PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag Suggestions

mindeva
04-01-2004, 09:26 AM
First time mom hoping for some opinions.....

I want to participate in the WW co-op, but need some help on which bag to select. I bought the biggest Kate Spade diaper bag to use as a carry-on a few years ago, so will have that for overnights or whatever. I know the KS's don't get very good reviews as far as functionality and daily use, so I am wanting to get a couple more bags. I do plan to get a Skip Hop based on the opinions on the forum. So, which WW bag would be a good choice to go with the other 2? I was thinking a medium sized bag, but am open to any suggestions. Just not really sure how I will use a diaper bag, but know I'm going to want something smaller than the KS that is cuter/dressier than the SH and really can't pass on the co-op! Also, assuming I pick a WW bag, will these 3 bags make a good combo?
THANKS!

lmariana
04-01-2004, 09:59 AM
In picking the right diaper bag for you, I'd first look at how you use a purse now. Do you prefer messenger style, tote style, shoulder style? Do you prefer high-end brands? Do you like fun, cute patterns or simple solid colors? Do you like one big open space, or lots of little pockets? Do you carry the whole purse in when you go shopping, or just take your wallet? You will probably want the same out of your diaper bag.

For me, I have a some messenger style diaper bag bags, a couple tote style, and two backpacks. I have a Loom watermelon clutch with my essentails that hops bags.

The Skip Hop is great, especially if you're going to be out with the stroller or using a shopping cart. I keep this one packed in my car all the time. This is well worth the money!

For my large overnight bag, I have a Fleurville Mothership, it's freakin' huge. Your large Kate Spade bag will serve wonderfully for that!

For a basic messenger style bag I LOVE the Loom Marsupial (www.loomlife.com) and the Fleurville Alpha 7 (www.fleurville.com). The Alpha 7 also converts to a backpack. I love the Marsupial's organization, and I get the most complements on the Alpha 7, it's a real show-stopper. The Skip Hop will also fall into this catagory, it's a wonderful messenger bag.

My tote style bags are the Chester Diaper bag (chesterhandbags.com) and an Ella Elaine tote. The Chester was a gift, and the Ella I bought for $20 off the Baby Bag swap. The custom WW bags would fall into this category. I love the organizational pockets in the custom diaper bags like Ella or WW, but I just don't think I'm the boutique diaper bag kinda gal. I think all the cotton makes me nervous about washing...that's just me though.

Some other cute/dressy diaper bags I love are: Chris Carter LA, Bumble Bags, Kate Spade, Chester's Backpack, and the Loom Bandicoot.

Here's my 2 cents...since you're not due until Sept, I'd wait and see some of the Whimsical Wears reviews. That will give you a better visual of the bags, and some other people's comments to help your decision. If you decide not to order during this co-op, there is always another one around the corner!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

mattysmom
04-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Just to follow-up on mariana's post (who is my diaper bag expert!), I LOVE the red skip-hop (got it thanks to her!) and now plan to order a WW bag as my "nice" bag. I used a LE messenger and a Gap tote for the whole first year (both plain black microfiber) and now I'm ready to branch out and get some fun bags. Some people pre-ordered the WW bag so that we could all get an objective review of them and they will receive them before the end of the co-op. And, Kim did say that assuming all goes well with this co-op, that she will consider offering another one in the late summer (so we can get fall bags!)

I think the three bags you've mentioned would make a good combo - you might find yourself using the KS bag a lot at the beginning since I found myself bringing TONS of stuff whenever I went anywhere. Or maybe you'll get one more cheap bag for those first months (I got a good Gap diaper tote for $20 on sale) since things can get a little messy. But, the WW looks like a great "nice" bag - I can't wait to hear the reviews from the BB members!

mindeva
04-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks so much for the insights...very helpful. I have mostly Kate Sapde and Francisco Biasia bags and always carry a shoulder bag, so I'll keep that in mind. I have been trying so hard not to buy anything yet, but it is so hard to wait on all the fun stuff. I just can't pass up these adorable bags, seems like such a great deal. Great suggestion to wait & see the reviews. I think I'll wait & then decide on one just for fun. I wasn't aware there may be another co-op later this year, but probably will get in on this one just in case the other doesn't happen.
THANKS for the help!