PDA

View Full Version : favorite bag for newborn? I'm Still Me in stores?

hubie
04-12-2004, 12:49 PM
I am due with first in early July. Live in Chicago. Any recs for the best baby bags-so many to pick from! I am not a big backpack person now but maybe I will see that I need to be. I will not be working either-just being mom.
Ths I'm Still Me XL looked like an interesting design. Any opinions on the regular bag vs the backpack/tote? Is it carried only online?
I also liked the Nicole Miller bag.

Is it true that you need a big bag(like vera bradley) and a smaller for the day trips? It just seems that there is a lot to take with you at any time and some of these bags just dont seem that big.

Thanks for the input

robmab719
04-12-2004, 01:24 PM
The ISM XL backpack may be a good choice for you. Yes, you do have to carry a lot around with a newborn and backpacks allow you to carry a lot and still be "hands-free." I also like the backpacks because the flap keeps things from falling out (really important when you're also using the diaper bag as your purse and don't want your wallet falling out somewhere in the middle of the mall). One drawback to the ISM bags...they get disorganized very easily. The pockets don't seem to help much.

Also, ISM bags are only online. You won't find them in any stores.

I don't really follow the big bag/small bag rule. Instead I have different bags for different needs. If I'm going to be out with the stroller or in the grocery store, I have a Skip Hop that attaches to the stroller or shopping cart. If I'm wearing DD in the pouch, I go with a backpack. If DH is with us, we use the LE Backpack and DH carries it.

I'm still searching for my perfect diaper bag, but I'm pretty sure it will either be a backpack or a messenger style. I'm finding that fighting with shoulder straps is just not practical at this stage, and I need to be hands-free when DD insists on being carried or held.

My advice is to not spend a ton on diaper bags until you find out what works for you and what doesn't. I bought a large ISM tote before DD was born and it got sold pretty quickly because it was too small and too hard to organize.

m448
04-12-2004, 01:26 PM
My advice? Go with a cheepie/freebie bag for the first oh, 4 months of life. Then pick up something you like based on your usage.

I barely went out during Ian's first 4 months because he was born in then winter at the beginning of flu season and I was a first time mom getting the hang of BF and growth spurts (how's that for a runon sentence?). Now I'm going on my 4th diaper bag (a gap nylon utility tote that is really cute and looks like a purse). The purse is lined in pink so I can see everything inside and it's got a ton of pockets inside and out.

I didn't even use my original/registered for diaper bag because it was built for a toddler (lots of food/snack pockets, low on storage). Now I realize all I need are my diapers, wipes, a changing pad/blanket, a burp cloth and an extra outfit. I toss in my wallet, teething tablets, grab my keys and I'm good to go. I currently use an Amy Coe diaper bag that looks like a large purse but I'm having trouble fitting his size 4 diapers in anyway but lengthwise.

Marielle
Ian 10/30/03

cchavez
04-12-2004, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to tell you that the search for the perfect bag is endless. I got the Nicole Miller bag before DS was born bc it is such a nice looking bag. It turned out to be too bulky for me while carrying a newborn. Now that DS is almmost one I seem to like it a more. I took out the changing pad so it is not as bulky and since DS is usually always in a stroller or shopping cart while we are out it doesn't seem that bulky. I tried at Kate Spade zipper top nylon diaper bag (medium size) the other day and it seemed just as bulky to me. The Nicole Miller does have tons of pockets so you can be super organized if you want to be. But I have only used my NM maybe a dozen times (part of me wantes to sell it...let me know if you are interested :)) but if I sell it I know I will want to replace it w/ another pricier bag. So far my favorite bag has been my Ella bag!

Momof3Labs
04-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? We bf'd, and I had a small diaper bag (Lands End Little Tripper sized) that I used for the first 6 months or so (the free hospital bags used to be uuuuuu-gly). If I had to take a bottle or chilled breastmilk, I just put them in the cooler from the free hospital bag and carried it separately.

For longer trips, just tuck extra dipes, wipes and outfit changes in the car and restock as necessary!

lmariana
04-12-2004, 09:25 PM
I actually didn't even need a real diaper bag until around 3 months, when we started staying out for longer periods of time. We are formula feeding, and in the beginning you're feeding every 2-3 hours, so you have to carry a LOT of stuff! We used a Baby Sherpa backpack that either stayed in the car or hubby carried when we went out. It could hold about 6-8 formula feedings or EBM in the insulated cooler section with some ice packs. Then we'd carry extra shirts for us, 5 burp cloths, outfits for baby, diapers, wipes, blanket, etc. in the main compartment. There was a LOT of spitting up in the beignning! :)

I started my real diaper bag search when Gabriel was about 6 months. I bought a Skip Hop, a Loom Marsupial, and a used Ella tote off the swap. I loved them all and still use them! I've also added: Fleurville Mothership, Fleurville Alpha 7, another Skip Hop, another Loom, and a Chester diaper tote. (I have always had a terrible purse addiction, which naturally carried over into diaper bags.) I really don't believe in "one perfect diaper bag", because each outting has very different needs, and I like having options.

Having the collection I do now...I would have chosen the Skip Hop and the Mothership for the newborn stage. The Skip Hop for going into stores or using the stroller, and the Mothership for everything else and keeping fully stocked in the car. The Sherpa would still be ideal for carrying lots of insulated formula/EBM, but the freebie cooler inserts you get at the hospital would work just as well.

I would just start looking around online, and see what's out there. In the meantime, join the baby bags swap group, you might find a good deal on there! If you have an idea of something you'd like, check the swap and Ebay first, then the online baby stores. If you order from a store online, check their return policy, just in case you change your mind. Worst case, you can always sell a dud bag on the swap site! Let me know if you want any details on any of the bags I mentioned above. I'd love to offer any help I can!

Best Wishes!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

C99
04-12-2004, 09:27 PM
IME, you take a lot in the beginning and then pare down as you see what you end up using most of the time and what is just stuff to lug around.

I'm in Chicago and have an I'm Still Me XL tote w/ the backpack conversion, if you want to meet to check it out in person. Just e-mail me at babybargains @ caronet.net

hubie
04-13-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks Mariana-
What size/type of skip hop ? Is Fleurville the brand?

lmariana
04-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Right now, Skip Hop only makes one style, the Duo. It comes in lots of fun colors. It's a little on the small size to carry everything you'll need with a newborn, but it does great in stores and with a stroller because it snaps on to it! You can also wear it messenger style or on your shoulder. It's not the cutest bag, by any means, but it's very functional and husband friendly. www.skiphop.com

Fleurville has two full size diaper bags, the Mothership and the Alpha 7. The Mothership is huge and has a vinyl coating to protect the surface, making it practically waterproof. It has a non-adjustable strap which can be worn on your shoulder or messenger style (although some people find the strap too short for messenger use). The Alpha 7 is a little smaller, but still big. It has an adjustable strap which can also be converted for use as a backpack or worn as a messenger bag or on your shoulder. Unlike the mothership, it does not have a vinyl coating, just the fabric and a nylon interior. www.fleurville.com

Let me know if you want pictures of anything!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

hubie
04-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks-I found a local store to check them out.

khakismom
04-13-2004, 11:24 PM
With you being in Chicago, you should check out 1154 Lill, where you can design your own purse or diaper bag.

http://www.1154lill.com

There are a few ladies on the boards that have them. I saw Mary's (mharling) Lill IRL and it was so cute. Lots of different sizes and fabrics to choose from. You can design your own online, or check out the store. They're located in Lincoln Park off N. Halsted. Have fun!!