, every day bag.

It's very light, comfortable and roomy. But, if you want a bag with lots of organization, this isn't it. (I think the new Carry All might have better organization, but I'm not sure.) I just throw it in the washer when something spills on it, line dry, and it looks great.

wendinbill
03-19-2004, 05:26 PM
I am currently using the Vera Bradley Villager-six interior pockets, two exterior pockets. I carry 3 diapers, wipes, changing pad, burp cloth, change of clothes, etc. I'm a fairly light packer. I've owned two Vera bags & machine washed/line dried both with NO problems. I think Vera bags are pretty durable!!

AvasMama
03-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi,
If you can stand to wait (I know, it's pretty much impossible!) I would put in a vote for holding off until after the baby comes. Before Ava was born, I just HAD to have a Kate Spade baby bag (the basic black boxy one). Once she was here, I soon realized that it was too disorganized and just not the right size for me -- way too big for running errands and way too small for longer trips or travel. Luckily I had all the reciepts and could return it.

I ended up buying two bags from Lands End -- one small black microfiber tote for quick trips (holds just a few diapers, wipes, changing pad and receiving blanket) and the matching large tote that I plan to use for some upcoming trips. They are pretty basic, but they have good organization and they are great quality -- especially for the price. I am still eyeing a third bag that would be somewhere in between the two -- currently I am thinking a Bandicoot for the backpack style and detachable clutch.

Good luck! If nothing else, it sure is fun to obsess about!

-- Robyn

Ava 1-15-04