PDA

View Full Version : Can someone compare the Fleurville Mothership and Petunia Pickle Bottom Backpack?

robmab719
04-12-2004, 03:23 PM
My Fleurville Mothership just arrived and, while I love the size of it and the organization on the inside, the pink vinyl just isn't my style. Plus, the shoulder strap is already falling off my skinny shoulder and I don't even have the bag stuffed yet. So it will be going back on Ebay. :(

I keep coming back to the Petunia Pickle Bottom backpacks. I just love that fabric (even though I'm worried I will destroy it) and I think the size is comparable to the Mothership (which seems just about right for me).

Here are my questions:

How are the pockets inside? Is it easy to keep organized?

When you convert it from a backpack to a shoulder bag, is the strap long enough to be worn messenger style?

How is the fabric holding up? Can you spot clean it?

Do you like the changing pad being attached or is it just a pain?

Thanks so much for any help/advice you can give me!

jk3
04-12-2004, 04:29 PM
I have both bags and I love them both for different reasons. I can wear the Mothership messsenger styles or I can hang it on my stroller so the strap doesn't really bother me. I love the organization + the fact that the bag is super durable.

I also love my PP, by far the more attractive looking bag! If you are organized, it's easy to keep it organized because the front pockets can hold diaper related goods while everything else can be stored in the main compartment. I like having the attached pad but some people don't. There are 2 elastic pockets on the inside and one velcro pocket along w/a large main compartment. The fabric is holding up better than I expected. I didn't scotch guard the bag but wish I had. It's a light color but it hasn't gotten too dirty yet. There are only a few minor snags. I've been using this bag for about 4 months as my everyday bag so in all, it's held up considerably well. My DH also carries it from time to time + he isn't careful at all-puts it on the ground, rubs it against the dirty car, etc. The straps are separate for the backpack + the shoulder so you do not have to convert from one to the other though you can take off one set if you want. All are adjustable + the bag works messenger style for me + DH. It's a fantastic bag + you'll get lots of compliments!

Imperia
04-13-2004, 02:35 AM
>My Fleurville Mothership just arrived and, while I love the
>size of it and the organization on the inside, the pink vinyl
>just isn't my style. Plus, the shoulder strap is already
>falling off my skinny shoulder and I don't even have the bag
>stuffed yet. So it will be going back on Ebay. :(
>
>I keep coming back to the Petunia Pickle Bottom backpacks. I
>just love that fabric (even though I'm worried I will destroy
>it) and I think the size is comparable to the Mothership
>(which seems just about right for me).
>
>Here are my questions:
>
>How are the pockets inside? Is it easy to keep organized?
>
In the big zipper main compartment it has a velcro compartment at the top. I put my cellphone in there (you could put a wallet in there as well. Then it has a metal clip for keys. It has two "bottle pockets" inside on either end. These could also be used for small toys etc. Then the rest of the compartment is open, and it's nice and large for clothes etc. It does come with a dirties bag. but it's not waterproof so I put other things in it. You can always buy a separate dirty pouch or carry a ziplock!

Then in the front pockets, under the changepad there are two big elastic topped pockets. I keep diapers, wipes and creams etc up there.

>When you convert it from a backpack to a shoulder bag, is the
>strap long enough to be worn messenger style?
>
It actually comes with two sets of straps. A messanger strap (decent length)and a set of back pack straps. You can leave both on or take off which ever you are not using. They unclip (metal clips and rings).

>How is the fabric holding up? Can you spot clean it?
>
I have never had troubel with the fabric and it's my only Diaper bag. I think it's tougher than you would expect. I have never even had to spot clean it. I was considering spraying it with a scotchguard type product, but haven't yet.

>Do you like the changing pad being attached or is it just a
>pain?
>
I don't really care because I don't use the changing pad. That had nothing to do with mmy descion to buy it. I figured if I hated it that much I could buy a separate one for $10 or so and carry it inside the bag (there is so much room in there that wouldn't be an issue. I actually usually just use my sling with a lap pad under her tushy to protect the sling fabric.
>
>Thanks so much for any help/advice you can give me!
>
If you are worried about the fabric maybe get a darker one (the green is lovely). I have Shrimp Roll though and it's not at all dirty (although I have only been using it 3 months, but I go out a lot and DD always comes with me.)

Imperia

Imperia
04-13-2004, 02:37 AM
Ditto, the compliments, people ALWAYS ask me about it. I just posted a thread a few days ago taht some girl actually ficked my hair out of teh way (without asking!) to see the name on it, lol.

Imperia

robmab719
04-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks ladies. I think I'm sold!

I really want the Wasabi fabric that's not out until May. (Fortunately that's only a couple more weeks!) Now if I can just hold off on buying any other diaper bags between now and then. Must resist, must resist! lol

emmiem
04-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to mention one flaw that I found with the material. I have had the toddler tote for one year. After wearing on my shoulder for that time, my fabric straps get scrunched up. I iron it occasionally but it still happens. It is the part that gets close to my underarm to keep it on my shoulder.
Michele