PDA

View Full Version : Best messenger bag?

DebbieJ
03-25-2004, 07:45 PM
I have the LE Lil Tripper. Seems to be the right size but the wrong shape. I can wear it messenger style, but it is a tad thick with the changing pad in teh back and all.

Any good messenger style bags out there?

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

HoneymoonBaby
03-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Well, I don't know what your taste is, but I just got a Kate Spade large messenger and I really like it. It's similar in size to a Loom Marsupial, but it's much less structured, so it hugs the body better. It also doesn't look like a diaper bag at all. The changing pad is nice and big and padded, but it rolls up small, and there are quite a few organizational pockets on the inside. It's pricey, but I figure I'll be using it every time I leave the house, so it's worth it. If you're not stuck on having a black one (like I was), you can probably find a colored one on E-bay pretty cheap. I know KS also makes a medium messenger that's smaller than the large one that I have -- it looked way too small for what I need, but might work for you.

robmab719
03-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Two of my favorites are:

Bumble Bags
http://www.diaperbags.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=134

Oi Oi Messenger
http://www.diaperbags.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=178

There's also the Fleurville Mothership, but I don't like it as much because of the vinyl overlay...looks plastic-y to me.

http://www.diaperbags.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=128

All of these come in various prints/colors.

lmariana
03-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Here are the messenger bags I have or have had:

1. Loom Marsupial (2)
2. Tote Le Monde Geneva (for sale)
3. Fleurville Alpha 7
4. Skip Hop Duo (2)
5. Oi Oi Blue Striped Messenger (returned)

I have returned the Oi Oi bag, because the strap is not adjustable and is WAY too short to even be worn messenger style. Also, the exterior and interior are cotton with no coating, so cleaning would be difficult. www.diaperbags.com

I own two Marsupials and two Skip Hops...these are obviously my favorites! I love the Marsupial because it has AMAZING organization and is super stylish. All the closures are magnetic, which I love because I'm not a fan of velcro. The exterior and interior are nylon (with a layer of PVC inbetween) so cleaning is easy. The only issue is that the adjustable strap is a tad short on its longest setting. At 5'2" I can wear it messenger style comfortably, but others find that it's not a good messenger style bag. I have it in black and moss green. www.loomlife.com

The Skip Hop are a great bag. For $50, you get a messenger bag/stroller bag with awesome organization, lightweight, and durable materials. The downside to the Skip Hop is it's unisex styling and long narrow main pocket. Neither of these bother me, but if you want a "cute" bag, this isn't for you. I have a red one for me and a navy one for my hubby. www.skiphop.com

The Tote Le Monde is a great classic, messenger style bag with awesome colors. It has an adjustable strap and very durable matertials. The exterior is woven plastic and the inside is lined in clear vinyl. A little low on organization, but a huge changing pad and great desgin. No one would ever know this was a diaper bag. www.totelemonde.com

Fleurville's Alpha 7 works messenger style, shoulder style, or as a backpack! Very handy! Awesome, Loom-like organization, high-quality materials, and tons of space make this bag really great. The closure for the main compartment is velcro, which some people don't like. www.fleurville.com

If I could only buy ONE bag, it would be a basic black Skip Hop. Super handy, great space, and goes with anything. :)

If you want any more info or pictures of these, let me know! Hope this helps you out a bit!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

kensjen
03-26-2004, 02:34 PM
I guess it depends on how much you want to spend, LOL! Everyone has given good suggestions. I have a Kate Spade messenger and I love it. It is the only bag that I have had since Jonah was born that I have actually used a lot! I have had and returned most of those mentioned above for various reasons, and always come back to the KS. The only thing I do not love about it, is the lack of pockets/organization. For a baby bag, you really need that. It has a few pockets inside and one on the back, which is not enough. It does sort of have that black hole thing sometimes! What has helped for me is using a few smaller zip bags, one for my personal stuff (lipstick, gum, hand sanitizer, etc) one for baby (extra paci, small toy, etc) and then a wet bag of course for dirties. It has really helped, so I am not always stopping, digging at the bottom of the bag....because it really is a good sized bag.

Of course you can find a less expensive messenger bag than the KS. But I feel like I have gotten my moneys worth so far, and it is still in great shape after 8 months of using it almost every day. It really does look new! I'm thinking of getting another one, she has a few new ones that just came out for spring. I'm tired of trying out bags that just don't work for me!

Hope you find something! I know how crazy the search can be!!!!

khakismom
03-26-2004, 02:56 PM
I owned a Kenneth Cole Reaction black messenger bag that I got from BRU when Kathleen was first born. It was the perfect messenger--tons of compartments, very stylish, black so it went with everything, not too thick, with a nice long, adjustable strap that could be worn over the shoulder or messenger style. It was $75. I don't think they are available at BRU any more. But you might try eBay (in fact, I think this is it right here http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2385394890&category=15558). Or I know TJ Maxx and stores like that carry KC bags.

Or there's the ultimate messenger bag--the TimBuk 2 (http://www.timbuk2.com/). You can order their choices, or build your own with the size and colors you want! Very cool! :)

DebbieJ
03-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Wow--thanks everyone!

I just ordered a SkipHop--figured I'd start low. I *knew* I should have bought one when Gina posted the free shipping code! I tried it and it didn't work. Oh well. $8 for being a procrastinator.

I really like the Fleurville and the Loom, but can't justify that expenditure just yet. :P

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

ETA: I mentioned this board & the free shipping deal in the comments section when I ordered & I just got an email saying they'll ship for free! Woo hoo!

missliss55
03-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a Mum messenger bag or has seen it IRL?

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

dogmom
03-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Some people really seem to like the Timbuk2 messenger bags. I don't have one yet, but I'm seen them and saving up my pennies. ;) I'm planning to get a pee wee with a central pocket. You can check out their web site: www.timbuk2.com.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

celfsh
03-26-2004, 04:59 PM
I have an Oi Oi messenger bag and love it! I was kinda nervous ordering it since it doesn't have an adjustable strap and a few people had mentioned it was too short for them, but it works great for me.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

khakismom
03-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Celeste, which one did you get? The black dot one or another print? Can you do a quick review? Can you describe the inside? What can you fit inside? (I know, I sound like a 3-year old with all the questions! :))

I am still eyeing the black dot one on backorder until next month. Thanks for letting me pester you!!

burkesilver
03-26-2004, 07:38 PM
I've seen them IRL and thought they were quite nice, especially if you are looking for something DH could use too. Probably not big enough for my daily needs, however. I think they are now offering a few more colors, like olive green I seem to remember...