PDA

View Full Version : Changing pad...do you carry one??

Andrea5flk
05-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Ok so I always have a changing pad in whatever bag I am using. Each bag I have comes with one, so I always have obe with me. But I never use them. If I am out I always change them in the stroller, or in the car. I think I have used the pad in the bag a total of 3 times in the past 2 1/2 years. SO why do I carry it, it takes up precious room in the diaper bag.

Does everyone carry them. If you dont do you have one with you in the stroller or the car. Huggies now makes disposable pads so I was thinking about getting a box of them, one for the car, the stroller, and a few in the bag. WOuld take up less room.

Andrea

Mommy to Jeremy 11/19/01 and Frankie 5/30/03

redhookmom
05-16-2004, 12:37 PM
The disposable ones sounds like a good idea.

I carry a lap pad because I can fold it up smaller then a changing pad. I use it quite infrequently.

Chelsey333
05-16-2004, 12:46 PM
I recently bought the Huggies disposable and I really like them. I keep one in the car and usually change my ds in the car instead of public rest rooms. But I do usually keep a changing pad in my bag also, just in case we are over someone's house visiting. But I could just carry the Huggies disposable in the bag, they are really large but fold nice and compactly. I guess the only reason I still carry the padded one in my diaper bag is in case I am somewhere that I have to change the diaper on a hard floor - but that hardly ever happens.

robmab719
05-16-2004, 01:35 PM
I've considered the Huggies disposables, but right now, I really need the padding. DD is very wiggly and I'm afraid she is going to bang her head on a hard changing table when she is thrashing around.

I've actually started making my own changing pads. They're really easy to sew...just a big square...and you can create your own dimensions. I usually do a waterproof fabric on one side, a pretty fabric that matches my bag on the other and felt padding in between the two. Then I use bias tape around the edge and velcro to close. If you can sew at all, it's really very easy! (And it's really nice to have one that matches each bag.)

jasabo
05-16-2004, 01:44 PM
I carry the disposable ones. I've always had a thing about putting my changing pad down on a surface that who knows what has been there before, then putting the pad back in my bag. HOWEVER!! I'm the worlds biggest germaphobe when it comes to bathrooms. I'm way over the top there, so take my comments for what they're worth :) The rational/non-germaphobe argument for using them is that they take up less room in the diaper bag :)

Lisa - mom to 11 month old twin boys

parkersmama
05-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Well, I usually do carry one but I never use it. I'm currently using a Vera Bradley CarryAll bag that didn't come with a pad and I haven't missed it a bit. I do most diaper changes in the stroller or the car and don't find a changing pad to be needed or even helpful.

I *do not* use public changing tables. In 6 1/2 years of having children (I'm serious...6 1/2 years of constantly at least one child in diapers!), I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've used a public changing table. They gross me out completely. I'm not really a germaphobe but I can't stand them. I'd have to completely cover it with something so that not even the child's hands or head touched and then that would have to go in the trash cause there'd be no way it was going back in my diaper bag! LOL!

So, no, I find changing pads to be useless. If I'm at someone else's house, I just use one of our receiving blankets or even a cloth diaper as a changing pad.

MamaKath
05-16-2004, 06:03 PM
The disposable ones sound good! I don't often carry whatever comes with the bag, but often a recieving blanket instead. I do use it if we are out and changing in the car, stroller, or heaven forbid the nasty pulic station, Euywww- yuckky!!! The are easy enough to throw in the wash to get all the nasties off too.

The best disposable ones I have used...a flannel backed table cloth from the dollar store cut to the dimensions I desired. :-) Cheaper than the disposables or the surgical pads that many moms use, and I don't have to tote them back like the recieving blankets (which I keep seperated in a Ziploc anyway, but still- yucky).

HTH~

egoldber
05-16-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't carry the ones that come with my bags because they take up too much room. I replaced them all with cheap lap pads from BRU.

The thought of the disposable changing pads kind of kills the frugal/environmentalist in me. :)

HTH,

parkersmama
05-16-2004, 08:08 PM
That's been my resistance to the disposable ones, too, Beth. Every time I consider buying them I end up putting them back. I mean, we're almost completely off disposable diapers, we don't use paper plates, cups or napkins, don't use disposable wipes or bibs, and rarely use paper towels. Good grief, I guess toilet paper is the next to go! LOL! ;)