PDA

View Full Version : Finally found a well-organized medium-sized messenger bag!

youngnan
03-30-2004, 10:44 AM
http://www.ameribag.com/products/abagcollectionindex.html

I found this after reading the raves about the Healthy Back Baby Bag. The HBB bag looked too large, but this works very well. I got the black, which I also carry to work. Very nice!

Baby just woke up, but I'll post a longer review later.

RiaHannam
03-30-2004, 05:35 PM
ooh, love the looks of that bag! What color did you get and how's the organization? Can't wait to hear your review....

MamaKath
03-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Oh my, I was just eyeing this one the other day!!! If you are able to post pics of the interior, I would love it. That is the one thing holding me back from ordering it. I am probably going to also order a WW backpack, but nothing beats my Ameribag Baby Bag's organization. I have an older Land's End Do it all that I was trying to switch stuff into, and now it is sitting in my hall way waiting with the rest of the stuff to be Ebayed. I am definitely still on the hunt for a bag that is not a back pack, lol.

Jsher
03-30-2004, 06:57 PM
How about this option? I own it, and really like. Can't beat the price

Jodi

RiaHannam
03-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Do you have pics of it all loaded up? And any with size comparisons to any other common bags? We'd LOVE to see that :7 !

Jsher
03-30-2004, 10:15 PM
I will be happy to send photos. Please give me a day or two, as they are delivering my new kitchen cabinets tomorrow, and the whole house is tore up!

I have not used it yet as a diaper bag, but since watching these boards, I dug it out again.

It is expandable, and the cooler section is great. It is a more managable bag than the Baby Sherpa. I did change the strap to a padded free one I got from LE.

The sections allow you to seperate items,and it has a laptop padded area. It is also a snappy red color.

It is my only messenger style bag.

What specific questions can I address? Sizewise it's about the size of the LE do it all, old style.

More later

Jodi

youngnan
03-31-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi again--back to say that I've done a few outings with this messenger bag, and it's a terrific baby-and-office bag--just what I had been looking for. It works wonderfully with a sling, and when I'm not carrying the babe, my sling comfortably fits into the bag on top of all my stuff.

Ready to wear: I really like that it opens wide with the curved opening, and the main compartment has two zippers, so I can open it with one hand (if I close it by putting both zippers in the middle of the opening). The strap is fully adjustable and there is an ergonomic padded shoulder pad through which the strap threads. That means I can switch the bag from behind to side to front, while my shoulder is still protected and comfy. This is terrific when I'm trying to reach into the bag while holding the babe. The design of this messenger also keeps the bag close to your body (that's the "healthy back" aspect of the tote), which makes it feel nice and light.

Babywearing-friendly: I've always been juggling my purse or diaper bag when slinging, but with this tote I just pop the babe in the sling and then put the strap of this bag over the other shoulder across my chest. Because the bag sort of hugs my body, everything feels manageable and streamlined even when slinging--I don't feel frumpy or overloaded like I might with a clunkier bag.

Style: The bag looks better IRL than in the photos. It really suits me--sporty, urban and trim. If you want to see the black, there are more pics on the www.ameribag.com site. Also, the bag is not as puffy as it appears in the photos--that's only when it's fully loaded, and it does hold a lot. For our swim lesson on Sat, the bag held a full-size rolled-up beach towel and baby towel on top of the diapering stuff! Normally, the bag is flatter and reminds me of a soft, sportier version of the Baby Bjorn clamshell bag.

Before buying this, I also worried about the appearance of the fabric, which is called "distressed nylon," but I think it's nice--similar to the LeSportsac fabric (reinforced with the graph pattern of stitching) but thicker. It seems very easy to keep clean and would probably wash easily. The interior is a light gray, so no black hole.

Organization: Lots of pockets inside and out. I am ambivalent about the use of velcro--a few of the wider pockets have a center velcro tab, which does make things more versatile. You can have them shut and pretend there are two "openings" on either side of the pocket. Or you can open it up for a larger pocket. But diapers and things do "catch" on the velcro, so I might just cut a few inches of hook-and-loop tape to cover up the velcro if I find I need those larger pockets.

There's also a large center compartment, where I keep an extra change of clothes, a clutch wristlet purse filled with my own things, my sling, etc.

There's an outside bottle pocket but no insulated bottle holder. What I use instead is the insulated bag from my Similac hospital freebie. I keep an extra bottle, baby food, bib and spoons in there, and the whole thing fits nicely when we need it.

I put my own changing pad in an outside pocket in the back (also closed with velcro).

Another plus is the key clip--I attached my key ring to it with one of those phone-cord stretchy plastic wristbands, and I can open doors without ever detaching my keys from my bag. Another small outside side-compartment closes with velcro, and that's where I put my cell phone.

For weekends, I do wish this were a tad larger, but this is the perfect size for everyday. FWIW, this is the bag that I decided upon after cancelling my Loom Marsupial order. I am glad I opted for the practical choice because this suits my needs better than some of the other more expensive bags.

Hope this helps!

Nan

RiaHannam
03-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Nan,

Thanks for so much detailed information. It sounds like a great bag. I am thinking of getting it! That red color looks really nice but I'm also interested in the blue. Need to think about that more.

And Jodi - yes I'd love to see pictures but it sounds like you're really busy. So post them when time allows.

Thanks again for all this info!

bcafe
03-31-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi Nan,
Just wanted to tell you that another Milwaukee area mom is on here!:) I am just north of Milwaukee. Betsy

youngnan
04-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Hi Betsy! Small world :) I live on the East Side, but our ped is in Mequon.

mattysmom
04-01-2004, 01:35 PM
That looks like a great bag! And, according to the site, everything is an extra 20% off today!

RiaHannam
04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
On which site, eBags?? I just went there but don't see an additional discount except for their already 27% off discount.

Or is this an April fool?

mattysmom
04-01-2004, 03:55 PM
I thought it said an extra 20% off - I think it cost around $31?

RiaHannam
04-01-2004, 04:15 PM
I'll have to get one tnen!
How on earth can I pass that up? I'll go investigate further.....
Thanks!

eta:
Okay I'm stumped. All I see is the $39.99 price. No sight of an additional 20% off.
Do I need to be some sort of eBags member or something??

mattysmom
04-01-2004, 04:49 PM
when I click on the link in the original post it says $31.99 and there's a banner across the top saying everything is 20% off today...

kathsmom
04-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Maria,

If you are a member at ebates, there is currently a coupon for 15% off your entire order at ebags.com. Plus, you get 6% back from ebates by ordering from them. It's free to sign up for ebates, so you might want to check it out!

HTH!

RiaHannam
04-01-2004, 05:05 PM
My goodness! I had to delete my cookies in order for the new page to come up! You must've thought I was crazy or something - so thanks for your help - I'm off to order one in Ocean!

mattysmom
04-01-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm glad it finally worked for you!

RiaHannam
04-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks for that info. Although I had already purchased the bag I signed up for Ebates anyway.... I've been meaning to do that.

houseof3boys
04-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks so much for the detail on the bag and what you put in it. I just sold my Urban Sling since I never liked the organization and it always looked lumpy when I packed it. This might just be my replacement for a messenger style.

Thanks again for taking the time to detail it out. :)

lerlerler
04-05-2004, 05:38 PM
CHEAP AT AVON.COM

http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/default.asp?rep_phone=&rep_email=&newdept=&s=frooglesearch&c=google&otc=HealthyBackBagbyAmeriBag&pf_id=4299&level1_id=4&level2_id=16&pdept_id=69

MamaKath
04-05-2004, 11:10 PM
I have a couple Ameribags and seem to be on my way to becoming an Ameribag junkie, lol! If only they made them in Vera Bradley prints I'd have the perfect diaper bag. ;-)

The Avon one is a smaller bag (I think it is the "small" size, but can't remember exactly which it corresponds to on the ameribag site www.ameribag.com they have great pictures and you can see some ofthe bags from different angles and such to see what they are like inside, etc). This is one of the backpack styles, and is much smaller than the Baby Bag one. It still has the great interior pockets and organization, but a sippy cup doesn't work in the outside sleeve that they show an umbrella in, the sleeve is too narrow. That is probably my biggest pet peeve with it, otherwise it would be the perfect quick trip bag for me. I do use this as a mostly my bag/purse, and then throw in a diaper, wipes container, and a small toy. Doesn't fit much else though. Also it is a cheaper nylon, although it has held up quite well.

The baby bag is a more rugged bag, bigger, better quality. Also it has a red or royal interior vs light grey. It comes with extras (ditty bag, changing pad, change purse/cosmetic case) for specific use a diaper bag.

The messenger bag is a different shape, though it is still supposed to have the light gray interior and lots of pockets. It is made of nylon with a built in grid pattern (reminds me of parachute pants for those of you who grew up in the 80s, lol), and comes in colors and black. It has an exterior strap that is padded and removes. I am waiting to see one in person, to be able to give further thoughts, but should be excellent given the company's rep for quality, versatile bags.

HTH figure out the differences between the different bags. :-)