PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag Dilemma - Urgent help needed!!!!! :)

firsttimemommy
05-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Ok - I thought I had the perfect bag - the Marsupial - and let me say the I DO LOVE LOVE LOVE IT- BUT I found out today on my very first outing with a 1 week old and a 16 month old, that it is just not going to work for us right now!!!

Before Jacob came along last week, I was so proud of my perfectly little organized hip stylish diaper bag - and then today, on our first trip out it became a huge disaster within seconds as I was trying to fish out a bottle, diaper, bib etc., super fast - and everything ended up on the floor of my car and some on the pavement too!!! I quickly came to the conclusion that The Loom is PERFECT for one child, but for two (esp when one is on bottles and BOTH are in diapers) it is not enough. IT seems when I have a bag where everything is kinda of "vertically stacked" then I get frustrated and can't find anything - does that make sense?

Sooooooo, I need a QUICK recommendation (not wanting to leave the house again without total organization!!) for something larger than the loom, but still very organized - I am a "pocket" freak and love when things are super easy to access. No black hole style deep bags for me - I just have TOO MUCH STUFF for that!!! I prefer messenger or tote style, but at this point, backpack is GREAT too!

Could the Lands End back pack do it? The Timbuk El Ocho? Or the Alpha 7, or the Mothership? I don't want to look like I am toting a suitcase, and I would love some of the wonderful features of the Marsupial (pockets that hold sippys on the outside, the material it is made of) but I am flexible - as long as it is big enough and has lots of organizational pockets. Unfortunately, style is no longer one of my priorities (I can't believe I am saying that!!!!)

Any suggestions....LMariana????? By the Way, LMariana you should change your symbol to "diaperbagqueen" - I mean there is a stroller queen, so why not a diaperbag queen? You have all the qualifications!!!!!

BTW - had a combi backpack and hated it - too black-holish.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob 4/26/04

marnay
05-05-2004, 05:58 PM
My vote would be for the Mothership. It is big but does have some nice pockets inside. I have the white one and it is tan inside, no black hole. Nice wide shoulder strap, that fits over the handle bar of most strollers.

I only use mine for long outings as it is quite large but I love it!

Naydene

lstef plus2
05-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Let me just start of by saying I am no expert, but I do I my share of diaper bags.

"""I am a "pocket" freak and love when things are super easy to access. No black hole style deep bags for me - I just have TOO MUCH STUFF for that!!! I prefer messenger or tote style, but at this point, backpack is GREAT too!"""

I just received today an ameribag healthy back bag, and it has many pockets to organize. I have not used it IRL yet, but let me tell you about some of the features.

Large zippered compartment on the bottom--for you I can see this section being diaper section holding diapers and cream and possibly a changing pad.

One side has a zippered pocket in which I was able to fit two 6oz playtex insulated sippy cups. On top of that is another zippered pocket not too big but I can see storing an extra binky here or tylenol.

On the other side is an opened mesh pocket, which is on top of another zippered pocket, maybe a place for small toys, snacks for older.

There is also a place for a cell phone on the outside.

The inside has 4 more pockets and another zippered pocket and a key ring. Plus the whole inside for storage..

Here is a link...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.81883/dept_id./qx/product.htm

I got the black, and the inside is lined gray.

I do have the Peewee T2, but it lacks the pockets and you may have to revert to the vertical storage. I also have the Mothership and an Alpha7, but I sometimes have trouble with a sippy cup in the outside pockets, but I like switching off between these two as a daily bag., but i do not have 2 in diapers. I do find these 3 bags to be plenty for my needs, but you seem to be carrying much more.

My plan is to use the Healthy back bag--they also have a diaper bag ersion on their site--for my pack all day bag for my day day trips to parks, zoo, and summer mini trips, where I would be away from home for long hours and need a change of clothes or maybe pajamas for the kids food snakcs bottle. It is not as fashionable as my mothership or alpha 7, but i feel I can pack all I need and still be organized. Maybe i can pack up and see what fits.

Sorry so long....Just wanted to expalin the bag to you....and throwing out another idea to you.

Chelsey333
05-05-2004, 06:49 PM
That is too bad about the Marsupial. Especially bec I bought it for my newborn (not born yet) and 2 year old! But I have to say that I think it is the most organized bag I have seen. I think you might have a hard time finding something more organized than that. For me, it is the least "vertically stacked" bag I have, which is why I am hoping I will be more organized with it. I have an XL ISM (Imstillme.com), which has a ton of pockets and I think I will like that one too. You might want to try it out, I think it has 6 or 7 pockets. The only problem is, the XL is so long, that you might end up covering up the pockets. I also have a Skip Hop now, and I like it. It has nice pockets, but things in the middle pocket can get vertically stacked also. Plus it might be hard to fit everything for a 16 mos. old and a newborn. Would the Marsupial work better for you if you kept an extra diaper bag in your car filled with extras (extra clothes, diapers, wipes)? Then you wouldn't have to pack so much in the Marsupial and it would be less vertically stacked. I have heard great things about the Fleurville Mothership, but it is really large. Good luck and congratulations on your baby boy.

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Ronda,
No real advice for you...I have a skip hop that has lots of pockets, but I'm not sure if it is big enough for your needs...
I really wanted to just post to say congratulations on your new little one!!!!

blnony
05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
I don't have experience with 2 babies, but...what about something like the Loom Bandicoot that can be a backpack? that might be easier with two little ones.
I loved the pockets of my XL ISM too; very orgainzed, and big. Thats one reason why I stopped using it; it was just too much for me now.
ALso, the Alpha 7 can be a bag or backpack; and that feature might be nice and it looks to be super organized; I was very tempted by it but again, too big for me.
But congrats on your little boy. And a big congrats on getting out with BOTH of them so early, I have to say, I'm amazed. :)

lmariana
05-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi Ronda!

1. My first thought is the Mothership, as a couple of other people have already mentioned. I only have one child, but I think there is more than enough space for 2 children, especially if you replace the Mothership changing pad with the Loom one or a disposable. I find the Mothership pad is too bulky, if you're short on space. The bag has a magnetic closure, but they are not as nice as the Loom's magnets, in my opinion.

2. The Alpha 7 isn't much smaller than the Mothership, and it has an adjustable strap and can also be worn as a backpack, nice! It has velcro closures, which can be a pain for some people, but overall it's a super bag.

Both Fleurville bags have practically the same organization as the Loom (the Alpha 7 is lacking one bottle pocket inside), 2 exterior side pockets, one large exterior back pocket, plus the Alpha 7 has 3 smaller exterior pockets under the flap.

If you decide to go with a Fleurville bag, www.missfitzinc.com has free shipping plus a free Fleurville wrist bag with diaper bag purchase, coupon code "Fleurville". This code is good through the end of May. :)

3. Another, less attractive option is a backpack. I only have one, and it's the Baby Sherpa, and I love it. It's huge and very newborn/toddler friendly. It has a built-in cooler section for bottles, EBM, formula, snacks, etc. It also has two detachable sippy/bottle holder pockets outside. I keep this one stocked in my car and sometimes use it on long outings.

4. Another brand I'm recently intrigued with is Dobre Goods @ www.totshop.com. They have a couple size options, the Bambino Bag, Phys Ed bag, and Carry On bag. The have fun, colorful patterns and are decently priced at $75-88. They have matching accessories to use as clutches or dirty bags. The Carry On bag even has a zip-down section where you can expand the bag from 12" to 17"! They are all tote style but so cute! With a cotton/nylon exterior, it should clean up nicely. I'm tempted to test out a Bambino Bag...

Out of all these options, I think the Mothership would be a super choice. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

blnony
05-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Mariana--
Those are some CUTE bags. Oh...you are so bad...;) My bank account is going to be screaming!! Have you tried one yet?

toomanystrollers
05-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Yes Mariana - you're a very bad influence. I'm already thinking of ditching my grey kiwi for a new red V2 and now all these great bags you keep finding. Bad, bad girl :)

blnony
05-05-2004, 10:46 PM
I looked a little further into the Dobre Bag..but at the totshop..shipping is $11!! :o

boys2enough
05-05-2004, 11:15 PM
HHHHIIIII!!!! Ronda!!!!! Just want to say hi! :)

Sorry that the Marsupial didn't work out for you. I was hoping that your diaper bag search will fare better than your search for the perfect double stroller... :-(

Sending lots of love and good luck your way!!!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

lmariana
05-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Eeek! That's so not a deal.

I've also seen the bags at http://www.bellissimama.com/accessories6.htm (they have the cute toddler tote there) and http://www.nedandshell.com/accents/dobre.html (some are marked down), not sure what the shipping charges are on those sites, but it can't be much worse than $11!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

MamaKath
05-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Congratulations Ronda!!!! Being a mommy of 2 is certainly a change, and I totally understand the functionality over style thing. I have the Ameribags (baby bag, tote, and another smaller sling purse) and have found that they are the most organized bags I have ever used. I think they are very well made, organized, functional, etc. I keep trying different bags, and would love some of the more fashionable ones, but when I have tried loading them, wearing them, etc in stores they just don't do it for me.

Some things I have found as a mom to 2- Messenger bags are wonderful since you can access stuff without removing the bag. Backpacks are good for hands free as you walk but harder to get to without removing. I also pack their stuff into bags (ditty bags, ziplocs, etc) diapers, wipes, recieving blanket for a changing pad into one for quick changes and to keep from everything dumping out; when I had 2 in diapers I kept their diapers and changing pads for each in seperate pouches and just added the wipes canister to the diaper bag. Then I can grab really quickly what I need. I cut way back on my own stuff, and throw it into a wrist bag (credit cards, cash, lip balms) so I can grab that quickly. For clothes changes, I keep a well stocked big bag in my trunk (clothes for each, empty sippies for each, a couple diapers, etc) just in case. I only pack water to drink for the kids or me (too many things have leaked in the past), and I can then also easily refill theirs as needed. If I can think of anything else helpful, I'll have to repost.

Congrats again, and best of luck in the adjustment to being a mom to 2! Happy Mother's Day.
ETA- If you have someplace you go regularly that needs to have specific things packed into, keep that bag seperate and packed. For example, I always need some snacks, quiet toys (why are these so hard to find these days), sippy cups, wipes, diapers, and crayons/paper for church so I have a nice looking tote, that stays completely packed with toys, snacks, empty sippies, changing supplies, etc. for Sunday morning. All I throw in is a water bottle and maybe an extra snack at the last minute. Saves me from the last minute panic each week.

HTH~