PDA

View Full Version : First diaper bag

KBecks
05-25-2004, 03:46 PM
I need some help picking a first diaper bag.

My goal would be to pack light for day to day needs, including diapers, wipes, a small snack, a small toy, maybe a change of clothes(??), and room for my keys, wallet,sunglasses.

Any recommendations? I'd like something basic (not too girlie), and is not too expensive (under $50). The skip hop looks good -- or should I try a Land's End bag? I saw their large tote recently, but it was heavy, even empty, and seemed big but useful.

KBecks

lmariana
05-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Personally, I'd go with a Skip Hop. I think those bags rock! Not only are they light, but you can pack a little or a lot and still have a slim bag. The biggest selling point for me though is the stroller attachment straps. I use them on my stroller and on shopping carts. If the babyage.com coupon code is still working, you can get 10% off (code: RELAUNCH). If you go through Ebates.com, you also get 4% cash back rewards. :)

Good luck with your decision!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Momof3Labs
05-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Why not just use the hospital diaper bag for a while? Then you can take some time to decide what you like about a diaper bag and what you don't; I don't know that too many of us are still using our first diaper bag!

See, IMO, the Skip Hop is too big for what you describe - it is a very tall bag. But once you have baby, your packing will change from what you plan (I don't see a changing pad on your list, burp cloths, receiving blankets, etc., for example, and toys and snacks won't be needed till later).

Diaper bags are so personal, one person's dream is another person's nightmare!

Dscvrlifewith3
05-25-2004, 07:32 PM
I second using the freebie from the hospital until you know what you are going to carry and need.

<Diaper bags are so personal, one person's dream is another person's nightmare!>

Very true!

kseltmann
05-25-2004, 07:32 PM
I started with a Vera Bradley bag that I got as a gift. I liked it a lot, but it didn't have enough pockets and I felt that I was always digging through the bag trying to find things. I moved to the LE Large Tailored tote, which I absolutely love, but now its too big for what 8 month old DD and I travel with. It's also summery now and I am not carrying hats and blankets and a sweater, either. Now I use a skip hop and I am thrilled with it. I won't spend a lot of money on a bag and this is why... Needs change, tastes change, you will get bored with it, you will see one you like...
Use a hospital bag until you know what you like. Then, let the fun begin. Diaper bags are more addictive than purses. (I didn't mention all of the diaper bags that I have bought and returned or hidden from DH and pretended to return!)
Good Luck!
Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

Dscvrlifewith3
05-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey my neighbor has nearly 80. We counted the other day.

Its sickening....

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarahfran
05-25-2004, 08:12 PM
I bought a LE Little Tripper as my first. I thought it would be perfect because I planned to travel light. I quickly found that I didn't like the black lining, the tight quarters, the bulky changing pad, etc.

As much as I lust after all the bags folks here rave about (Fleurville, Sally Spicer, T2, etc), I find that I'm honestly quite happy just using a big hobo style lightweight Italian designer purse I bought at TJ Maxx. I still travel light (2 diapers, wipes, jar of food, spoon, onesie, toys + all my stuff), and this way I never have to move my stuff out of the "diaper bag" and into the "purse" for work.

Other than the changing pad and wet pouch, I actually don't see a huge advantage to using a "real" diaper bag... I know, I'm in the minority!

Good luck!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

miki
05-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Use the hospital freebie for a while. I got a smallish black one given out by Similac. It was definitely big enough for everything a newborn needs. Now I need a bigger bag for toys, baby snacks, etc. Can't wait to get the backpack I ordered from Whimsical Wears!

Chelsey333
05-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Just an fyi, some of the hospitals aren't giving out free diaper bags anymore. I brought my coupon from Similac and Enfamil and they told me they don't give those out anymore. I was so disappointed, bec I love the little cooler packs that come with them. So if you haven't had your baby yet, you might not get a free one.

Dscvrlifewith3
05-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Where I live hospitals will host a baby event for parents to be, there are often venders their advertising (not selling) their products. Many drug reps are there and they often have the diaper bags. I think Similac has a really nice bag out.

If you really want to not spend a lot of money, you can pick up one of these *free* diaper bags up on eBay for a few bucks. Often all the samples and then some are included.

This is a much better alternative then buying something you may not be happy with after your baby arrives.

olim
05-26-2004, 01:54 AM
I started with a Vera Bradley and found that the shoulder straps kept falling whenever I tried to do anything. I just got the Skip Hop from babyage.com and I LOVE it.

ppshah
05-26-2004, 10:12 AM
With a newborn you will need to carry more diapers,- definately a change of clothes, a receiving blanket, burb cloth, hat for the summer, water bottle for yourself. Even if you are a light packer these things add up.

Also DH will use a skip hop- probably wouldn't use the tote. Though my DH just uses the freebie.

hth