PDA

View Full Version : FLEURVILLE: mothership too big or get the alpha???

hubie
05-08-2004, 12:36 PM
so many bags seem either too big or too small. I have asked a few moms I see with the mothership and they love it except that it is a bit big for everyday. Opinions? I am due with my first in July.

robmab719
05-08-2004, 02:19 PM
It's really kind of a personal preference thing, IMHO. If I'd gotten the Mothership before I had my baby, I would've thought "WAY too big." (I was always a "small purse" kind of girl.) But since DD has arrived, I've been through at least 3 bags that were just too small or not functional enough. The Mothership is the only one I've found (so far) that is big enough and has good enough organization to handle all the stuff I take with us when we go out. Plus, I love the fact that it's really lightweight...even when I stuff it full.

I keep telling myself that someday I will be able to pare down and get a smaller bag, but for now, I think I've just gotten used to carrying a bigger bag. It doesn't feel "huge" to me like it did when I first pulled it out of the box. And when I try to use my smaller bags (even my Ella backpack), I get frustrated because I can't find anything.

Also, the Alpha is not THAT much smaller than the Mothership. Take a look at the "Lifestyle Gallery" at www.babyoliverboutique.com for photos of women wearing both these bags.

jasabo
05-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I would definitely recommend finding a store that sells them so you can compare IRL. I really thought I wanted a Mothership until I saw one IRL in a store - it was much bigger, boxier and bulky then I thought it would be so I didn't get it. I prefer to travel lighter, now that my boys are a little older and I have a better idea of what I need when I go out. When the boys were first born, I carried everything under the sun in my Babybaks backpack (not stylish, but very functional for a backpack). Now I just leave the Babybak in the car, fully stocked, at all times, and have a few different bags I use for going out.

One thing that I really like about the Alpha is it can be carried messenger style or backpack. I love the backpack option. Also, the straps are much thinner then the Mothership, making it less bulky IMO.

I guess my point is, everyone's different in how they pack so what's too big for me may be just right for you. Try to see one IRL, or if you buy online, make sure it's returnable.

Lisa - mom to 10 month old twin boys

houseof3boys
05-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I will echo what has been said already. I saw the Mothership IRL about 2 months before I was due and said to DH, "that bag is huge, how could you ever carry one and the baby?" and now here I am the proud owner of the Mothership. I think having one diaper bag is unrealistic though since there are quick trips and longer trips and one bag is hard to accomplish all that you would need to pack. The other thing to think about is the "stuff" differs from month to month with them. I *must* have toys with me now when Ryan starts acting up and I need a distraction. I must have food with me now as well. When they are little, a blanket and a change of clothes was mandatory as are several dipes, wipe case, changing pad, et cetera.

The mothership is a big bag, but I love it!!! I am 5'5" FWIW and I wear it messenger style.