PDA

View Full Version : The new LE totes, anyone? or suggestions for toddler bag?

teddy
03-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have any of the new Lands End totes? The microfiber or the striped ones? I am looking for a review because I need a new bag!!! It's spring and I want a new bag.

I have 2 ISM bags and the pockets don't keep me organized as much as I thought they would. I need to carry a sippy cup, small tupperware of Cheerios, some diapers and wipes, changing pad, wallet, keys, and phone. A little extra space would be good.

The ISM bags fall forward when I lean over and they sometimes slip off my shoulder. I have a Mackenzie Kids backpack but it's too big. I am considering the Kate Spade backpack or medium tote. I can't find pics of the Burberry tote to estimate size. I thought I might go the designer route but then the LE bags seem to have everything I want.

Any reviews or suggestions for others to consider? I don't want to go the custom route, though. TIA! :)

JustMare
03-22-2004, 10:06 PM
A mom on Urban Baby NYC commented on the LE tote a while back. She said she's been through dozens of bags and the new LE Tote is her favorite. It's well organized and the perfect size.

I was considering it, but don't know if I'd like a tote style bag. Plus, I hate how LE does not offer detailed pictures! :(

If you get it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Ang6
03-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi,

I just got the LE small pink tote. It's okay. It's cute, but I don't like the canvas straps (pink on one side, tan on the other). Plus, I think the straps are a bit too short- it doesn't carry that nice on my shoulder. Maybe would work better for a smaller person?

As far as room, for one toddler on short trips, it's great. I have an 8mo old and a 2 yr old and max it out. I fit 4 diapers, a wipe case and sippy cup in one side. In the other side: a bottle, formula can, and burp cloth. It has an extra little pocket that holds my wallet and cell phone. It also has a detachable key ring.

My verdict is still out on this one. I'd rate it maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10. I still haven't found the perfect bag for me yet. It's hard, isn't it??!! :)

jamsmu
03-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Just got the striped LE small tote. Very cute, very summery. I will love using it this summer as a regular bag. But I think it is too small for most mom's needs. It has 2 sections, one has 2 mesh, elastic holders--bigger than bottle size, the other has 2 other mesh holders (same size) and a key holder. Both sides zip. It also comes with a waterproof bag for messy clothes that comes out. The straps are great for me--I'm small, though. The interior is light blue, much better than my DIA which has a dark inside.

Generally, I like the bag and plan to use it for quick trips as ds gets bigger and needs less stuff, but I'm still searching for that perfect bag...

Let me know if you need more info.

Timmersmom
03-23-2004, 06:16 PM
I just got the black mini LE tote.

Here are some pics - not the greatest quality, but at least you can get an idea of what the bag is like on the inside.

However, the straps have only a 10" drop - which makes it hard for me to get it up on my shoulder if I'm wearing a coat or bulky sweater, so that's a deal breaker for me.

Other than the short straps, it's a great bag.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3620.jpg
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3621.jpg

-Elizabeth

Timothy 3/11/02
DD due 7/5/04

bubbaray
03-23-2004, 08:31 PM
I got the black one, which is all black (straps too) on the outside, light blue on the inside. I don't think I would like the tan and pink canvas straps on the pink version....

I too think the straps are too short, but they will do for summer. They would definitely be too short if you were trying to wear it over a winter coat.

I like the inside, but it is a bit small. There is no change pad, but I plan on putting the Huggies disposable change pads in there anyway. I also have the LE Updated DIA and LE Updated LT. For regular use, I think the LT is a better bag for me.

I think this will be my "nice" going out diaper bag. I'm not much of a pattern person, so the plain black will go with pretty much my entire wardrobe!

I think I could even pass this bag off as a regular purse instead of a diaper bag....

Melissa

AvasMama
03-24-2004, 03:07 PM
I have one of each size, both in black microfiber. I love them both -- I use the small one for everyday errands and the large one for travel. I pack very light, so the large one is just way too big for me for daily use. The small one is perfect though -- holds a few diapers, travel pack of wipes, changing pad (bought this separately since the small bag didn't come with one), lightweight blanket, spare sleeper, a couple of small toys and a bottle. It fits perfectly in the (very small) underseat bag of my Bugaboo -- many bags I tried did not fit in there very easily.

I like the quality and organization of both bags -- plenty of pockets and the light blue interior is great. I bought and returned several bags, including the Kate Spade medium baby bag (not Bugaboo friendly!), before I settled on these. I also liked that I could have them monogrammed. I got a little pink "A" on each bag, and it looks really cute.

When Ava is older and needs more toys and other stuff, I think I may need a medium-size bag. I am currently eyeing the Loom Bandicoot for this purpose, though I saw an adorable chocolate brown/pink Amy Coe bag at Target today that I am considering. It is surprising to me that after all my obsessing over designer bags, the ones that I like best are the least expensive!

Robyn

Ava 1-15-04

teddy
03-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Very helpful reviews, everyone! Thank you so much. I am leaning toward the small tote because I, too, don't carry too much stuff. If I feel like I am, I throw all of DD's stuff (cup, snacks, a toy) into a small paper shopping bag with handles and hook it on the stroller.

I may try out the Kate Spade bag in the store -- just to see -- but I probably will end up with the summery LE tote. :) You ladies are great!

sadie427
03-25-2004, 09:25 PM
I posted a review w/ pics of the large one a few weeks ago--it should turn up if you do a search. It's a bit too big for everyday use, but great for travel and daytrips. The straps do fit over a winter coat, but maybe the straps are smaller on the small one. The organization is great--three compartments, so one for me, one for diaper stuff, and one in the center w/ a waterproof snap out bag for solids feeding stuff, and plenty of pockets for toys, extra clothes etc. Absolutely terrific for a plane trip. The changing pad has zip pockets for wipes and diapers, so you can just take the changing pad into the airplane bathroom. And I have carried it all day around town, and didn't feel like I was carrying a suitcase, but it was a little large. What I ended up getting for an everyday tote was the "inflight tote" by ellington bags from ebags, not originally a diaper bag but also very well organized, and I just use the changing pad from my LE bag.

twinmama
03-26-2004, 12:50 AM
I'm thinking about getting the bigger one, but would that still be too big to use even for twins? I have a large canvas tote that I use now, but the thing is beyond HUGE, even for using with twins. I would be using it mostly for when we're going to be out for most of the day, carrying pretty much the same things you do, except doubled.

--Lisa

wendinbill
03-26-2004, 10:25 AM
That chocolate/pink one at Target is adorable....

jamsmu
03-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Just wanted to let you know that I know LOVE the summer stripe little tote!! I've been using it for the past 3 days and I feel so much more free! (That free one from the hospital was so ugly!) Anyway, I was surprised that I am able to fit 3 diapers, large burp cloth, long sleeve/pant onesie, wipes, 2 bottles and 2 teethers in the baby side! And I have plenty of room left in the mommy side! I'm much more organized now, too! I'm keeping DS' food in a cooler in the car.