PDA

View Full Version : shopping cart covers

s_gosney
03-19-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm sure this has been covered a million times over, but please bear with me as I'm stuck away from my high speed internet connection and searching through tons of old posts takes forever. Anyway, Kylee is getting close to being ready to ride in the cart, so I was wondering about shopping cart covers. I saw the infantino one at walmart and actually went ahead and picked it up, but I just wanted to know if there's something better out there that I should get. What are the perks of the ones bought online and are they really worth the extra $? This one cost $20. I just wanted to find out now so I can take the infantino one back before I use it. Thanks for your help!

vikivoly
03-19-2004, 05:11 PM
I think the biggest difference between the Infantino and the $$$ ones is coverage and padding. The Infantino does not cover the entire seat basket and is thin. I have the Buggy Bagg which was really nice for babies too big for the infant carrier and too young to sit up on their own. It is very cushy. Of course, there are other extras such as pockets, etc.

smomom
03-19-2004, 05:21 PM
It's sort of pricey, but I am a huge fan of my Buggy Bagg too. It retails for around $70. It's a lot of money, but it's well made, washes well, and is extra cushiony. I also like the fact that it zips up neatly and has a carrying handle. I have no doubt that I'll get tired of my fabric selection long before the product gives out. Of all of my baby-related purchases this is hands-down my favorite item.

I can't remember where I ordered mine from, but I just ordered my SIL one for a shower gift from this site. I got it with free shipping too. I don't know if that offer is still good. I ordered it last Friday and it was delivered on Wednesday.

http://www.preciousbeginningsdiapersnthings.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=BuggyBagg

You can check out other info directly on the Buggy Bagg web site (www.buggybagg.com). They didn't offer free shipping, so I went with Precious Beginnings.

Momof3Labs
03-19-2004, 05:31 PM
If you want to spend less than a Buggy Bagg costs, I highly recommend www.covers4kids.com - we're very happy with our cover from there!

pritchettzoo
03-19-2004, 05:43 PM
I second the Covers4kids cover. It's great! It fits on Costco carts and restaurant high chairs and is really cute. Nice and cushy so when she lounges back or slumps down or flops over there's a little padding between her head and whatever's underneath.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

missliss55
03-19-2004, 06:08 PM
I have one from baby a la cart and love it!

www.babyalacart.com

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

arcoe
03-19-2004, 07:40 PM
I absolutely love my clean shopper (www.cleanshopper.com). It is easy to put on, covers all cart sizes, and is easy to clean. I believe that they are priced around $29.99 now, before tax and shipping.

RiaHannam
03-19-2004, 07:59 PM
I have a cleanshopper also. I found mine locally (Once Upon A Child) when it was 20% off so I grabbed a denim one. We use this CONSTANTLY! Initially I was going to get one from Covers4Kids but then saw this one on sale and in person so I snagged it.

Cleanshopper also has a highchair cover, though you can also use the cart cover in a high chair. Am thinking of getting the chair cover too since it is more compact and good for vacation/travel.

cma
03-19-2004, 08:43 PM
I didn't use one with DD. I didn't think I'd get one for DS, but as soon as I saw this post

http://tinyurl.com/yst7d

I was sold. I bought 2 covers4kids cart covers as Christmas presents, but I think for future presents I'm buying the ones from sewcuteboutique.

As the other posters say...the difference is just the extra padding, the pillow, and the fact that it covers the entire cart. I also wanted a cute print, but it may or may not be worth the extra $16 to you.

Good Luck!

Dscvrlifewith3
03-19-2004, 09:50 PM
wasn't their a coop for a shopping cart cover not too long ago. there is the girl on eBay that sales them. They are so cute. I haven't ever seen one that covers the whole basket like that before. Way cool! :)

My baby is 2, I guess I don't need one. :(

luguille
03-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Hi!
I just saw the post and want one, too!! I tried searching for "sewcuteboutique" on ebay but for some reason I couldn't find anything. Would you happen to know what the exact ebay id is? Thanks a lot!! My DD is urgently needing one of these cart covers....

Lou

papal
03-20-2004, 11:28 AM
It is sewcuteboutique. You have to do a Search and Find Member.
She does not have anything listed for sale right now but you could try emailing her.
Here is a link to her shop:
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewFeedback&userid=sewcuteboutique&items=25

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I have one from www.snazzybaby.com
It is up there in price with the buggy bagg but I love it, she makes asian brocade ones and they are made by hand by either the owner or her mother which I like too...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

kelle1996
03-20-2004, 12:21 PM
>Hi!
>I just saw the post and want one, too!! I tried searching for
>"sewcuteboutique" on ebay but for some reason I couldn't find
>anything. Would you happen to know what the exact ebay id is?
>Thanks a lot!! My DD is urgently needing one of these cart
>covers....
>
>Lou

She does'nt have any for sale now, but I just purchased one from her Thurs. here is the the item # 2388496849. You can email her for more info, she is very easy to deal with.

DDowning
03-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Actually, Kristy has contracted with a sewing house in California now Neve. They have a set pattern they follow for the new design she is selling. I had some issues with my original snazzy seat and was promised the new design to replace the one I have and it was to be delivered the first week of March. I'm still waiting...

AdoptChina
03-20-2004, 10:31 PM
I have both the Floppy seat and the Clean shopper. The floppy is more padded, but the clean shopper is easier to use (it doesnt have elastic around the outside edges so its easier to put on one handed). The both work fine but I like the clean shopper better (and it was inexpensive too)

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-21-2004, 12:06 AM
OH!!!!
I do know her mom made mine...
Hope you get it soon!!!!
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

luguille
03-21-2004, 01:54 AM
Thanks to you and Rashmi for your responses. I'll be looking for her on ebay and will definitely email her.
Thanks!
Lou

heidi_timms
03-21-2004, 02:48 AM
Well with the new sewing house and design for Snazzybaby, I just want to mention that they are now more expensive now than the buggybag! $98!!! Can you believe it?

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

etwahl
03-21-2004, 09:40 AM
neve, how does yours wash? do you wash it frequently? e.g. does tristan eat out in it frequently? and if so, does it fade? i'm thinking of getting two for gifts.

i just emailed kristie and she is going to give free shipping and a free bib, but i wanted to know when that would expire, so i'll post those details separately. i was hoping for a percentage off, but no dice :( what was the deal when you arranged neve? i can't recall. they are a lot pricier now. $98! yikes.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

s_gosney
03-22-2004, 01:04 AM
okay...I'm back home now with my real internet. :) Thanks so much for all of the helpful info and links! I went ahead and returned the infantino one b/c it's not washable and not very padded, so now I have some shopping to do. :) Thanks again!

kelly ann
03-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Oh my goodness...$98???? How in the world did it go up in price so much? I actually bought the baby a la cart, but that was about a year ago. I looked into the Snazzy Baby then but it was not even close to $98. I had trouble justifying the $50 for our cover, but that looks kind of cheap now - 50% of the Snazzy Baby!

mommd
03-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Just looked on Ebay and she has some more for sale! :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-22-2004, 12:12 PM
I got a free blanket I believe, I obught one as a gift and the blanket was very small, but since I supplied my fabric they made me a large blanket using all of my fabric. I forgot what I paid but it was not that!!!!!

I never have washed mine, but we have a rule, no eating in the stroller, car seat or this (I guess as we got to restuarnats that will change for this) but we have yet to wash it. I doubt mine will fade since it is the same fabric Zolo uses and I have never heard a "fade" complaint on their prodcuts.

I love my shopping cart cover...if I had a girl I would buy that bright pink one on the website...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

zuzu
03-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Me too! I hope our new ones come soon. I had to send back two of them, and really hope the third time's a charm. I ordered back in November, so we're really ready for it to arrive!

Meliisa, mom top Sarah (5.10.03)

DDowning
03-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I started in October! This is my third one too! I just got an email today from Kristie that the new design house is taking a bit longer than anticipated to get the kinks out but that we should get them soon. She's says we're going to love the new design when we get it.

zuzu
03-22-2004, 03:17 PM
I hope so! Thanks for the update, Deidra. My fingers are crossed that the new ones will work out for both of us.
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

Momof3Labs
03-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I can't believe $98 - I thought that the Buggybagg was expensive!!

Eloise36
03-23-2004, 12:01 AM
I just bought this shopping cart cover from Sewing Up Treasures on Ebay (Ebay ID: sewinguptreasures):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2382815571&category=20414

I haven't received it yet, but like the fact that it can be folded up into a small package that I can keep in my diaper bag.

HTH!

hellokitty1
03-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Sherri-

I actually just bought the Infantino from WM this weekend too. It's the one with toys that covers back to front (not just the bar). But when I waw in he parking lot after leaving, I tried to put it on and it wasn't long enough to reach the push bar. If I actually pull it far enough to velcro around the push bar the leg holes would not be where the cart's leg holes are. What a waste. I'm going to return it this weekend.

On that note, I really want one bad and I've see a few within my price range, up to ~$40. But my biggest concern right now is buulkiness. While the apadding is nice, I don't want to get one that is so padded that DD can't use it for too long. At the moment, I am debatig between sewcute boutique and covers4kids. Anyone have expericen with both and how they compare from a bulkiness standpoint and can the covers4kids fit in a diaper bag?

cccat
04-07-2004, 04:09 PM
>I just bought this shopping cart cover from Sewing Up
>Treasures on Ebay (Ebay ID: sewinguptreasures):
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2382815571&category=20414
>
>I haven't received it yet, but like the fact that it can be
>folded up into a small package that I can keep in my diaper
>bag.
>
>HTH!

Hi,

I'm looking for a shopping cart/high chair cover which has a compact fold. Read your posting and wonder how do you like the cover so far. Does it cover enough area around the cart/chair? Have you used it on a restaurant high chair? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Eloise36
04-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I got it last week and love it. It's very well made and reversible, with a colorful print on one side and a single color small print on the other. The pocket is attached, and the cover folds into it for storage. I like the size of the cover a lot - it fits well folded in my Skip Hop diaper bag.

Functionally, the cover has worked really well. So far, I've used it on a BJ's shopping cart, a Targets cart, a Giant Supermarket cart and a restaurant high chair. Although it's elastic all around, I managed to get the cover onto a Target shopping cart one handed. Unlike the Infantino cover I bought and returned, it covers the whole seat and the bar. It definitely covers enough area around the carts and the chair.

Once the cover was on, it stayed in place really well, and that was true for every single shopping cart I've tried to date. It also supports DS very well even without the extra padding. I am happy about that because DS is 6 months and not sitting all that well yet.

The cover worked well as a high chair cover, though it was a little big so the fabric bunched up around DS a little. Just wanted to mention that because it's designed to be a shopping cart cover and so might not be the optimal high chair cover. However, it works well enough for us that we won't need a separate high chair cover. **Comment added on 4/8: the cover was used as a high chair cover again today and I found the fit just right. Also, the attached pocket was positioned out of DS' way so I could keep his toys there. I highly recommended it as a high chair cover **

All in all, I am very pleased with the cover. It's a great buy at $20 + $3.85 shipping. The only feature I would have liked is a pacifier/toy loop, but that's minor. The seller was also great - I received the cover within 3 days of purchasing it.

Here's a thread with other reviews on Sewing Treasures shopping cart covers...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=3355&mesg_id=3355&listing_type=search

HTH! Please let me know if you have any questions :)

liya
04-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Vivian and everyone honestly get the one from sewcuteboutique. You all wont be dissapointed. Its relatively inexpensive comes with all the perks(pillow, click on safety, pockets and toy loops)....She is super nice to work with tell her i sent ya..She will totally work with you on the fabrics etc..And she has some cute fabrics...LOL They arent bulky and they look extremely well made...Im really picky with sewing and this is top notch...

ginamlee
04-08-2004, 01:24 AM
I really LOVE our Buggy Bagg. I bought it before my daughter was born because someone found a closeout at a boutique and shipped it to me. I didn't even know if I wanted the thing, but figured I could give it a try.

I rarely go to the grocery store, but we do eat out frequently (probably because I rarely go to the grocery store...LOL). I had intended to use a hook-on chair for when we eat out, but Autumn is not sitting on her own yet and has outgrown her infant seat, so I decided to try the Buggy Bagg in the resturaunt high chairs. This thing is awesome. She's able to sit with it, and is very comfy. She's fallen asleep several times, and we are able to prop her with the pillow that is included.

Additionally, the fact that it rolls and zips together has been invaluable. So easy and so orgainized. I keep it in the back of the SUV and now I really don't think dinner out would have been possible (or at least not enjoyable - because we'd have to pass her back and forth and take turns eating until she can sit in the highchair unsupported) without this!

jec2
04-08-2004, 11:21 AM
I just order one from sewcuteboutique (the cowpoke print). It shipped yesterday and I am so excited. I'll let you all know what I think once it comes. Linda, does it fit on restaraunt highchairs?

hellokitty1
04-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Juliet-

I got mine Monday but haven'thad a chance to use it yet. But the minute DH opened tha package, Sydney grabbed the matching pillow, walked around the house with it and then laid it down and put her herad on the pillow. (I missed this, of course). Anyway, the qualitiy is awesome and Cathy is great to work with. She made mine with thinner batting and I had two different kinds of fabric. I got Hello Kitty on one side and a jungle print on the other for a future boy. I do sort of regret it bc I think both sides are gonan show in the cart and it the fabrics clash. But I can live with that. I think the cover laid out on the floow seems really big, but not bulky. Once it's rolled up, it's fine. And I'm certain it will fit on a high chair. I plan to post a review and pictures when I finally get to use it.

jec2
04-08-2004, 01:38 PM
I'd love to hear how you like it, especially since you got less batting. I wondered whether I should request that too, but decided to just make it easy and get it how she normally makes it. Hopefully it won't be gigantic.

boys2enough
04-08-2004, 03:05 PM
"I just bought this shopping cart cover from Sewing Up Treasures on Ebay (Ebay ID: sewinguptreasures):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2382815571&category=20414

I haven't received it yet, but like the fact that it can be folded up into a small package that I can keep in my diaper bag."

Chime in to say that I have one of those "Pocket pak." I actually bought it for our trip overseas but didn't get to use it there. It is nice and compact, great for traveling. I also have the regular seat cover made by the same lady. She is very nice to work with. If you e-mail her, you may be able to ask her to custom-make you one with fabrics that you like. Both of mine are blue toile. HTH. Lin

Disclaimer: I am not related to this eBay seller in whatever way. lol ;-)

cccat
04-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Hi Louise,
Thanks for your quick response with such a thorough and helpful review and really appreciate your follow-up review on its use as a highchair cover. I was considering 1)Sewing Up Treasure 2) Sew Cute Boutique and 3) Cover4kids. After your review, I've decided to go for Sewing Up Treasure. Now I just need to choose a fabric...

cccat
04-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi Lin,
Thanks for the custom made idea. I'm so tempted to get a fabric for this cover and use the same fabric for a matching custom made diaper bag through the current WW bag co-op.

Eloise36
04-10-2004, 12:54 AM
That sounds like a very cool idea! Please post a picture if you do that :) I would love to see it.

JenCA
04-10-2004, 11:39 AM
We have the Buggy Bagg and love it! Excellent product. :)

jec2
04-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Ours arrived yesterday and I love it. I was giddy with laughter when I opened the package (especially since I never thought I'd NEED this, but DH wouldn't let me put DS in a highchair at a restaraunt last weekend, so I had to have one :)) I love the cowpoke print and the red accents and also like that there are loops all over the place to attach toys to (even on the pillow so that I can attach it to the cover itself and not have it drop on a dirty floor).

But, upon close inspection I noticed that the trim around the leg holes isn't stitched perfectly. The stitches run-off of the trim and in one part it actually puckers the printed fabric. Of course, this is only cosmetic, but I'm just a little bummed. Do you think I should just accept that this is still functional and call it a good product or do think it is worth getting having Cathy fix it? I was thinking that I could just fix it myself. Oh, I wish I never sat down and inspected it last night.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4284.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4285.jpg

wendinbill
04-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Honestly, I would just keep it. It's only a shopping cart cover, and nobody but you would know the stitching was off. I'm pretty picky myself, but for something like a shopping cart cover, I wouldn't care.

jec2
04-10-2004, 06:01 PM
That's kinda what I'm thinking too, but for some reason it just sorta bugged me last night. I think I will just keep it.

hellokitty1
04-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Also posting this as a seprate post in this forum...

So I got my cover Monday but had to wait til this weekend to try it out. Thank goodness the weekend started Friday! :)

It is AWESOME. Here are the details of what I got. I got the Hello Kitty print on one side but rather than get the complimentary fabric on reverse, I opted to get a second fabric for a boy just in case in the future. When I first got it, I had doubts though bc the way I imagined using it, I thought that both sides would show and then clash since they look nothing alike. But when I finally used it for the first time, I realized that one one side really shows.

As far as bulkiness of the batting, which was my main concern, Cathy told me she was making them with 10 oz batting but could use something else if I preferred. I wasn't able to get to the fabric store to see how thick 10oz batting was but I called the local store and the girl said it was like an inch thick (I think). Anyway, I trusted Cathy and asked her to go with something about half the thickness of 10 oz. I don't know ultimately what she used but it is just fine with me.

The pillow is very cute but it is in her crib now. I just can't fathom having to keep up with another "object" while we're out. I'll have to start checking inventory b4 we leave anywhere to make sure I have everything. But as Juliet (I think) noted, there is a tag on the pillow that you can loop through the strap. But other than that, I don't know how else to keep the pillow attached with the cover itself.

I used it on several shopping carts and high chairs and the fit is great. I even used it on those plastic rolling high chairs that have a higher back on them and it fit well on it too. And it's great in the wash. I through it in with her other clothes in cold/cold and tumbled dry low and it came out unscathed. And the fabric quality is very good, very soft.

Needless to say, we got some stares and one comment asking where I got it from. I am a neat freak/germ freak and I never thought about a shopping cart cover til lately and I am so glad I did. Now I don't have to stress out about putting Sydnay in a cart or high chair since it's all covered up.

HTH's someone that might be considering getting one. Regardless of who you buy it from, conceptually, the product is great.

liya
04-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Ill check mine tommorow morning.....but ive washed the cover 2 times already and i havent noticed anything :)..

jec2
04-12-2004, 02:05 AM
I am so glad you like it. I wanted to use ours on Friday, but DH is still adjusting to the notion of drawing attn. to ourselves with such a "loud" cover.

For attaching the pillow, I was thinking about just using those plastic-link-a-doo thinga-majingy that I am sure we all have--like the ones attached to the gymini and attaching it to one of the toy loops or something on the cover. But, threading the belt through it is a great idea.

cccat
04-12-2004, 03:24 PM
I sure will if I can find a fabric (or two, for the reverse side) that's soft and yet strong enough to make a good shopping cart cover and a diaper bag. I'm also thinking about a matching sling/baby carrier (mainly used for a hip carrying position), too. Since I don't sew and know nothing about fabrics it'll take a while for me to learn about different fabrics and make a decision on the pattern... I don't know if I'll ever make it in time for the WW bag co-op. I hope I can get some help on this board...