PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding btwn ameribag msg tote & backpack

hellokitty
05-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Well, I am a pocket freak and have about 10 diaper bags sitting in my closet that just aren't cutting it in terms of being practical. After reading some posts here I think I am going to try the ameribag. However, I have never tried it IRL before, so I need your help. I can't decide btwn the ameribag messenger tote or the traditional ameribag healthy bag (still undecided about small vs medium).

Here are some things that I consider important...

- must have a seperate pocket for a changing pad (I think these get icky, so I don't like it touching my other stuff... yes I am picky and a germ freak!)

- must have a pocket for hand sanitizer

- must be able to hold a bottle of water and probably a sippy cup too

- must have a key fob

- must have a cell phone compartment

- need a pocket for my wallet

- must have easy access to the bag

- would be nice to be able to fit my solarveil sling into the bag

- I prefer a lightwt bag, how heavy are these?

- Does the messenger tote stay on your shoulder?

- Need a compartment for my stuff (lip balm, coupons, hairbands, gum, etc.)

- Must be able to fit at least 4 disposable diapers

- Must be able to fit a baby outfit, a few rattles, maybe a board book, and some snacks

I already have a LE do it all for longer trips. So, this bag would be basically an everyday errand bag. My primary stroller right now is the universal car seat carrier, but my other strollers are a combi soho, maclaren techno and yakima beetle... nothing that has a huge basket, I like things that are compact and efficient, strollers and diaper bags included, lol.

Anyways, I would appreciate your opinions and any advice you may have. I'm sick of fumbling with diaper bags that just aren't meeting my needs, and honestly I am not that concerned with how fashionable it looks, b/c all my cute diaperbags look good, but aren't very functional. TIA!

PS- How big is the ameribag msg tote compared to the LE little tripper? I'm just curious, b/c that was also another option, but I was afraid the little tripper might be too small.

Mikesa3
05-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Ameribag Tote is 16W 10 3/4"H x 6"D
Lil Tripper- 13Wx10 1/2"Hx4 3/4"D
So the Ameribag would be quite a bit bigger.I think you could fit your sling in it.It doesn't sound like the Lil Tripper would be big enough.I know someone here has both Ameribags so I'm sure they can help you more.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

parkersmama
05-21-2004, 11:10 PM
I have a very old (6 years!) Do-It-All and I think the Ameribag Tote is relatively the same size. It's organized differently than my DIA and frankly, easier to find things in. But, remember, my DIA is very old and I'm sure there have been many improvements.

The AT definitely has all the requirements you need. There are at least two pockets that could work for a changing pad. One is on the outside on the back and velcros shut. The top has a great zip-around opening that makes everything in the bag very visible and the interior is light gray. Besides the back pocket on the outside, there is also a front large velcro pocket, a water bottle pocket on one end with a small zipper pocket on the outside of it, and a velcro pocket on the other end. Inside, there are one large velcro pocket on the back side (big enough for a changing pad), a medium velcro pocket on the front side, two pockets that are PDA or cell phone size, 2 pen pockets, a key fob, and a water bottle pocket on each end of the inside. And there is the large middle area as well. The organization is really terrific. I didn't have any trouble with it falling off my shoulder but I mostly was using it on the stroller. I didn't try it messenger style except for trying it on when it first came but it seemed comfy that way. It's pretty lightweight as bags go. The shoulder strap is very adjustable and it also has a grab handle on top.

I also have a regular Healthy Back Bag in size small...not a baby bag, though. If you are interested in the regular one, I can tell you it works well as a diaper bag except that the small one wouldn't have a good place to separate the changing pad. I don't know about the medium one. It has tons of pockets and really good organization as well. There are pen pockets, cell phone pockets, zippered and velcro pockets, a few outside pockets, and the large inner compartment. I can't look because my mom has it at her house right now (she used it on our Disney trip) but I know that when I use it I sometimes get confused about where things are becuase there are so many pockets! :)

HTH!

hellokitty
05-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks! I ended up ordering the ameribag healthy back tech pack. Maybe I will still get a LE little tripper later, someone posted they will be releasing new colors in july...

hellokitty
05-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Denise-

TY so much for the thorough review of the bags. I do have a LE do-it-all, it is about 3 yrs old, I know for sure there has been at least one style change since then. The LE is pretty big, my DH likes it, but I find it kind of bulky. However, your comparision to the do it all and the tote in size, helped tremendously to aid my decision, since the LE is a nice bag, but I don't know if I would want a bag that sticks out that much again.

Since DH and I went shopping in a larger city today and I tried out the regular healthy back bags and the diaper bag version. They did not have the tote, even though I had called ahead of time asking about it, they were confused and thought I was talking about another bag. :( I played around with the healthy back bags for a while, was impressed with how comfortable it felt to carry and it was interesting seeing the size of the bags IRL. Sooooo, I just ordered the healthy back tech version, which is a little, "sportier" looking than the regular healthy back and has an extra chest strap for a completely handsfree carry, plus a zip out bottom, that would probably make a nice compartment for diaper changing stuff. We ended up getting the large. I wanted the medium, but my DH insists he HATES having cramped bags to deal with, so he said he would rather go bigger than smaller. I hope he is right, I went along with it, b/c after looking at the measurements, the L didn't seem like it owuld be THAT much bigger than the M. It was reasonably priced at www.sierratradingpost.com and even if we don't end up using it for a dipaer bag (I HOPE this is THE one for us!), it's such a nice bag, I think we will at least use it for traveling. Of course if I'm still not happy, I will probably end up ordering the tote later on from ebags.com, lol. I went ahead and bought those bag hooks that ppl here recommended to hang the tote on the stroller, thinking I was going to get the tote. Oh well, it will come in handy for shopping bags and who knows maybe I will find some way to rig the ameribag tech bag onto the stroller.

Anyways, sorry to ramble. I will be sure to post a review when I recieve the bag and get a chance to try it out. Thanks again, your review really helped me kind of narrow things down even more. :)

RiaHannam
05-23-2004, 01:51 AM
Here is my review on the tote.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=5602&mesg_id=5602&listing_type=search

After using it everyday I love it. The only drawback so far is that I really don't know where to put my cell phone (it could fit easily in a pocket but I have a clip on it that makes it awkward). It's very lightweight, roomy and functional.

hellokitty
05-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for posting your review Maria! I ended up with one of the regular ameribags, but it is their new "tech" style, which the store I visited yesterday said has become very popular b/c it is more, "sporty" looking. What you said about the tote pockets being on the smaller side and all the velcro were some of my concerns. However, I do have to say, I *love* that ocean blue color, wish that ameribag in general carried cuter colors/patterns... but I guess they want their bags to appear gender neutral. Thanks again! :)

parkersmama
05-23-2004, 11:29 PM
That looks like a really cool bag! I bet you'll love it. I think the large would be too big for me, too. I'd rather have cramped and smaller! LOL! Looking forward to your review...

hellokitty
05-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Lol, I am with you, I'd rather have something a little more cramped and smaller, however since it was just a matter of the L being a few inches larger than the M, I went along with my DH. I can't wait to get it, we went with the cheaper shipping, so I think it will take over a wk to a wk and a half before I arrives. I am really *hoping* we like this bag. :)

MamaKath
05-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Haven't been around much lately but have both the Baby Bag and Tote. I see you ordered one, but if you have further questions feel free to pm me or post here. :-)

hellokitty
05-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks Kath! :)