PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag...Land's End or Eddie Bauer?

Brenly
04-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Hello everybody,

Soon-to-be first time Mom here. I apologize if this discussion has already been posted, but I'm in search of a good diaper bag, on the masculine side, so DH will approve.

I was about to order the Updated Do-It-All by Land's End, but found out that it doesn't have a shoulder strap. The original version is okay, but I just love the updated version with it's light colored interior (easier to locate things) and the wide-mouth opening like a Dr's bag. Do you know of anything similar to it?

The Eddie Bauer diaper bag really appealed to my DH, but wanted to check with y'all on your thoughts. I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

I guess I could buy an interim bag and wait for the LE Updated DIA *with* the shoulder strap coming out in the fall.

I really value your feedback!

Thanks,

Brenly

nitaghei
04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
I would skip the current DIA. I saw it IRL, and it's not a good design. A shoulder strap is essential for a diaper bag. Besides, the DIA is HUGE!! I have a really old one - 8 years old - and I only use it for travel (and used it when DS was in NICU). It's way too much bag for daily use, even for a new born.

My advice is to NOT buy a diaper bag at all now. You will get a freebie from the hospital or your OB. Use that for a while to get a sense of what your needs are. Diaper bags are very individual, and there isn't a single diaper bag that I know of that everyone loves all the time.

If it's a bag that both you and your DH will use - check out the Timbuk2 bags. Not a diaper bag specifically, but can used as one. Do a search in the archives of this forum for pics and design ideas to customize the bag. It looks like Timbuk2 is in the process of designing a designated diaper bag - which should be interesting.

The reviews on the design of the Eddie Bauer bags are mixed; you should be able to find them in the archives. If you do go with the EB bags - don't buy the ones at Target; those are much lower quality than the ones at the EB stores (and the one that the Wall Street Journal liked).

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Mikesa3
04-28-2004, 03:38 PM
How about this bag http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/tote_messenger_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=13589
I don't have it but some Moms here have posted pictures that you can find if you do a search on Ameribag.It looks like a great bag to me.Similiar to the DIA but not as big and bulky.I've always been a light packer so for day trips I would think this would be plenty big.(but I don't cloth diaper or use bottles so those who do might need a larger bag)HTH
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

momathome
04-28-2004, 03:43 PM
I recently bought an Eddie Bauer backpack diaper bag from the Eddie Bauer website and I love it!!! It is defintely a good one for dads to use - it looks nothing like a diaper bag. The EB bags are very good quality with lots of good compartments and feautures. Mine was on sale on the website for $34.99. Good luck!
-Lauren

lmariana
04-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Mu hubby really likes the Skip Hop Diaper Bag in navy (www.skiphop.com). It has an adjustable shoulder strap to wear messenger style or just on the shoulder. It also latches on to you stroller/shopping cart really, really well.

There are tons of reviews posted on this board!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Emmas Mom
04-28-2004, 04:31 PM
I have the LE updated DIA & I really love it but I'm the type to haul everything around with me. So other than the lack of shoulder strap, I find it's perfect. Also, I contacted Lands End & the CS lady I spoke to said I could return the one I have once the Updated, updated ones come out with the shoulder strap! To quote her: they have a "customer satisfaction guarantee". :D Life is good!

Brenly
04-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Mariana!

I like this bag! I think this might do the trick. I live in the greater Boston area and it is sold by Isis Maternity near me. I recently became a member and so I should be able to get 10% off too.

My DH of course said he liked the olive color, which is nice but he always picks green anything! I liked the cotton candy and the ice shades. Thank goodness they had a nice selection of color options. We compromised and I think we're going to buy the mushroom shade.

Thanks for your rec. (thanks, everybody, actually)

Brenly

lmariana
04-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Well good! I really hope you like it!

I love that mushroom color.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

MamaKath
04-29-2004, 05:45 PM
We have it and it has some of the best features of the DIA, but is more user friendly. It opens wide at the top thanks to a u shaped zip path; has a light grey interior; lots of pockets; handle; shoulder strap with padding adjustability; outside pockets as well as interior ones. I have pictures of my husband wearing it on the Easter page on our family site though they were not taken specifically of that, it will give you a decent idea of how it hangs. http://pages.ivillage.com/mamakath/index.html (click on the picture of us by the big Easter egg to get there)

If your hospital still gives out diaper bags (many in my area are apparently in the process of stopping this practice) it may be the "perfect" bag in the beginning, and then you can get something for quick trips.

Or just use a backpack or tote in the beginning until you see how your lifestyle changes once baby arrives.

HTH~

strike71
04-29-2004, 10:49 PM
What about the Lands end Classic Diaper bag? It has a shoulder strap and is a tiny bit smaller than Do it all.

lmladuke
04-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Hey Brenly:

I live about 20 miles out of Boston and have never heard of Isis Maternity - where is it? Always looking for a new place to shop :)

Lori