PDA

View Full Version : Best Diaper Bag You've Bought Under $40?

lmariana
05-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Most of our conversation here lately has been about bags in the $100+ range, so I thought it would be a nice change of pace to talk about some of the best bags UNDER $40 that we've bought!

This can include diaper bags, bags that work well as diaper bags, whatever. Yay!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

robmab719
05-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Sadly, I don't think I've ever bought one for under $40, so I'm looking forward to the responses to this thread!

Actually, I take that back. The Lands End Backpack we have was $39.50, I think. And I think it's a great diaper bag, as far as organization, durability and practicality. But it's DH's "manly-bag" and isn't really my style. All of my cute stylish bags have been $80 and up.

cchavez
05-17-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm not that crazy about my LE back pack but it does get used. For instance today we are going to the park, so I am taking it there.

The LE little tripper is a great bag for quick trips.

kathsmom
05-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Hands down, my favorite is the Baby Trend Activpak backpack. I bought it at BRU when Andrew was about 5 months old. I don't know if they sell it at the stores anymore, but it was still online at www.babiesrus.com at one time.

It retails for 29.99 (I think) and I had a $5 off coupon, so I got it for 24.99. I still use this most everyday, even though it is big. I have tried other diaper bags, and I still come back to this one. The organization section where I keep my diapers/wipes/disposable bags, etc. is great. It does have a tendency to have the black hole effect in the main section, but I don't carry a ton of stuff in there anyway.

I love it because when I have to pack snacks and drinks for both children, there is plenty of room. I don't use the half moon shaped bag that came with or the bottle holder.

I use a smaller handmade diaper bag that I bought at a craft fair for Andrew for the church nursery. It is way too floppy and stuff falls all over the place in it. I am looking for a medium size diaper bag that might be feasible to use everyday for Andrew's stuff and sometimes Katherine's stuff that isn't as big as the Activpak. I might look into the Alpha 7!

Momof3Labs
05-17-2004, 10:55 AM
LE Little Tripper
Combi traditional bag (I think that's the name)
My generic black bag from baby depot that we used for over a year!

jk3
05-17-2004, 11:00 AM
I really like the Baby Bjorn backpack. I bought this for just over $40 but I know it can be found on sale or on Ebay for under $40. This was my first diaper bag and it's highly functional. The exterior pocket has room for baby food jars+ spoons and also contains a roomy pocket w/velcro that I put my wallet + personal items into. There are 2 insulated bottle pockets. The main compartment is roomy + has a few pockets too. Now DH uses this bag all of the time!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

egoldber
05-17-2004, 11:16 AM
I really like:

Lands End Little Tripper ($20)
Combi Traditional diaper bag ($35)

I have taken to using my Combi Urban Sling again and I have re-fallen in love with it. (I didn't like it for about 18 months, LOL.) It was $40.

I got my Timbuk2 messenger on clearance for $40. Does that count? :)

I know tons of people who love their Lands End Do it Alls.

I have never spent more than $40 for a diaper bag. I never will.

HTH,

RiaHannam
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Call me crazy but I loved my *free* similac black bag. Just kept going back to it......... until I got my Ameribag Tote almost 2 mos ago. I LOVE IT. And I think it was $30-$35 or so.

kathsmom
05-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Beth,

I think half the fun is when I tell DH the prices of the new bags I am thinking of trying out. He just about has heart failure!LOL! But since I am still on the quest for the perfect medium size diaper bag, I am almost at the point where I will pay anything (under $150) to get what I need.

parkersmama
05-17-2004, 02:01 PM
I like my old Lands' End Little Tripper. It was a great bag when I just had a toddler (one or two diapers) and a preschooler.

But, my hands down favorite would have to be the AmeriBag Tote I got after reading about them here. It was right at $40 from eBags.com and I got it specifically for our Disney trip. I bought caribiners from Target (also suggested here) and hooked it onto the hooks of my P3 during our WDW trip. It was fabulous!! The bag stands on it's own when it's not hooked to the stroller, it's comfy to carry, and it's quite roomy. I was able to pack it full of diapers, wipes, LOTS of snacks, sippy cup, pacis, wallet, cell phone, walkie-talkie, Disney guide book, pen, spoon, hand wipes, travel size diaper cream and powder, camera, and more! It was *the perfect* bag for our trip and I'm sure that I'll use it around town, too, when we take the stroller out and about.

MariFP
05-17-2004, 02:08 PM
I have a Baby Trend black bag from BRU.
An Old Navy bag, it is big, tan, vinyl, lots of pockets and I like it a lot, just the straps that are too short. It was $15 I guess. They also had it in black.
And I have a Burberry bag that is nice, just doesn't have divisions inside.
I have a nice tote striped bag from Sears that I got for a really good price. Really nice!

blnony
05-17-2004, 03:21 PM
About 2 years ago I ran accross a darling denim beach tote at Nordstroms. It has 3 big plastic pockets inside and I ended up using it as a diaper bag for awhile. I still use it ever now and then too. It was $20, and I love that bag.

DDowning
05-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Believe it or not, I like to use the insulated bag that came with my Avent Isis Pump that I got as a shower gift. Its just the right size to take along if I'm out for a walk and going to the park or one of my playgroups, down for coffee, etc. Its insulated, it has a net on the inside flap that holds my pampers wipes and a diaper or two; a strap to hold a bottle, space for snacks, plus a front zipper pocket for keys, id, etc.

ETA: Oops, spelling correction.

ppshah
05-17-2004, 05:05 PM
I have a Baby Trend red tote.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000632R1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It was my only bag for 10 months. Then I started visiting this board. Well, the rest is history!

It's a great bag for infants. It pretty big and holds a lot of stuff.Come with an insulated bottle holder, mommy pouch, dirties pouch and attached padded changing pad.

Currently being used as a daycare bag.

Oh yeah and the enfamil freebie bag is great. It's DH's bag!

Nina31
05-17-2004, 05:16 PM
I have to agree with Kathsmom (Toni) and say that the best diaper bag I have under $40 is the Baby Trend Activpak from BRU. I got in the Spring of 2001 for $29.99. It has a lot of pockets plus goodies like the accessory pouch, dirty duds bag, changing pad, bottle cooler, outside bottle pockets and a key clip! It's still in great shape.

The newest Lands End Little Tripper is also a great smaller bag too. I like the organization and the light blue lining.

Nina
Mommy to Thomas (Oct. 2000) and
Baby #2 EDD July 2004

kathsmom
05-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Nina,

Where have you been, girl? I haven't seen you around in ages. And now I see that you are expecting a new little one! How exciting! Congratulations! Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl? Or are you going to wait to find out?

Just like last year, I am still on the hunt for the perfect diaper bag.

Take care and let me know how you are doing! You can e-mail me through the boards.

Nina31
05-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi Toni!
I was out of the loop for awhile, until I started to think about the new things I need (or want) for the new baby! It's a girl. These boards are dangerous for shoppers! :) As a result, I bought a new stroller I really didn't need (a P3) and like you, I'm still looking for a great bag that's just a tad bit smaller than the Activpak. I must have gone through about 20. I've given away, returned, or sold most of them, except the Activpak.

Once I find your email address, I'll email you!

Nina

debbiet.
05-17-2004, 08:25 PM
A backpack on sale from gaps kids for 29.99.
Simble micro fiber material. I love it!

Debbie

Mommy to Joelle
2 years old

redhookmom
05-17-2004, 08:35 PM
The bags that I have bought for under $40 and I use often are the Combi:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6275.jpg

And, the Eddie Bauer:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6276.jpg

momathome
05-17-2004, 08:48 PM
I love my Eddie Bauer backpack from the EB website - I got it on sale for $34.99. It has a ton of fabulous compartments, doesn't look at all like a diaper bag, very comfy to carry, and not too bulky. It's what I am currently using! :)
-Lauren

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
05-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Good question.
I really liked my LE Little Tripper when my first was about 6 months old until the new baby came. Right now I have it stocked with some essentials in case Daddy needs it. I may go back to this (or the new style) once I can scale back on gear.

I never really like my other bags all that much. My first bag, the Combi Urban Sling was difficult because it didn't hold all that much, wouldn't stand up, and was not too user friendly in my opinion. I e-bayed it. Then I had a Mac Highland Backpack after the second baby came. I got it for a great deal, it held alot , but one of the straps ended up pulling apart from the pack.

And when that happened my search for a new diaper bag began....and that's how I ended up here...... and now I have way more diaper bags than I need- but I'm happy!!

Gretchen
Lucian 12/18/01
Gabriel 8/22/03

twizzli
05-18-2004, 09:30 AM
another vote for the activpak. we get by with that and the similac freebie, so far.

Pipersmamma
05-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Just got my LE Large Tote diaper bag and it is amazing!!!! Stylish, 3 main zipper compartments lined with light blue so things are easy to see, tons of mesh compartments, huge changing pad- can't rave enough. This bag is great at $39.50.

sugarsnappea
05-19-2004, 08:17 AM
I like my old, old style LE DIA from 2001, it was probably around $35.
I also enjoy my Mackenzie Kids Backpack, which was only $12.95,
thanks to this board!

Currently I am leaning toward a messenger style bag like a Timbuk 2 or a Skip Hop.

kseltmann
05-19-2004, 10:28 AM
I will second that. At 39.50 its just under the wire, but I added a monogram that bumped it up 5 dollars. Still, its a great bag. I think its very easy to find things and I love the secret pocket that it has!

Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03