PDA

View Full Version : Favorite backpack recomendation?

Chelsey333
04-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Ok, these boards have made me a diaper bag junkie. I know have 2 new ones, and have barely used them, but love them. I am waiting for baby # 2 to come before I use them (3 more weeks, yeah!). So with baby # 2 coming I am starting to get anxious about how I am going to go places with my runaway 2 yr old and an infant and carry a diaper bag. I was thinking about going to the doctor's office, etc. Thinking I would probably put baby in Baby Bjorn so my hands are free to chase after my 2 yr old. Then I started thinking that I should have bought an organized backpack diaper bag for those days. Any suggestions? I am really into the multiple pockets inside and would like some pockets on the outside too for sippy cup, etc. I might get a backpack thru WW coop today, but choosing fabrics seems overwhelming. Everytime I search for a fabric, I can't find anything I love.

mastry
04-21-2004, 02:40 PM
I've heard great things about the deluxe diaper backpack that Land's End makes. I don't have it myself (my baby is due May 1), but others have told me they really like it.

It's only $39.50 on the Land's End website www.landsend.com.

quikeye
04-21-2004, 04:50 PM
I have the "parents survival pack 2.0" from eagle creek and really like it, lots of pockets/etc. But its as big as a regular backpack-- good for carrying LOTS of stuff, bad if you dont want a "big" bag. (So I'm getting a smaller tote from the ww co-op for days I don't need "everything").

On the back outside of the bag where the backpack straps are, it has a large "slip" pocket for the included nylon changing pad that I love to have on hand (you could use the pocket for something else, as well). Inside the main zippered compartment it has another large "slip" pocket that fits the changing pad as well (I put extra diapers in it instead). One thing about the main compartment is that it feels a little narrow-- I pack a lot in there-- extra changes of clothes/receiving blankets/baby blankets/whatever else, but it can be a pain to dig in the bottom since it's so deep (I just shouldn't overpack :)) Also, the front of the backpack has an "open" pocket where I pack most of the diapers & wipes (easy access, closes w/ velcro)-- when that's full, it kind of bulges into the main zippered compartment, making it "smaller" (when it's just squished). Finally theres a large zippered front pocket, which has sooo many pockets inside-- 4 different sizes of nylon slip pockets, a small "mesh" zipper pocket - great for $/etc., and a large "mesh" pocket on the inside of the zippered flap that I keep stocked w/ antibac wipes and purell. There's also a keyfob (or paci holder-- it is just a clip on a small nylon strap) inside the zippered front pocket.

On the outside/on the side of the bag are pockets as well-- sized for water, bottles, etc. One is smaller and mesh with elastic, I use this for a bottle w/in easy reach (either my water or baby's playtex). The elastic makes me feel comfortable the bottle stays in place. There's also a deeper nylon pocket behind the mesh one-- I put a small umbrella in there (3/4 of the way it fits), since we often have a little unexpected drizzle and I hate to be out without some cover for me & ds. The other side has a large zippered pocket that's pretty deep; you could maybe fit a SMALL bottle cooler on this side? I use it for ziplocs and pacis and whatever else. Going over the bag I realize I don't pack as efficiently as I should :)

I also really like that the backpack straps are easy to adjust-- I sling ds a lot and often will tighten or loosen the straps with just a tug; my school backpacks were never this easy. :) Also, you are able to carry it as a "tote"-- the back changing pad pocket and the front velcro pocket have tote straps sewn in them, when you pull them out, voila! a tote. (But I don't carry it like this often, though it can be convenient if you can't get both hands free to put on the backpack!)

It looks like a "regular", quality backpack as well, and i like that (I'm not into baby prints or whatever for my stuff, and I consider my backpack "mine" and not ds' :)) I will be able to use it after not as a diaper bag (we used it before ds was born to pack for a weekend trip). I got mine in red, because it's fun :)

Good luck!