PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen the new Jack and Janie bags?

rrosen
04-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Anyone seen these IRL yet? Looks cute.
Love to hear how it looks up close.

http://tinyurl.com/29qb9

Rebecca

kathsmom
04-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Rebecca,

That looks so cute! A Jack and Janie store is opening near me this Friday! I think I will have to go check it out! Thanks for sharing this with us.

khakismom
04-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Toni, please post a review when you see it. As you know, I need this like I need a hole in my head, but it looks fabulous. The size looks perfect, I love the long strap, and I love that the inside is coated.

Thyanks sweetie!! :)

kathsmom
04-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Maureen,

I am already packing my tape measure in my purse so I can get accurate measurements!LOL! I love the look of the bag and the coated inside is definitely a plus! I found a diaper bag that I really like at a local maternity store called Pickles and Ice Cream. It is the Timi and Leslie large bebe bag, and DH said that I could get it for Mother's Day - until he heard that it was $150. That got nipped in the bud very quickly! So, I am still just using the 2 diaper bags I have left (the Activpak and the handmade one that I use only for church).

If I am able to go, I will definitely post a review!

etwahl
04-22-2004, 07:58 AM
i'll also be at a janie and jack this weekend, so will try to get a look at one! and i'll also try to find one of those nordstrom bags to see what i think of those!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

kathsmom
04-22-2004, 08:40 AM
Oh, Tammy, thanks for reminding me about the Nordstrom diaper bag! I had completely forgotten about those! I have to see how I can work this out, because Jack and Janie is in one direction and Nordstrom is in another direction!

Let us know what you think if you're able to see them IRL!

etwahl
04-22-2004, 08:53 AM
luckily the mall i'll be at has both :) i'll give a full report!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

rrosen
04-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Tammy I'm guessing you are going to the Westchester?
I can't wait to hear about how the bag looks IRL.

Thanks for checking it out.
Rebecca

robmab719
04-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Toni, you must live in Dallas if you know about Pickles and Ice Cream. I practically lived at that store throughout my pregnancy! I didn't know they had Timi and Leslie bags, though. I may have to stop by there this weekend on my way to Nordstrom. ;)

etwahl
04-22-2004, 12:03 PM
no, it's a mall in charlotte, north carolina. i'll be there fora few days.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

kathsmom
04-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Robyn,

I am actually in Georgia! I thought that Pickles and Ice Cream was local, because I had never seen it before. It opened a couple of years ago. The lady in the store (I guess she was the manager) was so nice and helpful. We talked for a long time about diaper bags, etc. I asked her how many children she had and she said she wasn't married and didn't have children, but that when she did, she would be ready!LOL!

They had 1 Timi and Leslie bag in stock and she said they could order any other fabric I was interested in. They also had the Oi Oi messenger bag in pink stripes, as well as the Oi Oi backpack (you can see them at www.diaperbags.com ). To my amazement, they had 2 Reese Li bags in stock as well. They were very nice and well made. There was another line of handmade bags that were on display, but they were custom order items.

robmab719
04-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Wow, and I thought we had the only Pickles & Ice Cream! Small world.

How did the Oi Oi messenger look? Did it have good pockets and a long enough strap? I am so torn between that, a Petunia Pickle Bottom and a Kate Spade tote. Of course, I'd love to have all three, but with my recent spending sprees at Gymboree, I can't afford them anymore. :)

sweetbasil
04-22-2004, 03:41 PM
There's at least one Pickles and Ice Cream that I know of in the Housotn area- and it's a nicer suberb shopping center, so I'd be the Galleria would have one too. I managed to stay away from there in my last pregnancy, but if we get pg one more time, it'll probably be our last baby, and I might just have to venture in there ;) They sure have cute things, having seen what my pg friends have gotten there!

humblemama
04-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Oh no! another adorable bag!!! not fair when you feel an addiction brewing! Sara

kathsmom
04-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Robyn,

I liked the colors of the Oi Oi messenger bag, but it was made of a kind of shiny canvas material that I would definitely want to scotch-guard if it is not already treated. It looked like it would hold everything I would need for Andrew (who will be 19 months old tomorrow) and a couple of things for Katherine (who will be 8 years old next month). It was a fairly large size, but not as big as the Mothership. I did not like the shoulder strap on the Oi Oi. It was not adjustable and was too short IMO - it definitely could not be worn as a messenger bag. I am 5'5" and I just didn't like how it fit under my arm. I cannot for the life of me remember how the pockets were on the inside. I know that Mariana (lmariana) had bought this bag in the blue stripes and ended up returning it. She posted pictures of it in a review she did. I will try to find it and post the link.

I saw a Petunia Pickle Bottom boxy backpack, but I don't think it will fit my needs. Have you seen one IRL? I liked the fabrics, but I didn't like how the flap velcroed and once you lift the flap, there is a zipper across the top that you have to unzip to access anything. I thought the pockets were nice, but I am not a big fan of the changing pad being attached to the bag. That being said, I know that there are a lot of mommies on this board who love their PPB backpacks. I really liked the PPB Toddler Tote, and I know that it would hold what I need for Andrew, but don't know if I could hold the extra things I need when Katherine is with us.

I haven't really had chance to check out the Kate Spade bags, because I know DH would have a heart attack if I came home with one!

I really liked the Timi and Leslie large bebe bag, because it was coated (kind of like the Mothership), but was VERY lightweight. It came with a bib and changing pad. I didn't think that it was too large to use everyday. It would definitely fit everything I needed.

I am just looking for a nice, medium size bag that I can use everyday for DS and be able to toss a couple of things in for DD when we are out. I am not a very heavy packer. I use a Baby Trend Activpak right now for everyday and it is too big. I use a smaller handmade one that I bought at a craft fair for church, but it has no stabilizer in it and it falls/flops over all the time.

Gotta run! Andrew is pitching a fit to get out of his high chair!

robmab719
04-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have only seen the PPB's being carried. I haven't actually inspected one. (Too afraid to walk up to a stranger and ask to look in her bag! lol) There's a store near my house that has them, so I'll definitely go take a look before I order one.

I think I can now rule out the Oi Oi, though. Especially if the strap is too short to be used messenger style. What's the point?!

zuzu
04-22-2004, 05:24 PM
The measurements, according to our local store, are:
13.5 inches high
15 inches wide
3.25 inches deep (but it can expand a bit)

HTH someone,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

kathsmom
04-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Robyn,

I am so bad, because when I was pregnant with Andrew, I actually chased a woman down in Walmart SuperCenter to ask her if she liked her Activpak backpack. It was a funny sight to see - I was 7 months pregnant and had tons of swelling from my high BP. She was very nice and said that she liked it, and then she volunteered to show me how she packed it and all of the pockets. I have asked just a couple of other people in stores about their bags.

I am one of those people who likes to see things in person. I am spatially challenged and have difficult time with actually picturing the actual size of a diaper bag, even with measurements.

Good luck with your diaper bag search! Take care!

kathsmom
04-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Melissa,

Thank you so much for posting the measurements! It sounds like it might be the size I need. I put in a call to the customer service department this morning and the lady was very nice. She said that she would try to give me a call back this afternoon with the measurements. They didn't have the measurements handy, but she said she would try to go to the warehouse and measure it for me.

Thanks again!

cchavez
04-22-2004, 08:39 PM
They just opened up a Pickes and Ice cream in Plano. I haven't made it out their yet. I did call and they said they were only carrying the Fluerville bags....

jk3
04-24-2004, 12:51 PM
These bags are super cute! I stopped into the store when I was at the mall + they had two-one black, one khaki color. The bags are not too big but not small either-smaller than my Mothership but a decent size. They look pretty stylish + the inside is lined with vinyl gingham which is a nice feature. The pockets are great as well-outside bottle pockets + a few pockets on the inside. I don't need another bag at this point but I would definitely consider the black bag if I did!

sbaker
04-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Robyn,
You thought the same thing I did! I thought Pickles & Ice Cream was just a local Dallas store. I'm in Fort Worth, though, haven't ever been able to make it over there. :(
Which Kate Spade tote are you thinking about, btw?

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

robmab719
04-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Pickles & Ice Cream is definitely worth the trip to Dallas if you're in need of maternity clothes. Fortunately, I'm out of that stage, so I haven't been by there in months!

I'm really thinking about getting the basic Kate Spade black microfiber medium baby bag. It's kind of boring compared to the Ella and WW bags, but I think I can use it as a briefcase/purse/diaper bag combo, which would really simplify my life! And when I don't need it for diapers anymore, I can still use it as a briefcase, so it's easy to justify the purchase to DH. :)

That would bring my collection up to 5 diaper bags. How embarrassing!

lmariana
04-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Toni,

I'm in GA too! I noticed yesterday that they are opening a Janie and Jack store at North Point Mall, and I could see the new diaper bags through the window! DH pulled me away rather quickly. I think my husband is seriously considering having me commited to the Diaper Bags Addict Ward.

:)

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

sbaker
04-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Ooooh! Mariana, is the Diaper Bags Addict Ward next to the Strolleraholic Rehab Ward? Maybe I'll see you there. LOL

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

lmariana
04-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Robyn,

I did have the Oi Oi Blue Striped Messenger but like Toni said, I returned it. I found the strap to be WAY too short and the all cotton construction made me nervous about clean-up. Here's some pictures though, incase you're interested...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4910.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4911.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/4912.jpg

Lately, I've been sporting my white corduroy Mothership and loving it. It is really big, but I kind of like having everything I need in one spot. I can even fit my laptop in there! I hang it on the stroller at the mall or stow it in the basket. The Alpha 7, also by Fleurville, is a smaller alternative without the vinyl coating. This one can be worn messegner style or as a backpack. It has about the same capacity as a Loom Marsupial, maybe a little more space.

I have tons of comparison shots of all my bags, so let me know if you want any more info!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

etwahl
04-24-2004, 07:53 PM
honestly, I didn't like it, but that's probably just me. the reason i didn't like it may be because i really like the functionality of my loom, but here's my thoughts on this bag:

- it was very flimsy (but very light, so that may be a plus) but it had absolutely no structure IMO. i didn't like that feature.

- it had two large inside pockets spanning the width of the bag - one was elasticized and one wasn't. then on the one end, it had a small elasticized pocket. i didn't think it was super functional, because the elastic was SO HEAVY, so it would be hard to get your bottle or sippy in and out of that. the same with the outside bottle pockets. the elastic just seems so heavy and tight.

that's all i remember. i was in a rush. dd was really sick this weekend, but it just wasn't for me.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Twin Mom
04-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Mariana and Toni - I am also in Georgia. I was at North Point yesterday (Sat) and the Janie and Jack store was open but I didn't have a chance to go in because my dh, ds, dd, mil and fil were all with me. I think I saw a couple of diaper bags from a distance.

When I saw the Pickles and Ice Cream post I assumed you were referring to The Forum but then I thought it could be a chain (like everything else in Atlanta) and I guess I was right!

Have either of you seen a Chester backpack anywhere local? I am considering either that or a Bandicoot when it becomes available. My twins are 18 months+ so I don't need anything super big anymore since I don't tend to be out with them for long periods of time (at least not by myself...) I currently use a Combi US and we also have a couple of other bags that we no longer use - another Combi diaper bag (borrowed) and the Ameribag Health Back Backpack (dh wanted it) but I am looking for something a bit more interesting.

Aileen

lmariana
04-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Wow, you must live near me! I'm in Alpharetta.

I haven't seen the Chester backpack, but I do have a Chester Diaper Tote, which I love. The backpack looks like a nice size (15” high, 13” wide, 6” deep ). I've really been wanting to see one as well! Ditto on the Loom Bandicoot. I think I'm leaning more towards the Loom because I really like their bags, and the colors are a little more neutral than Chester's fun patterns. But since you're looking for something a little more interesting, the Chester may fit the bill. :)

Have you considered the Alpha 7 as a backpack or a Petunia Pickle Bottom?

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

AJs Mommy
04-25-2004, 05:01 PM
I too am a recovering diaper bag junkie...Although I LOVE Janie & Jack (in The Westchester Mall), if you like the vinyl covered fabric for its practicability in a diaper bag, you will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a Fleurville Diaper Bag - http://www.fleurville.com/
I liked my Kate Spade diaper bag & my Maclaren backpack diaper bag until I came accross my Fleurville...I will never go back to another diaper bag. It holds everything in great compartments, is very pretty (tons of fabric choices), has a key chaim hook on the inside and is comfortable to tote around even fully stocked. They are carried at many baby specialty stores, on the web and at Hanna Andersson too.

kathsmom
04-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Yep, I was at the Pickles and Ice Cream at the Forum! I just love that place. I keep telling DH that we need to move up that way, but it is just so expensive! Also, DH hates how crowded it is up there. I wanted to go to the opening of Janie and Jack to see that diaper bag, but I had to make a return to the Baby's Room on 141 near the Forum.

I haven't seen a Chester backpack in person locally, but they do have the Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bags at Baby Cakes on Medlock Bridge Road. They only had the backpacks and not the toddler totes. They also carried some Timi & Leslie and Fleurville Mothership bags.

My DS is 19 months old and he is probably our last, so I don't feel like I need to invest in a large bag at this point. Good luck with your bag search! I have been searching since I was pregnant and I have not found a good small/medium size bag. My DH is ready to have me committed to the insane asylum!LOL!

You can e-mail me through the boards if you like! Maybe we can all meet up one day (that is, if my children ever get well enough. We seem to be a germ factory around here and have had to cancel so many things lately!).

Take care!

lmariana
04-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Oooh, I'll have to check out Baby Cakes! I've passed by it a few times.

You know, if you keeping on going up 141 into Forsyth County, the real estate gets a lot less pricey. We're in Alpharetta, but Cherokee County, and it's really affordable out here too, without sacrificing a great location! We're still only 15 minutes from 400, off Windward Pkwy. :)

Are you guys members of the GA BBB Group on Yahoo?

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

kathsmom
04-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Mariana,

Yes! I am a member of the GA BBB group! Hopefully, we can all plan something this spring/summer. I haven't been able to meet up with anyone, because Andrew has been such a sickie this year. Katherine will pick up something at school and bring it home to him. Then it makes the rounds 1 or 2 times, before they get better.

I think living in Cherokee would be too far away from DH's work. :(

Definitely check out Baby Cakes! They were so nice to me when I went in!

khakismom
04-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Tammy, thanks for the review. I appreciate it!

Twin Mom
05-08-2004, 12:14 AM
Well I finally had a chance to go to the Janie and Jack store yesterday and checked out the diaper bags. They had black nylon and beige canvas. They were cute but kind of plain so I don't think they are worth $98 (IMHO). The beige was very light and since it was canvas I would be afraid it would get dirty. Both bags had a gingham plastic lining and changing pad which was nice. I think it was more of a medium size bag, but to me it didn't look like anything special.

Toni and Mariana - What is the link for the BBB GA Yahoo group? I dind't know there was one. Sorry I didn't respond but I was traveling for business most of last week and I work M-W. I live very close to Babycakes but haven't been in there lately. I do think they have very cute stuff there.

Mariana, you really need to get the Bambino Dobre Goods bag you mentioned in another post so you can tell me if it is worth getting. It looks very cute. Hope I'm remembering the name right. I'm jealous, since I saw your post about the E3 on the stroller board. I really want one with the doubles kit, but since my kids are over 20 lbs already and the max on the 2nd seat is 30 lbs, it didn't seem like I would be able to use it for long :-(

Aileen

kathsmom
05-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Aileen,

I am e-mailing you with the link! Glad to see another Georgian here!

lmariana
05-08-2004, 08:47 AM
I think I will get that Bambino Bag Aileen. It's really "fun", you know?

Thanks for the info on the Janie and Jack bag. I saw it through the window and didn't think too much of it. I'm so weary of canvas bags. I just think back to my school days and my old backpacks that looked so worn, so quickly.

I need to hop in to Baby Cakes one day, it looks like such a cute little place. :)

Hope to see you on the GA boards soon!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com