PDA

View Full Version : Need a diaper bag ASAP for travel...LE Do-it-all

deborah_r
05-29-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm looking at flying from LA to CT, and I feel like I need a good bag to make sure I have all of Kai's little needs handy on the plane. I have the LE Updated Day Tripper, but that isn't going to do it. I plan to use that one as my "purse" I think. So I'm thinking of the Do-it-all. Should I get the updated or the original, or should I get the backpack instead? Or is there some other bag I should look at, besides Lands End?

TIA

Dscvrlifewith3
05-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Go for the backpack. My aunt uses it and loves it for exactly what you want to do. She has traveled many times by plane with her two year old this year. Even though the LE Backpack is a bit heavy, she did like that you could pack it and go, having both hands free, etc.

I think this was also discussed in an earlier thread too so you may want to check it out!

Kim

pritchettzoo
05-29-2004, 12:51 AM
For a plane trip, definitely get a backpack! You'll need your hands free for Kai and the backpack will let you get through crowded areas (like the airport) and narrow plain aisles more easily than a shoulder bag.

I have never seen the Lands End bag in person. One of my best friends has an Eddie Bauer diaper backpack that she uses to fly cross country with her baby. She flies back and forth at least 4 times a year. If you're only taking one trip and otherwise wouldn't use a backpack diaper bag, you could always use a regular backpack (maybe leftover from school?) for the trip.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

tina-t
05-29-2004, 12:56 AM
I have used the LE backpack when we flew twice with ds, and it really helps to have your hands free. I have the do it all but I think the backpack holds a little more. I would vote for the backpack.

deborah_r
05-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Hmmm, I have an Eddie Bauer backpack, but I kind of hate it - but I can just see DH pitching a fit that I am buying another diaper backpack (well, the EB was a gift, but still...I don't think he'll see the necessity here) Maybe I'll pull out the EB and see what I can fit in there :(

He did surprise me with a handy little digital camera for my trip today, so I guess I should try to save money and not buy superfluous diaper bags! (Of course, I know he was just afraid of me traveling with his precious digital Rebel, LOL!)

I have an REI bag too, for hiking, but we got it on clearance and now I know why, because it is a total pain in the butt to use. Totally incomvenient...even DH agrees with that assessment!

sadie427
05-29-2004, 01:54 AM
I like my LE large microfiber tote for travel, because it has so many compartments and pockets, and is quite large. It has three zippered compartments, so there's one for my stuff, one for Sammy's diaper/changing stuff, and one for all his other stuff.

Momof3Labs
05-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Skip the DIA with the short handles - I don't know how you would juggle that in the airport.

I'm planning to use a Timbuk2 messenger bag for our trip at the end of June - I'm not a backpack gal, and their messenger bags stay in place pretty well. sierratradingpost.com has good prices on them, and free shipping this weekend with code WSUS3.

Ami
05-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I recommend Baby Sherpa (www.babysherpa.com) This is the only one I would fly with. It has lots of great compartments plus a built in cooler for snacks. Everything is easy to access and it is ergonomic so comfy to wear. The bungee X is also a great feature for putting jackets or stuffed toys on. It has toy loops, a huge change pad and is airline carry on approved.

Have a great trip.

Ami

lmariana
05-29-2004, 12:04 PM
I have one too and LOVE it. Ditto about the bungee X on the back, you never know how handy it can be until you start using it! I paid full price for mine, but they are on Ebay now for about $63, much better price.

This is one of those backpacks that will fit EVERYTHING. Definitely not something you would use daily, but great for travel.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Mikesa3
05-29-2004, 01:56 PM
>He did surprise me with a handy little digital camera for my
>trip today, so I guess I should try to save money and not buy
>superfluous diaper bags! (Of course, I know he was just
>afraid of me traveling with his precious digital Rebel,
>LOL!)

LOL my dh bought the Rebel recently and I had tried to convince him to get a smaller digi camera instead in case we ever travel but he said no if I want a small one I can get my own.It is a nice camera.Have a good trip.:-)
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

deborah_r
05-29-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to read all the little features on their site - does the Sherpa have contrasting interior (you know, to avoid "black hole" syndrome?)

I'm looking at my Eddie Bauer bag here and I don't think it
s going to cut it. It is small - I don't think it is the "good" EB backpack.

Mikesa3
05-29-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't have it but if you check out the Sherpa at ebags.com it looks like it has silver/gray inside ,so that should work well.HTH
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

hellokitty1
05-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Deborah-

Glad to see your post as we'll be traveling in Sept to Hawaii so I not only need a good bag for the plane ride but around the islands as well. I'm very much into functionality so I need all those pockets, etc. I have an Eddie Bauer too and use it as a daily diper bag but it's just not gonna cut it on a trip. Like you said, ( I think it was you) it's like a black hole. You just throw something in it and then dig for it when you need it. I was looking ton the Safeline brand (on e-bags) and I'm going to look into LE and Sherpa though the price of Sherpa's frighten me. Does anyone know if you can see Sherpa's IRL somewhere?

Good luck!

Ami
05-31-2004, 10:17 AM
The interior of the Baby Sherpa is light gray- so no black hole!

Ami

khakismom
05-31-2004, 05:56 PM
I just traveled from KC to FLA with both girls by myself and the backpack was indispensable!! I have the BabyTrend ActivPak from BRU (in black, it also comes in navy) and it was perfect!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005TPSQ/qid=1086037434/br=1-12/ref=br_lf_ba_12//102-1334884-0225711?v=glance&s=baby&n=542428

Tons of compartments for all your stuff. I had necessities for both girls (dipes wipes, acquaphor, desitin, motrin, utensils, sippies, disp changing pads, bibsters, regular cloth bib, toys, etc) plus still room for my Fleurville wrist clutch, sunglasses, cell phone, travel docs (passports, etc) digital camera, AND video camera. I love this bag for traveling. I used it to get to Florida and all over the Caribbean on our recent cruise.

The previous time I traveled by plane with the girls I used a tote (LE Multiple Tot Tote). Never again!! It was awful trying to keep it on my shoulder all the time. And it was so freaking heavy! Plus, once you get your stroller back, this backpack fits wonderfully over the 2 handles on my Pliko.

HTH! :)

deborah_r
06-01-2004, 02:35 AM
I am not a frequent ebayer - can these Baby Sherpa bags on ebay be trusted? How can they sell them for $25-30 cheaper than the list price? I'm seeing them for $55 on ebay - I think that was the BIN price.

Edit - oops, no the strting price is $55, the BIN is $62

stillplayswithbarbies
06-01-2004, 10:59 AM
maybe they bought them at the Right Start sale and got them for $40?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03