PDA

View Full Version : Loom, Timbuk2, Fleurville???

Gayletmomto4
04-28-2004, 04:50 PM
I am in need (!!!) of a new diaper bag and am having a tough time deciding. My dilemna is that I like the look of a "girlie" bag and the organization of a sporty bag.

I currently have a pretty toile ISM tote which is nice except that the darn straps fall off of my shoulder all of the time. I end up walking around with one strap digging into my shoulder and one hanging loose.

I'd like something with a shoulder strap instead (not tote style)that looks good. I love the features of the Looms and the Timbuk2 but am not sure if they are my style. My ideal bag would be medium to large size, have a comfortable strap, a key holder, lots of pockets (maybe even on the outside), have a colored interior and maybe even one of those small bags that piggy backs onto the big bag.

If I have to choose between well organized and easy to use and pretty, I'll lean toward organization but am wondering if there is a best of both worlds bag? Keep in mind that I haven't seen any of these bags IRL, only read about them on this board.

Any ideas?

TIA

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
04-28-2004, 05:10 PM
I am very happy with my Loom Marsupial and it seems to have many of the features that you are looking for. It has quite a few pockets on the inside, as well as the outside. It has nice contrasting lining, things are easy to find inside. You can get the Watermelon Clutch to keep your "stuff" in ( I really like this). The strap is awesome. It almost feels like there is some kind of gel in it- even my hubby loves this. It is very comfortable and stays on me well. It has a caribener key clip for easy key access. It also is very stable with 4 metal feet, so that you don't need to worry about it tipping and everything falling out. The robin's egg blue is a more "girlie" color, and one that you might like. It is a nice looking bag!
I also just received my Mothership bag which is bigger and not as streamlined as the Marsupial. I ordered an Alpha 7, but have not received it yet, so can't give opinions on that yet.
Hope this helps,
Gretchen

lmariana
04-28-2004, 05:51 PM
I second Gretchen's vote for the Marsupial! It's a gorgeous bag. Here are the exterior/lining color combos:

black/brown
red/fuschia
moss green/fuschia
blue/light blue
avocado/light blue?
turquoise and red flower/brown?
orange and white flower/brown?

The flowered bags for a plasticy coating on it that you might not like, but the other bags have a ballistic nylon exterior which is perfect. It's not shiny, but not sporty either. I have the black with brown lining and it's absolutely awesome. I just sold a moss green one and a blue one. The moss green is beautiful with that pink lining!

I also recommend the watermelon clutch, I take mine everywhere in every bag! Someone else is selling a blue one on the Baby Bag Swap, if you're interested!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

sbjf
04-28-2004, 06:09 PM
Go for the Marsupial, or the Bandicoot if you think that would be big enough.

I have the red Marsupial and I really do get compliments on it very often.

kelle1996
04-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Did you see the new timbuk2 totes? They are more "girly" IMO. They come with matching smaller bags too, they look like make-up bags to me. There are 4 different sizes and they look really cute! I am thinking getting one.

lmariana
04-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Ooh, also..Chester Handbags (www.chesterhandbags.com) makes super cute/girly diaper bags. Mostly totes, but also some backpacks. Very fun!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Gayletmomto4
05-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to look seriously at the Loom and the T2 totes and maybe the new T2 diaper bag if it comes out soon.

Gayletmomto4
05-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Gretchen. This is really helpful. I'd love to know what you think of your Alpha 7 when you get it. Is the main difference btw. the Mothership and Alpha 7 the size? From what I can tell, the Marsupial sounds like a good med-lg size and the Mothership maybe XL-is that correct? Is the Alpha 7 about the same size as the Loom?

Also, do the Fleurvilles stay on your shoulder and how are they as far as pockets and organization?

Sorry for all the questions but I haven't seen any of these in real life and it really helps to hear from you experts!

TIA

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
05-01-2004, 04:00 PM
It is confusing isn't it! Let's see, I would classify for me the Marsupial as a nice medium size bag. I can fit everything in there that I need on a daily basis and to run around with my 2 lil ones. The Mothership is much bigger, quite large. I will use this for trips, such as the zoo, or when I need extra items for both, such as extra changes of clothes. Right now I'd have to say I really, really like the Marsupial for my everyday bag.
Here is what I like better than the Mothership for everyday. I like the 2 outside cup pockets - my DS #1 takes a sippy everywhere. On the mothership, the side pockets are more for cell phone, sunglasses, etc. I love the organization inside the Marsupial. Here is what I have in mine: In the back inside pocket (long pocket)I have the changing pad and 4 diapers (2 of each size 3 and 5). On the front inside I have one pocket that holds the Huggies babywipes container perfectly. In the other front inside pocket I have my wallet - I carry a smaller wallet without a check book and it works great. It would also be a good size for a cell phone. In the insulated bottle pocket I have 2 small snack containers and a few bagged snacks. In the inside side pocket I have some items such as cream for DS, small personal items, hand sanitizer. In the middle of the bag I keep one change of clothes for DS # 2 and 4 toys. I also put the watermelon cluth in the middle. In there I have lipsticks, aspirin, etc. Love the watermelon clutch!! I love the key clip, use it constantly and now I always know where my keys are!! The Mothership has this also. The bag closes up so easily with the magnetic closures- love this too. There is also a large pocket on the back of the bag on the outside that closes with a magnetic closure- very handy, too. This bag stays on my shoulder super easily while carting my 2 kids - very important with me. Okay, so you get the idea that I really like this bag!! It just works great for my particular needs.
I just got my Mothership, so I have only tried it in the house. It is a large to xl size bag. It seems to stay on my shoulder well, but the strap is not as comfy as the Marsupial. I do like that the Marsupial is adjustable, where the Mothership is not. I felt the need to have a good bigger, bag though and it is quite nice. It is not as sleek looking for everyday with the vinyl coating. It does have nice roomy pockets.
Okay, now the Alpha 7 will be my alternate to the Marsupial. I want to be able to switch sometimes. I believe it is a bit bigger than the Marsupial. Maybe a medium to large, but definitely smaller than the Mothership. I love that I will be able to use it as a backpack or messenger and it is adjustable. I did see one IRL and tried my sons sippy in the outside pocket and it worked- but was tight. It is a very cute bag. It also seems to have nice organization, pockets, etc. I went with the fiesta stripes, which is not vinyl coated. I will let you know what I think when it arrives, should be next week.
Also, I was considering the Bandicoot, but am going to hold off. Right now I need a bit more organization than this may offer. I will follow the reviews as they come in and maybe consider one down the road. I am very impressed with the construction of the Loom - should last a long time.
Also, Mariana has fantastic pictures of all these bags. She helped me tremendously with all her great info.!
HTH,
Gretchen