PDA

View Full Version : On the Ella bags, which extras are a must for you?

Chelsey333
03-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Still dreaming of getting that Ella bag. Do any of you use the paci loop? I was wondering if it really is functional. Do you just hang the pacifier on it? Doesn't it get dirty, or is there a way you prevent that? Just wanted to hear more about what features you feel are the most important on your Ella bag. When I get one, I think I want vinyl inside, feet on the bottom, key ring, extra pockets, a zipper, and a paci pouch.

lmariana
03-28-2004, 02:31 PM
I bought my Ella bag from the Bag Swap, so I didn't get to design it, but it has extra pockets, make-up case, button closure, and the key loop.

The extra pockets I love! They help keep everything very organized. The key loop works well now, after I added a metal hooky thing from another bag. The key loop Ella attaches is just a fixed fabric loop. Others have mentioned the paci loop is better because it detaches with a snap. The matching make-up case is great for holding small, loose things. The button closure is good, but I find myself not closing the bag at all most of the time.

If I were to design my own, I would get the metal feet, extra pockets, paci loop, and a magnet closure.

Hope this helps a bit!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

pritchettzoo
03-28-2004, 06:06 PM
After talking with Ella and Whimsical Wears, and seeing the Ella firsthand, I would get a Whimsical Wear bag over an Ella. You'll save money for one thing, and many of the Ella "extras" are included in the price of the WW. I was not impressed with the quality of the Ella. The fabric used on the inside of my bag seems to be low-quality broadcloth and the "vinyl" liner is already looking crinkled and wrinkled and I haven't even used it. The edge that shows (the rim of the bag if that makes sense) is not finished-looking. The straps are thin and do not feel sturdy at all. They are only in about an inch and are single stitched. I would be worried about putting more than just diapers in this bag. I ordered a makeup bag and it is at least sewn straight, but the inside of the bag is the same low-quality material. I am worried about putting makeup inside because if any makeup gets on it, it will be ruined. Definitely not worth $15.

I have not yet gotten the WW bag, but from talking to the seamstress and addressing the concerns about construction and fabric quality, WW uses higher-quality fabrics and a different method of constructing their bags. I think there will be a first wave of WW bags out in order for IRL reviews to be posted before the co-op ordering period is over.

Just MHO! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jasabo
03-29-2004, 12:01 AM
I have an Ella Elaine in the black Fashion Girls (looks like the bag someone else posted pix of, except I have piping instead of ribbon between the two fabrics). I've had it for about a month and I've really enjoyed it....I LOVE the fabric! I think it's a really fun print.

A few complaints - like someone else mentioned, it's not as "stiff" as I thought it'd be - it kind of folds over a little bit toward the bottom when I sit it down. Also, the piping doesn't match up on either side, and some of the stitching is a little crooked. You can't really see the crooked stitching unless you look closely, but it was pretty expensive and I'd hoped the workmanship would be better.

That said, it's a really pretty bag and I do like it. I love the 6 elastic pockets inside. I'd definitely recommend getting the extra pockets - I'm able to carry 2 diapers, wipes, disposable changing pad, 2 Avent bottles, 1 bottle of water and a burp cloth in all the pockets, and still have a pocket for mom-stuff. And room on the bottom for a few small toys and my wallet. I think it's very roomy and easy to stay organized.

I have the paci loop, but don't really use it. I always just attach their binkies to their bibs or shirts before we go out, so no need to carry them on the loop. Sometimes I use it for my keys, or hang the boys' sunglasses through it. Oh, that was another complaint - they made my paci loop out of pink gingham, which doesn't match my fabric at all...very weird choice, like they just threw it on at the last minute. Again, not a huge deal, but not great workmanship.

Feet on the bottom might be nice, though it may depend on how you pack your bag as to whether they'd keep your bag totally off the floor, because, like I said, my bag isn't all that stiff. Maybe vinyl inside would help that though.

I do wish I'd gotten a snap on the straps to keep them together because they tend to slip down my arm when I'm carrying it.

Overall, I think it's a nice bag and I think you'd be happy with it. While I have some complaints, I generally like mine. However, I'm really looking forward to receiving my Whimsical Wears bag. Kim's been fabulous to work with, her prices are MUCH better, she has more fabric options, and she seems to have a better feel for high quality workmanship then my experience with Ella, though admittedly I haven't received her bag yet so I can't say for sure. I'm in the "test" group though, so hopefully will receive mine soon and can give a good review.

Have fun shopping!
Lisa - mom to 9 month old twin boys

khakismom
03-29-2004, 12:44 AM
I have 2 Ella backpacks and ordered another bag about 2 weeks ago. Extras that are a must for me is the interfacing to make it stiffer, and the metal feet. I also prefer the pockets elasticized.

The paci pouch is fabulous! :)

Chelsey333
03-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Anna, I am really glad you said that. Bec last night I was thinking about how much I would be spending on the Ella and it would be about 100.00 to get everything I want in it. The only reason I wasn't going to do the WW coop is bec I fell in love with the Cabana stripe fabric on the Ella's webpage. Kim said it is a hard fabric to find. But now I thinking I should pick another fabric and try out WW and hopefully Ella will have a Co-op later in the summer that I can get that Cabana stripe bag. 45.00 is a great deal for a custom made bag, might as well take advantage of it! Thanks!

supersparkee
03-29-2004, 09:47 AM
I agree with you on the interior lining fabric and the straps - neither are very substantial! Also on the straps, instead of making both sides of the straps with the outer material, they made them with one layer of outer material and one layer of lining and that's it, which is why they don't feel substantial.

kelly ann
03-29-2004, 11:37 AM
After looking at WW and other eBay bags, I think it would be nice if Ella coordinated the inside fabric or at least used something heavier at no extra cost. It seems that a lot of other sellers offer this as standard and it really adds a nice complete look. I know it is offered as a add-in, but at that point the cost seems to get so high.

Anyway, Lisa we are all eagerly awaiting your reviews of your WW! It seems like such a great value and Kim seems so responsive to customers.

blnony
03-29-2004, 04:33 PM
I bought my Ella during the 1st coop. Here is what I got and what I'd do different:

I got the key loop; useless unless you have a clip on your keyring. I
I'd get the paci loop instead since it has a clip and use it for keys. (The paci is always in my kids mouth, so no need for storage....another post on that I guess....;) )
I didn't get vinyl and don't really need it. I only carry water in a sippy when on the go or milk it in its own insulated thing, not in my bag. And I have a hot pink interior and and lighter print outer, and I can just turn it upside down and get crumbs out and there isn't a stain on the bag.
I would get extra interfacing. The bag is really lightweight and a little more stiffness would help it keep its shape and not collapse so much.
I got the extra pockets and love them. But I got the Elaine size and now wish I would have gone with the Lily. But thats just a preference.
I don't like zippered bags, it takes away too much room in the bag, IMO. And I have just a black twill bottom fabric and its worn much better than I would have thought. I don't see a need for the metal feet; it would make it harder to go into my stroller basket I think.
I did get the small matching make up bag and love it. I can put my little things in there and keep with them and know exactly where it is. I love it.
I don't use changing pads anymore, and never did. I just used a flannel receiving blanket and it worked great.

Edited to add: I do have the snap on the straps and love it. It makes it so much easier to carry it on my shoulder and carry a toddler.