PDA

View Full Version : Review- Ameribag Tote... a good mid-size bag for a Mama of 2 (m)

MamaKath
04-08-2004, 01:07 AM
This is a messenger style tote bag by Ameribag www.ameribag.com, creators of the Healthy Back bags. I own 2 other Ameribags, the Baby Bag (a large size backpack according to their standards of sizing) and a black nylon purse (a small size backpack) purchased through Avon. I love my Ameribags, though they are a bit too sporty for my taste. I am more a Vera Bradley girl, but the organization and the fact that these do feel lighter when carried has me using the Ameribags more than any others that I own (which is a lot!!). Although I missed the sale recently I decided to purchase the tote through Ebags. I called, dealt with someone on the phone who did her best answering my questions, was polite and congenial. I received the bag today, about 4 days total.

My first impressions on the bag were not as great as I had hoped they would be. The red color was not as vibrant as I had hoped it would be. The color is a nice deep red though, and one which should not dirty easily. It is a good color next to a couple other backpacks I have, they all seem to be a deeper, darker red. It also is not as big as I anticipated. That always seems funny to me since it gives measurements, it is still hard for me to picture, lol. It actually is not too much bigger than the Little Tripper (I was mainly considering the new one, however dh thought it to be a bit purse-like for him to carry) given its shape. The measurements are close to the Classic Do-it-all, however this is not a perfect rectangle. This bag is more messenger style and is larger at the bottom than on top.

As for features, this bag is very nice! The liner is gray in color. It has numerous interior pockets, though I am not sure I like the use of so much Velcro to close many of them. It also has exterior pockets that are very handy; 2 on the end, one large one in the back, and one in the front. It has a nice removable shoulder strap with a wonderful pad to cushion your shoulder. It also has a padded carry handle which is very handy to grab it out of the car, etc. The top opening is a large U shape. I have had numerous bags like this before, it allows you to see everything inside which is great! Others I have tried, the zipper has never been placed properly so it either opens to low and everything falls out, or not enough and you can’t reach what you need to. The zipper has 2 pulls, allowing you to open partway or fully. The quality of materials is also excellent.

Packing it up tonight, was a challenge. I am a critical overpacker, and this was no different. I actually need to go pull a bunch of things out that are security blanket items for me, lol. I had 4 size 5 pampers, 1 travel container of wipes, 1 large onesie, 1 lightwieght cotton pj size 36months, 2 sippy cups, 3 board books (not very tiny ones either), 1 small doll, 2 packs of sunflower seeds, 1 cell phone, 1 wallet, 1 kit (from a Land’s end bag, like a double sided cosmetic case and it is stuffed full), keys, checkbook, small magazine, 3 8 oz water bottles, 1 other small toy, 1 thin changing pad from another bag. Too much stuff for one t-ball game, lol! I am actually going out tomorrow, and will take much of this out (planning to take my wallet, 2 sippies/water, 1 board book, a couple matchbox cars, cell phone, sunflower seeds, 3 diapers, wipes, small cosmetic bag). I am planning to pack a separate bag with some food, and see how I like it with less. All in all this looks promising to me.

I promise to take some pictures soon, but in the meantime here are the links for others, as well as comparison dimensions and links to the others I would think most others might be considering as well. Will ETA with further thoughts and pics when able to. HTH some of you considering this or other bags.
http://www.ameribag.com/products/images/rdtote.gif
http://www.ameribag.com/products/images/webtote.jpg

Measurements-
Ameribag Tote- 16 wide * 10 ¾ tall * 6 deep http://www.ameribag.com/products/tote.html#
Comparisons:
Ameribag Baby Bag- 21" x 12" x 8 1/2" http://www.ameribag.com/products/baby.html
Ameribag purse sold by Avon- 17 * 9 * 5 ½
LandsEnd New Do-it-all 15"Wx11 1/2"Hx10 1/4"D
Lands End Older Do-it-all 14 ½ wide * 10 tall * 8 deep
LandsEnd Newer Little Tripper
LandsEnd Older Little Tripper 11”w * 10” tall * 4 ½ deep

RiaHannam
04-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Well Kath that is a great review! I don't expect to get mine till Friday and I can't wait!!

So it's not as big as you expected? I'm thinking I too will think it's too small. So we shall see! I got mine in the Ocean color - I do hope I like it.

Thanks again and I'll post my review as soon as I can review it, lol!

houseof3boys
04-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Kath, as always thanks for the review. You do such a thorough job! I was contemplating this bag in the red as well or the new LE Little Tripper. I just can't decide. I will take a closer look at both bags and just take the plunge I guess. I really want to wear the bag messenger style since that is more my comfort level but I hear mixed reviews with both bags being worn this way. What's your take? I am 5'5" if that influences your opinion.

Thanks again for taking the time. :)

Jsher
04-08-2004, 02:15 PM
I got my Ocean one today. The color is a disappointment, but I love the bag. The back outside pocket is perfect for the all in one diaper pad with attached zipper pockets for wipes and diapers. This changing kit is a little too big for my HBB bag.

The front inner pocket is a tad too short to put my clutch wallet in and velcro. The wallet fits well standing on end in the side inner pocket opposite the bottle holder. Putting the wallet there also stiffens the bag, making it stand up better.

It wears like a dream. I favor my Ameribag bags more than any other. It is more comfortable to wear than my skip hop.

I would like to see :
Better fashion colors, or at least primary colors.
Another bottle pocket
Maybe a center divider to better contain some items.
A key fob( maybe I missed this)

I have only played with it for a few minutes, but I agree with the original poster and Mamakath, it is a great bag!

I prefer over the little tripper, and the skip hop, which is consigned to a great stroller bag only.

Jodi

MamaKath
04-10-2004, 02:42 AM
It is very comfortable. I love that I can access stuff without flipping up a front flap. Also since it is zippered, the stuff my kids would normally have dumped all over stays inside. The velcro also helps with this too. I also found it clips perfectly to my Pliko when I am out, so that is a plus as well. It is a really good bag for me. I am certain the Little Tripper was going to be a tad too small for me. This gives me enough room for my basics, while still leaving room for any last minute extras without switching bags. I will try to get some pics of the bag, bag on stroller, and myabe some on me, lol. ;-)

MamaKath
04-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Lol, I agree on the color thing a bit. I am not someone who likes black, but they need more exciting colors than what they have now. I do like the 2 interior bottle pockets as well as the exterior one. I also found that the front outside pocket is perfect for 2 sippies when the velcro is attached. Everything else so far I am enjoying. I think I am going to end up ordering a blue one at some point, it actually sounds pretty. Do you think it will dirty easily?

Too bad about the SkipHop. I was afraid of it not working as a messenger bag for me, so I held off. If I needed a stroller only bag, I just use my JLChildress Stroller tote, though it doesn't come in such cute colors as the Skip Hop. http://www.jlchildress.com/sys-tmpl/nss-folder/carseatandstrolleraccessories/sttote2.5.jpg

I am interested to hear what you think as you have a chance to try the Ameribag out.

MamaKath
04-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Let me know if you think the ocean will get dirty really easily. I am kind of regretting not getting it. :-(