PDA

View Full Version : Need help with search of new fun bag! Been looking at Ebay sellers....

firsttimemommy
03-28-2004, 11:00 PM
I am looking for another bag (have a Marsupial that I love - but I want something fun and and different). I have been looking at the designers on ebay, but am not sure if their bags meet my criteria...

I MUST have a bag that cannot "fold" - KWIM? I guess you would call what I want HEAVY DUTY interfacing - just never sure how heavy duty it is. I got an Ella bag awhile back and was disappointed - not in the quality or workmanship - they did a beautiful job - it was just too flimsy for what I wanted. They said it could stand up on it's own, which it did, but it was not what I pictured as "stand up on it's own" - does this make sense??? I could fold it over several times - and that is NOT what I want. I want a stiff type stand on it's own.....

Can anyone tell me if the ISM's are this stiff or any of the sellers on Ebay, or Whimsical Wears? I like the idea of all the fabric choices with WW, but want to make sure the construction of the bag is what I am looking for. I also like the Cherry Pie Bags on Ebay, but same question. Also, trying to stay under $50 (why I started searching on Ebay) It doesn't have to be huge (have the Marsupial for that).

Thanks for any help:)

Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob due 4/28/04

Dscvrlifewith3
03-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Rhonda,

I am not sure about other designers and what they put in their bags. I know some of them that put canvas inbetween their bags, etc. I use a special type of stabilizer that is used in Roman Shades.

Cherry Pie bags, excellent designer -- you cannot go wrong with the quality plus she is the sweetest person. However if you look on her me page, she tells you that she folds the bags up and puts them in a Tyvek envelope to mail it to you.

I believe Marketa's bags are another on eBay you might like. Also an excellent designer.

To be honest, I think its going to be hard to find a handmade boutique bag with what you are wanting. Manufacturers use plastics in most their bags to achieve that stiffness or even spray stuff on it to make it stiff.

I know the girl who owns Girleighbags and she puts some type of material in hers to make it stiff. She has good craftsmanship and has some really adorable stuff. She doesnt like doing the same design twice, so if you see something you better bid on it. Another good seamstress and designer is hairbowslady. This woman has been so generous with her sewing wisdom and has been kind enough to share it with me. Sewing is her life and she has been making handcrafted boutique diaper bags for nearly 20 years. She has a lot of patchwork bags, very original stuff.

I wish you lots of luck!

firsttimemommy
03-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi Kim,

You are always so sweet and generous in your posts! Thanks for all the info and for all the recommendations.....I think you do understand what I'm looking for and I was afraid I wouldn't find a handmade bag with the stiffness I want - BUT, I am sure some bags are stiffer than others so I will just try some til I find I can live with - I guess what I want is just something stiffer than the Ella I got. It has to have some FORM to it, even if it may fold once or so, a super soft cloth bag just doesn't appeal to me. The Ella I had (did not add extra interfacing or anything b/c I didn't understand what it meant) folded in half and than half again VERY easily. To flimsy for me (but nothing against Ella quality - it was my stupidity about what to order)

I like the idea of the roman shade type stiffness you use. I think I will try one - my problem is that I have a terrible terrible time choosing a fabric - most love the opportunity to pick, but I get overwhelmed!!! Also my time is limited in being able to "shop" the fabrics. But I will look!

Thanks again - oh, couldn't find girleighbags on ebay. I also saw some called petaluma designs that looked comparable to the quality of all of those - have you heard of those? Between Marketa, Cherry Pie, ISM and Hairbowslady, which do you think is the stiffest? I will probably get one of yours and one of the others based on your recommendation ;)

Thank you thank you thank you!
Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob due 4/28/04

Dscvrlifewith3
03-29-2004, 11:48 AM
<<Thanks again - oh, couldn't find girleighbags on ebay. I also saw some called petaluma designs that looked comparable to the quality of all of those - have you heard of those? Between Marketa, Cherry Pie, ISM and Hairbowslady, which do you think is the stiffest? I will probably get one of yours and one of the others based on your recommendation >>

I am thinking either an ISM or the Hairbowslady has the stiffest bags. I know how Cindy of Hairbowslady makes her bags so that is what I base my opinion on. I also know that she uses the best quality notions as well. As for ISM, all of her bags are made with upholstry weight fabrics and even outdoor fabrics, which adds additional stiffness to the bag.

I am familiar with Petaluma Designs. She used to have pictures on her website on how she makes her bags. Look at her ME page on eBay. That should answer your questions about what she puts on the inside of her bags.

Have a great day!
Kim

parkersmama
03-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Rhonda,
I have an ISM bag and I think it's pretty stiff compared to other bags I've had. It definitely has more stiffness than the Bubblegum Bag and the Sally Spicer bags that I have. They fold easily where the ISM doesn't fold at all unless you force it. It stands on its own quite easily without folding. Also, it arrived in a large box, unfolded. I think that folding it would crinkle the fabric which is made to stay stiff...does that make any sense? I'm having trouble describing it! :)