PDA

View Full Version : Need a good purse/diaper bag

larson
04-26-2004, 12:05 PM
I am at the point where I am thinking about just going to one bag--for my stuff and the baby's stuff. I currently have a backpack (big diaper bag) and the Land's End Little Tripper.

I am thinking about a bag I saw in Title 9 Sports (but of course I can't find it right now).

I do cd, so I would need a bag big enough for a couple of pf. I have some personal gear, but not tons--basically my shades, wallet and PDA. There is just some stuff I like to have all the time--chapstick, kleenex, pens etc. and I get tired of buying multiples or switching them. When we use the backpack, dh feels the need to put HIS stuff in it--wallet, cell phone, pda, sunglasses. And he moves the stuff in the diaper bag pocket to accomadate HIS desire for his stuff to be more accessible. Now, it's not as if he's moving anything we use all the time (wipes or the pad) but, it's still a PITA nonetheless.

If anyone has any good recommendations that are not too spendy (50 bucks is about my limit, would love to find something as cheap as 20) but good quality, I'd appreciate it.

Carrie
ds Dagan 10.6.03

kelle1996
04-26-2004, 10:48 PM
What about a Jansport? There are a ton of different styles mostly backpacks, of course. Or you could watch for timbuk2 bags on ebay. I have seen them go for less than $50 and sometimes $25-30 bucks.
HTH!

sadie427
04-27-2004, 04:04 PM
After messing around with a few diaper bag/purse combos I finally got this bag by Ellington Bags and have been really happy with it. For me it's just the right size for both my stuff and Sammy's, and since it's not a diaper bag it doesn't look like one and I don't feel funny carrying it to work. It is fantastic organization wise, lots of different pockets, helps keep my stuff and his separate. I don't CD but I think this would be big enough--I sometimes carry quite a bit of personal gear (I'm a med student, so sometimes I have to carry a stethoscope, pager, PDA, a book or two as well as some diapers and other baby stuff). I have the red, I think it's a nice color, the black one would probably be a little dressier though. Unfortunately it is $60, but I think it's been worth the money. It is also washable--I spilled coffee in it and just threw it in the washer on cold and hung it up to dry.

You might look at the Land's End microfiber totes too--I have the large one which is great for travel but huge, but maybe the small one would be the right size. It's quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.ebags.com/ellington/in_flight_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=18684

getbusyliving
04-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Susan - that is such a cool bag! I've been searching for a diaper bag that can double as a purse. I've been contemplating getting the Loom Bandicoot, but it is spendy & I have no idea how big it is. The ellington bag looks very nice. Does the zipper part in the back of it bother you at all? TIA!

Misty
Mommy to Gabe, 6/20/03

kelle1996
04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Wow! That is a great bag!!

larson
04-28-2004, 10:46 AM
thanks for the link! i went to my favorite store, target, and found 2 bags--one is a messenger-style by amy coe. microfiber, black, it's cute.

i also got a tote on clearance for $14--it's got pockets all along the inside and I think it will work well. Plus it's striped and very cute! I do like this one better than the amy coe one, but I think there are times I would like the messenger-style better than a tote. I haven't checked to see if the tote will fit in my stroller basket, but we'll put it to the test later.

Again, thanks for the link--it is a very cute bag. I appreciate the suggestions! :)

Carrie

sadie427
04-28-2004, 02:23 PM
No, I just use the zipper part in the back as an additional pocket (you just keep the bottom zipper zipped, and it's just like a pocket.) And I do like the fact I could zip in over my wheeled carry-on on a trip. I really like this bag! And although it's not cheap, I think it's reasonable (I couldn't stomach the over-$100 bags) and since it's not a diaper bag I don't need to worry about it looking like one.