PDA

View Full Version : MY SKIP-HOP IS HERE!!! -- REVIEW

robmab719
03-23-2004, 07:24 PM
The UPS lady just delivered my Cotton Candy Pink Skip-Hop and I couldn't wait to unwrap it. My first impressions were that the color was awesome, but the fabric was more heavy-duty than I'd envisioned. Very similar to the LE backpacks. Guess I was picturing more of a microfiber?

So, like any good diaper bag addict, I immediately started transferring my things from the old bag into this new one. I was immediately impressed by the organization of the Skip-Hop. There are two shallow pockets that are perfect for diapers and wipes. The deep middle inside pocket is lined in the same light pink as the outside, so no black hole effect (even though the two bottle pockets are black). On the outside, there is a back pocket where the changing pad fits, two front pockets where I put my wallet, checkbook, sunglasses, lip gloss, mirror, keys and a couple of pens. There's also a separate pocket for a cell phone and a mesh bottle pocket that is deep enough to accomodate my Aquafina bottle. The shoulder strap is nice and wide and adjusts to different lengths. I tried it as a messenger and it worked fine on my 5'8 body. Very comfy.

Next, I tried converting from the shoulder strap to the stroller bag. It snapped onto my Zippy very easily. It hangs a bit low in my opinion...I will either have to adjust the straps or contort myself into strange positions to get things out of the bag while it is attached. But the fit is very secure and I wouldn't worry about it pulling the stroller over or falling off.

My only nit-pick with this bag is that the deep middle pocket is a little skinny. I was able to get a bib, burp cloth, thin receiving blanket, one Avent bottle and a toy in it without overstuffing it, but I guess I will be keeping our change of clothes in the car. Though I could stuff more things in the bag, that would make everything else too inaccessible.

I'm also a bit afraid of keeping this very light pink color clean. I wish they'd done the bottom in black. But you could avoid this problem altogether by choosing a darker color.

Tampa-Chrissie
03-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Mine should be here tomorrow! Thanks for the review.
-Chrissie

RiaHannam
03-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Glad you like it. I got mine last week and I'm still deciding if I'm returning it or not. Not so sure it works for me.

I need to play with it more - my company just left so hopefully I can accomplish that today.

Hope to hear more reviews on how people like/dislike theirs.

RiaHannam
03-25-2004, 11:26 PM
After filling up the bag, trying it on my strollers and playing around with it I decided to return it. I just wasn't thrilled with it. I did like it's organization but did not like how narrow it was..... And I really wanted to fall in love with this bag, but the love just wasn't there.

So I went back to my black similac bag - which I LOVE! Am I crazy or what??

Still searching for a great spring/summer bag........

mattysmom
03-26-2004, 05:26 PM
I recently received my Skip-Hop and took it on a 5 day trip to Disney with 13 month old ds. Overall, I am very happy with this bag. Perhaps I'm not that picky (or I'm really sick of my LE Messenger that I've been using all year) - but it worked great. I kept diaper supplies in one of the zip pockets, my wallet/keys, etc in the shallow pocket, a blanket and change of clothes at the bottom with a ziplock with food, etc on top. DS's sippy and cheerios were in one of the outside pockets and books/small toys in the other with MY waterbottle on the side. Even though it's narrow, I like it since it's not bulky when I'm wearing it like a messenger bag. And DH didn't mind carrying it either (ours is red). I stuffed the bag pretty full and liked how there wasn't a flap or anything to fumble with. And, it worked great on my Maclaren XT!

robmab719
03-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, I took the Skip Hop on its first outing today and I'm still really happy with the organization/functionality of it. However, if you are thinking of ordering one, GET A DARK COLOR!!!

The Cotton Candy Pink is already dirty and the only place I set it down was on the floor of a restaurant. Should've hung it on the back of my chair, but who knew it would get dirty so quickly at a restaurant! It doesn't just "brush off" either. I'm going to have to scrub it.

Now wishing I'd gone for navy or olive. Oh well.

ginamlee
03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
I just used my new Skip Hop for a week in San Francisco. We used public transportation the entire trip, so the bag got a workout.

I think it is wonderful!

Here is how I packed it:

* Cell phone in cell phone pocket (duh)
* bottle in mesh side pocket (also big enough for mommy water bottle)
* front pockets held extra bottles and toys
* one of the zippered half pockets held a checkbook wallet and a billfold wallet
* the other zippered half pocket held 2 formula dispensers and pacifiers
* the middle section has 2 side pockets where I put diapers and wipe case
*the rest of the middle section held an extra outfit and spit cloths

I used it on my Combi Ultra Savvy and was able to fold the stroller and sling it over my shoulder with the Skip Hop still attached. I also used the Skip Hop as a messenger bag and it worked great, even when loaded to the gills.

I am so glad that I bought this bag! It will be used for trips and vacations.

One problem, part of the velcro that closes the main compartment came unstitched, and I intend to get the bag replaced.

ppshah
03-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Gina,

Which color Combi US do you have? I have the navy gingham and I was wondering if the navy skip hop would coordinate with that?

Thanks!!!

ginamlee
03-27-2004, 07:47 PM
I have the Black Licorice, so I just got a black Skip Hop. It also matches my Leopard Combi Savvy Z. :) I would think that the navy Skip Hop would go great with your Navy Gingham.

JustMare
03-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Can I just say my search is over!!!

I LOVE my Skip Hop bag!! I received it in less than 24 hours from placing my order from Babyage.com. I was really surprised by the speedy (free) delivery.

I showed DH my new bag after dinner and his first comment was "How is all your cr@p going to fit into that narrow bag?" I knew with the organizational features it had, that it would work and surprised us both when it did with room to spare!

I don't quite understand it, but it's not heavy and not bulky. My Nicole Miller Messenger bag was a nightmare! Bulky, heavy, etc... This is such a pleasure! It's really well layed out.

For those still on the fence about this bag, this is what I have in it and it's not heavy, bulky or full:

Left Front open pocket: Change purse w/house key, Sunglasses
Right Front open pocket: Gum, mints, disposable camera
1st shallow zipper pocket: mommy stuff - wallet, date book, hairclips, etc...
Inside Main Section: in one side pocket I have diapers the other wipes out in the open I have a receiving blanket, burp cloth, bib and a toy.
2nd shallow Zipper pocket: Baby stuff - A&D lotion, hand sanitizer, baby brush, baby emory boards, tissues, etc...
Back pocket: Changing pad and clear dirty duds bag w/change of outfit (I had the clear bag from the NM bag)

My bottle cooler doesn't fit inside the bag, but that's fine with me.

The only thing I can't locate is the pen holder? Anyone find it????

The one small thing that bothers me is the loudness of the velcro but that's with any new bag. I'm hoping it softens up soon :)

I really think this is a wonderful bag. I can't wait to go to Target and attach it to the shopping cart! I have room again to shop! That darn NM bag used to take up half the cart!!

RiaHannam
03-31-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm so glad you like your bag. I ended up returning mine.. it just wasn't working for me. I see that I'm in the minority though with that opinion.

The pen holder is in the front right pocket - there are a couple of them. I think that's where you have your mints, gum and camera ;-)

JustMare
03-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks Maria. I never looking inside the pockets, I was looking on the outside of the bag.

Sorry the bag didn't work for you. I can see how the bag isn't for everyone.

Living in the city and walking everywhere, I have to carry alot of stuff on my stroller. For a city mom it's a godsend.

Thanks again for the tip!