PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE Help me narrow down my diaper bag choices!!!!

urbanmama
05-26-2004, 06:48 PM
I am in desperate (ok, not desperate, I just really want a new one) need of a new diaper bag. I have been reading old posts trying to research my options. I've never frequented this forum before (spend most of my time in Reality Layette) and I'm overwhelmed with my choices. I would love some advice from the diaper bag experts here.

I have a 13 month old and a 3.5 year old so I'm looking to pare down and move to a smaller bag. I would like something a little larger than the LE Little Tripper and I'd prefer something more stylish as well. All of my other bag have been very utilitarian looking with plain (black or cream or navy) colors.

This time I'd like something more fun! I love the Fleurville Mothership in Pink Stripe but I think that's way more bag then I need. The Alpha 7 is a possibility but I wish that it came in Pink Stripe!

I'm so sad that I found this forum after the WW co-op. I would have loved to order a custom bag too. I will definitely be stalking this forum from now on in case there is another co-op. The pics of the bags that were posted were gorgeous!

Also, in addition to the "wants" that I have posted, I would prefer a messenger style bag or possibly a backpack. As far as a budget, I don't really have an amount in mind. I just want a stylish bag that will serve me well. If you have ANY thoughts/opinions/advice, I would really appreciate it!

TIA,
Marie

pritchettzoo
05-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Just so you know, WW has a 15% off coupon code right now. It's not quite as good of a deal as the co-op, but it's still an amazing price considering the quality (sewing-wise AND material-wise). I don't have one of her backpacks though.

I can't help on anything else. The only other bag I've used is a boring old Healthy Back Bag. :)

I love the look of the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy Backpacks. Those are convertible backpack to messenger-style. I've never tried one (or even seen one IRL), I just think they look cool! They have a pink striped one: http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/product_detail.phtml?id=8 Wow...the more I look at these, the more I want a co-op on them. Or maybe I missed one? Idonotneedanotherbag...Idonotneedanotherbag...Idon otneedanotherbag...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
05-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi Marie and welcome! I know how you feel - I found this board not too long ago and I now have the diaper bag bug! Anyway, I would say that the Alpha 7 would be a good choice. I have it in Fiesta stripe, which is a courduroy. It is a pretty fun/hip bag and I like that it doesn't look like a diaper bag - so I think it may have more longevity. It is still fairly big, though. It is very comfy as a messenger with generous adjustable straps. The backpack option is also handy. I also have the Mothership, but currently don't use that on a daily basis, only when I have alot to carry. I don't find it as comfortable messenger style. Both have lots of pockets and good organization. On another note, the Marsupial is a great diaper bag, but I use it more over the shoulder than messenger and it definitely has more of a diaper bag look. I would say that it has the best craftsmanship and organization of the three, but the Fleurville's are also very well-made. I posted pics a while back of all 3 packed with the same gear if that would help you at all.
Good luck and have fun!

urbanmama
05-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Anna,

Thanks for the heads up about the coupon code. I may just have to order one of those. Which WW bag do you have? How did you deal with all of the choices that need to be made?

Those Petunia Picklebottom backpacks are cute. Hmmm... I may have to consider one of those as well!

Marie

urbanmama
05-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Gretchen,

Thanks for the welcome and all of the great information! I think I have the diaper bag bug now too. I may consider the Alpha 7, but I love the pink stripe and the "fabric" of the Mothership better. I haven't considered the Marsupial. Maybe I should. Could you point me to the post that shows the pics of all of your bags? TIA!

Marie

robmab719
05-28-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm leaning toward this messenger:

http://www.babyoliverboutique.com/bumble-bugs-multi-stripe-diaper-bag.html

It can be either a messenger or backpack and comes in a few other patterns as well.

Also, have you considered a Skip Hop? If you don't need "a lot of bag," this one has great organization and comes in some really fun colors.

Dscvrlifewith3
05-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Anna's bag is the one pictured on the main page of the site, the three peas in a pod, Floral Fantasy Red.

tina-t
05-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Marie, how about the Kecci Shanghai mommy bags at www.kecci.com. These look similar to the petunia picklebottom bags but at a fraction of the price. Some ladies here found the bags at their local Nordstrom Rack. It can be used as a shoulder bag, backpack or messenger bag.

pritchettzoo
05-29-2004, 01:04 AM
Picking the fabric was excrutiating. I looked at so many fabrics I about went nuts. I finally found the one and ordered the bag. Kim called when she got the fabric because it was VIBRANT and asked if I was sure. I was so tired of looking at freaking fabric that I said just do it because I did not want to choose again. And it turned out beautimous--it's now a centerfold! :)

Let me know if you get a PP how they are in person!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

urbanmama
05-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Kim,

Thanks for pointing me to the right bag! I think I'll be ordering a bag soon, but I'm confused about all of my options. Would it be possible to consult with you?

Marie

urbanmama
05-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Anna,

I'll let you know if I buy the PP. It looks really cute, but I wish it had the shiny coating of the Mothership. Do you know of any other bags that have that vinyl material?

BTW, I knew I recognized your login name. I looked for those red polka dot bloomers you were searching for at my Gymbo but they didn't have your size. I'm so glad that you located them!

Marie

urbanmama
05-29-2004, 10:19 PM
That Bumble Bug bag is really cute too. I love the stripes. Is it smaller that the Mothership? I couldn't find dimensions on the site. I'm really trying to find a medium size bag.

I am considering the Skip Hop too. How does it fasten on the stroller? Does it have velcro straps or something? Would it work on a MBUD? Is it bigger than a LE Little Tripper?

Sorry for all of the questions. Any info would be great. This is rather overwhelming!

Marie

urbanmama
05-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks! I'm going to check Nordstrom Rack to see if they have these in stock!

Marie

robmab719
05-29-2004, 11:12 PM
The Bumble is close to the size of the Mothership. Actually, I just checked and it's exactly 2" wider than the Alpha 7, with the same height and depth. So it may be bigger than you're looking for.

The Skip Hop attaches to the stroller with two little straps attached to the inside of the bag. You just hook the strap around the handle of the stroller or shopping cart, then click it into the same fastener that holds the messenger strap. Sounds confusing, but it's amazingly simple.

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
05-30-2004, 03:09 AM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=7396&mesg_id=7396&listing_type=search

Here is the link - hope it works