PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 7 vs. Mothership?

DeborahM
05-21-2004, 12:31 AM
For those of your Fleurville owners... how much smaller is the Alpha 7 than the Mothership? I haven't seen either IRL, but have been really intersted in the Mothership based on everyone's comments. I was looking at the Alpha 7 description tonight and was thinking this might work better with my P3, since I attach the strap clips on each side to the stroller w/ my carbiners. I'll be packing for an infant and a toddler soon, but I bought an Escape pod that I can use for toddler bibs, diapers, etc.

Also, does anyone know if Fleurville is planning to expand the fabric choices of the Alpha 7? I really like the white corduroy and the pink stripe, neither of which are offered in the Alpha 7.

Thanks for your help!

Deborah
Mom to Thomas and soon-to-arrive baby girl

lmariana
05-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi Deborah!

I have both an Alpha 7 and a Mothership. It's funny, I didn't think the Alpha 7 was that much smaller than the Mothership, until I tried to pack it! I missed all the precious space from the Mothership! Although it doesn't look much smaller on the outside, I find that the Alpha 7 carries about 60% of the capacity of the Mothership.

Would this be your main diaper bag, or just one for shorter outtings? I'll try to take some pictures today and see if that will help!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

DeborahM
05-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Mariana,

Yes - I was thinking of getting a Mothership to be able to hold gear for both babies (an infant and toddler) and hanging it over the handles or something. I've been wanting to check one out in person at a BNM store. I have a P3, but am planning to get a Mac twin stroller, so I've also been working on getting smaller bags that could fit in the Mac baskets. I picked up an Escape pod and have a WW bag on order that I thought would work.

But, if an Alpha 7 is easier to attach, then maybe I should use that instead of a mothership, and maybe in conjunction w/ an Escape pod??? I'm trying to remember what I used to bring when DS was an infant. I'm thinking I'd need to definitely hold newborn stuff - diapers, wipes, cloth diaper, extra onesie/outfit, pacifier - plus toddler snacks, a sippy cup and toys.

Thanks for you offer of pictures - that'd be helpful! :)

Deborah

robmab719
05-21-2004, 10:25 AM
I don't have an Alpha 7 (YET!), but I've been hanging my Mothership over the handles of my Zippy and it works fine that way. I'm not sure how the handles are set up on the Mac Twin, but if you can lay the Mothership strap across two handles (like on a single), I've found that it puts the bag at a really good height for when you need to access it. In fact, I'm so happy with the way it's been working that I decided to sell my Skip Hop (which was my preferred stroller bag until the Mothership arrived).

Since you'll be packing for two, I'd strongly recommend the Mothership over the Alpha. Especially with one of your children being an infant. I only have one DD and find that I can almost fill the Mothership (especially when we're going to be out and about all day). I'm hoping by Fall that I can pare down to an Alpha 7. :)

jasabo
05-21-2004, 12:29 PM
I have an Alpha 7 and have seen a Mothership IRL. IMO, the Mothership is MUCH bigger then the Alpha. It seemed too bulky for me, which is why I didn't get it. Also, I like the straps much better on the Alpha, and the ability to wear it as a backpack is great too. I use it as my primary diaperbag (when I'm taking a break from my WW :)) and I keep a fully stocked Babybaks backpack in the car with change of clothes, diapers, etc. I've actually only had to break into the backpack two or three times, so I'm able to carry everything I need in the A7. I used to lug the backpack around in the mall, etc. and finally decided it was overkill since all I ever needed was bottles and maybe a diaper. You mentioned the Escape Pod - I don't know that it would fit in the A7. If it did, it would take up much of your storage room. So if you want to use that, you'd probably be better off with the Mothership.

Also, re: carrying with a stroller - I have an Inglesina Twin Swift and I just hang my bag from the handles (hang the messenger/tote strap from each of the outter handles). It works great, and looks a little like a SkipHop. I have easy access, and it doesn't get in the way. I'm not sure if you could do that with a Mothership - not sure if the strap would be long enough. Oh, and I have the red and have been very happy with it.

Lisa - mom to 11 month old twin boys

DeborahM
05-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I did take some time while DS was napping this afternoon and treked to a BNM store to see these IRL. They are both much bigger than I imagined! Right now, I'm leaning towards getting an Alpha7, I think it'll be easier to fit over the stroller handles and I have a chance of putting one in the P3 basket. Now.... just have to decide on a color :)

Deborah

ktdid74
05-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi Deborah- here are some pics I took the other day of my P3 and Mothership. I thought the MS was huge, too, but I love how it holds everything. I've only used it for daycare so far but it's so nice to be able to fit both kids stuff into one bag. Plus, it's so pretty :) I bet it would be perfect for a toddler and newborn.

DeborahM
05-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Just ordered a blue chocolate Alpha 7 from Baby Oliver. I figured I better get my order in while the 10% off coupon was still good :)
I really really love the fabrics and vinyl coating on the motherships and am still dying for one, but I'm just not sure about the size and how it'll work w/ my strollers - particularly the Mac Twin I'm going to get. I think I can easily hang the Alpha 7 off the Mac handles. I may end up with several diaper bags per outing -- but hey, if I bought all of them, I should be using them, right??? ;)

Thanks for everyone's help!
Deborah

cimberdog
05-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Well if you decide to take the plunge again and are interested in a like new pink stripe mothership, let me know! I've got one I'm trying to sell since I ordered one in purple swirl instead!

I drive a Mac Techo (had a Zippy and sold it) and a Mac Volo. I just hang the mothership over the handles and that works well. It's easy to get into from there too. I find it to be a rather light bag, even when things are packed in it. I considered the Alpha 7, but I liked that little extra the mothership gave me:)