PDA

View Full Version : Ugh! The search continues.....

JustMare
04-06-2004, 07:52 PM
I've had my Skip Hop for about a week now and today I put it to the test. Normally, I just keep it attached to my stroller and only detach it to get into the car and re-attach it to a shopping cart - which I love doing! But today I went to Reel Moms at the Movies and had to attach the long strap and actually use it as a diaper bag. I had to valet my stroller and carry DS's carseat, bottle cooler and Skip Hop down two escaladors. I felt overwhelmed.

I was a little disappointed with the bag. I had trouble accessing the middle section and was getting really annoyed that the bag didn't stand up. Normally this doesn't bother me, but I was holding DS and needed items in my bag and the bag just didn't function for the occassion.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great bag, just not perfect. If it was just an inch or two wider I would love it.

I think it's great while out shopping or strolling the neighborhood, but for all day outings, I need something else. Ugh! DH is going to KILL me!!

Can any of you bag-aholics help me find the bag of my dreams?

I'm searching for a bag that has an open top that's easy to access, loads of pockets, some exterior pockets, can accommodate a two-bottle cooler, is lightweight, and can hang on a Zippy without tipping it over.

I'm considering a Kate Spade medium tote bag. Does anyone have one? Or the Lands End Diaper Totes, but the zipper top and short handles worry me. Honestly, it's not price or fashion, I just want a bag that works for me. The ISM bags look too deep. Ugh! Someone help me I'm so sick of this. I'm the kind of person who buys one expensive bag and uses it until it deteriorates, I'm not a bag shopper. I'm not enjoying this!

Chelsey333
04-06-2004, 08:36 PM
I have a Kate Spade medium bag, not sure if it is considered a tote. It has a zipper. I have loved the bag, but it does not have many pockets inside and I really want that for when baby #2 comes. After 2 years of using it, it has started to collapse on the sides. Still a nice looking bag, but it looks fatter, even when it is empty. It is also a heavy bag, even when empty. They are short straps (I am 5' 8") and I love the length of them, the straps never fall off my shoulder. Now I have bought the Loom Marsupial bag, and that is light weight and has a ton of interior pockets. I really like this bag. I also have an I'm Still Me bag on the way, hoping I will like that too. I didn't realize the Skip Hop doesn't stand up on its own, that would be a big negative for me. Until you said that, I thought that would be the next bag I would want. Good luck on your search.

youngnan
04-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Check out my review of the Ameribag Abag tote, which I love:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=5146&mode=full&page=

This has been the perfect diaper bag for us, and I'm thrilled it was less than $40!

Here is a picture of the bag:
http://www.ameribag.com/products/abagcollectionindex.html

Nan

RiaHannam
04-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Mare,

That is why I returned mine before I even used it! While I loved the idea of the SkipHop I didn't like how narrow it was and how hard it was to access everything in the middle. And yes that it did not stand on it's own bothered me too. I really had wanted to fall in love with this bag but I did not at all.

I loved the idea of the Ameribag Tote which is due to me by Friday - I ordered it in the Ocean color and I'm hoping this is THE BAG. Nan's review was very compelling so that's why I ordered it. Plus I like the look of it.

In the meantime I've been very happy with my black similac bag - great price (FREE) and better than anything else I've tried within the last 10.5 mos!

I'll post a review of the Ameribag tote with pics and all after I get some initial use out of it.

Mikesa3
04-07-2004, 02:09 PM
I love the look of the Ameribag tote.I'll be looking for your review.I just wish it came in a mini size because I love the design but I just rarely need that big of bag.Only one in diapers and we don't leave home long enough to need a ton of stuff.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

supercalifragilous
04-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Have you seen this bag? It was on eBay by say*cheese (I think it's Cherry Pie bags), please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want more pictures, she may have some additional ones posted on eBay.

Here's the link to say*cheese items:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15558&item=2389551957

On eBay, 2sistersdesigns also has umbrella stroller totes that look a little smaller:
http://stores.ebay.com/2-Sisters-Designs_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Here's the pic for the say*cheese stroller bag:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4089.jpg

JustMare
04-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, I don't HATE the Skip Hop. I just need to adapt to using more than one diaper bag. I'm new to this :)

Today I used it while at BJs and Target and loved it. I really love the strap and parent pocket.

I think if you know it won't be your "main" one and only diaper bag, it's perfect. You just need something for longer outtings.

For a city dweller, it's perfect since we're always with our strollers. I keep it attached to mine all the time.

I'm still searching for a nice, larger bag. I'm leaning towards the Kate Spade Clayton Stripe Canvas Baby Bag. Love the open top.

We shall see....