PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Fleurville Mothership (and Loom comparison)

lmariana
03-28-2004, 02:24 PM
I received my Fleurville Mothership this week! It's a great big bag! Anyone that's looking for a day bag or has multiples, this is definitely one to consider.

I bought the White Corduroy color. All of Fleurville's Mothership bags have a clear vinyl layer covering all exterior fabric. This turns off some people, but I love the idea of being able to wipe it clean with a wet cloth. This will also serve as my pool bag this summer. There are three exterior pockets, one large one in the back, and two side pockets with a velcro closure. The strap is a good lenth for shoulder use or as a messenger style. The strap is not adjustable, and when being worn messenger style, this hits a little high. The strap has a nylon underside and the same fabric with vinyl on the top side. It is nicely padded as well. To protect the bag, there are 4 large metal feet on the bottom.

The interior is a caramel colored nylon. There are three interior pockets, one very large one in the back that holds my diapers and burp cloths, one long pocket up front which is perfect for holding a packet of diaper wipes, one shorter pocket up front, which will also fit a wipes packet. There is also an insulated bottle holder which will hold a jar of baby food and a 9 oz. Avent bottle on top of that. Opposite the bottle holder is a sleeve which holds the rolled up changing pad. You can remove the changing pad if you want the extra space. There is a key clip too.

The Mothership includes a large ditty bag and large padded changing pad, both nylon. If I fully pack this bag with my normal day-long supplies, I can only fill it up half way! This is a big bag. I could easily fit a pool towel on top of everything, if I wanted to.

The pictures below show it packed with the following:
Three size 3 diapers
Huggies wipes container
2 burp cloths
2 outfits
Sassy fomula container
Teether
1 jar of Stage 2 baby food
9 oz. Avent bottle
Bib
Stuffed doll
Ditty Bag containing sunscreen, a couple creams, spoons, hand lotion, Tylenol drops, etc.
Changing Pad

I usually add my Loom watermelon clutch too, but it's not in this picture. Fleurville make a matching wrist bag that serves the same purpose as the Loom clutch.

The pictures below also compare the Mothership's size to the Loom Marsupial. I's say the Mothership has about twice the capacity of the Marsupial. Let me know if anyone would like more photos or details. Enjoy!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3791.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3792.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3793.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3794.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3795.jpg

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

hcsl
03-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks so much for this review! I was very curious about how these compared. I was leaning toward the Mothership but wasn't sure exactly how much it would hold. I really need something into which I can cram all the things I never use but nonetheless feel compelled to pack up each time we leave the house. My current bag always seems like it's about to burst!

jk3
03-28-2004, 04:52 PM
It looks fantastic. Is the Mothership super heavy w/everything in it?

lmariana
03-28-2004, 05:58 PM
It's not a "heavy" bag on it's own, but once I pack it full it does start to feel heavy. I packed it full and compared it in weight to my full Loom and it was about the same, not a noticable difference, in my opinion. :)

Mariana

jasabo
03-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Wow, I didn't realize the Mothership was so much bigger then the Marsupial. It's so interesting that they were designed by the same person, as they many similarities. I really love the caramel color with the white. I wasn't crazy about my Loom and returned it, but have been considering a Mothership for all-day trips. Great review! Thanks!

Lisa - mom to 9 month old twin boys

khakismom
03-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Great review, as always, Mariana! :)

I have the Mothership in the Pink Multi Stripe and love it--it is my favorite bag of all my dipe bags! And I ended up getting the matching clutch from Pokkadots during the co-op, so now I'm set. Such a fun, stylish bag, that holds everything for my girls.

houseof3boys
03-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Mariana thanks for this review. I have always loved the Mothership bag (it is massive!) and I think it is so cool that you can keep a white bag clean. You have great tastes in bags my dear! :)

I also had no idea that the Loom was half the size. Thanks again.

sbjf
04-02-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm considering it as my second bag although I'm not certain yet.

I am thinking that I should get a 2nd bag that is dh friendly. I do want my 2nd on to be a neutral color though, I'm leaning towards a tan or khaki. It would be great if I could wear it mesg. style and I need it to be stain proof/water resistant.

I like this one you reviewed because you're right, it will make a good beach/pool bag I think. Do you know if I would be able to get that one in tan instead of white?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

jk3
04-02-2004, 10:17 PM
I just ordered one on ebay. There are a few still available.

lmariana
04-02-2004, 11:34 PM
I think they make a brown corduroy one, but you can see all the color choices on their website: www.fleurville.com. Enjoy!

Mariana

bugglemom
04-03-2004, 02:13 PM
I ordered a Mothership during the pokkadots co-op and I loved everything about it EXCEPT the strap was too short for me, and I wasn't even trying to wear it messenger style. I'm an average height so I'm surprised I haven't heard many other complaints about this. If oly that strap had been adjustable, it would have been my perfect bag.....Anyway, you're looks beautiful. enjoy it!

sbjf
04-04-2004, 03:22 PM
That drives me crazy! I had the same issues when purse shopping all my life but for some reason I didn't expect diaper bags to be a problem because they are so big I just assumed the straps would be big/long, too, but no such luck!

When I looked at the skip hop online it's strap also looked too short even on the models in the pics. Now Mothership is out. Patagonia's Vertical Mass may be an option, but there was something about it that made me think it wouldn't work for me, can't recall what it was.

If I do get a 2nd diaper bag it MUST be able to be worn mesg. style since my Marsupial can't really. And it MUST be dh friendly as far as style goes. AND it must be water/stain proof! LOL, good thing I'm not in a huge hurry for the 2nd bag.

We wound up not getting the Baby Sherpa as a gift for the shower, so since dh isn't too sold on a back pack anyway my search for 'car'/long day trip/amusement park/beach/pool, mesg. style, dh friendly diaper bag continues! :-)

lmariana
04-04-2004, 10:56 PM
You know, if you still like the Fleurville bags, the Alpha 7 is a great size and the strap is adjustable! I can wear it low. It's about the same size as the Marsupial, maybe a little larger.

I find the strap in the Skip Hop really nice and long actually, since it's adjustable you can set it anywhere. My hubby's 6'2" and can wear it low. So, if you're really liking the Skip Hop, it may be worth a shot! would you like for me to take some pics of hubby wearing it messenger style so you can get a better idea?

Another idea are the Timbuk2 bags, they are also messenger style and adjustable.

Hope this helps!

Mariana

sbjf
04-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Mariana :-)

I would love to see pics of your dh wearing the Skip Hop low, then I'd consider that bag again.

I'll look at the Alpha 7, too.

The Timbuk2's are nice looking but I need something with more structure, I don't think they stand up on their own.

Thanks again!

lmariana
04-06-2004, 11:46 AM
I'll try to bribe him into posing for me tonight!

Mariana

jk3
04-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I just received my Mothership in the mail (great deal on ebay) and I am really pleaed with it.

I'm short (5' 4) so I can wear this bag over the shoulder or messenger style.

It's really spacious (BIG) so there will be room for everything and seems to have great organization. It's a little bit too big to be my every day bag but I'm willing to give it a try.

I love the vinyl coating since I will be using this bag a lot this summer and won't have to worry about keeping it clean at the beach or pool. My other bag, which I love, is the Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack wouldn't work well for that purpose.