PDA

View Full Version : Got the Timbuk2 Metro and Shortcut - pictures included

myllam
06-04-2004, 03:07 AM
Hi,

I finally received the Timbuk2 Metro - orange(from REI) and the shortcut - red/silver/red (from www.rei-outlet.com) so I can compare the two.

Features on both:
1. inside the flap there is a small zippered pocket (maybe for change or lip stick) and a small slip pocket (can fit a pda).
2. both have a outside bottle pocket (fits a 16 ounce standard water bottle, but I could not get a sippy in it).
3. super adjustable shoulder strap for short and tall people :-)
4. Both have a handle
5. Key leash

Shortcut Features not available in the Metro:

1. Has a waist belt for carrying as a waist pack. There is a pocket in the back to hide the belt when not in use.
2. Padded back, kind of thick, so adds some weight and bulk to the bag.
3. Has an outside zip pocket right underneath the handle. Perfect for keys, small wallet, or cell.
4. underneath the pockets on the flap is a small divided pocket. In this area, there is a ID slot, a couple of pen slots, and 2 slit pockets (maybe for a cell phone and a pda?)
5. The main compartment has a zippered pocket.

Metro features not on the shortcut:
1. There is no small divider, just a main compartment. On one
side of the main compartment there is a zippered pocket that
runs the side of the bag, as well as a small zippered pocket
on top of that, an id slot, pen slots, and 2 slit pockets.
2. There is a elasticized pocket for a bottle or sippy cup.

I'm not 100% sure which one I will be keeping. I like the lightness of the Metro (the black padding and waist belt on the shortcut makes it seem bulkier even with nothing in it, and it actually makes the opening of the main compartment seem smaller). I like the organization of the shortcut (outside zipper pocket and the extra small divided pocket). If I stick with the metro, I would definitely go for another color (the rei site showed it in orange/yellow/orange, but it turned out to be all orange. They have fixed their website to show that).

Anyways, I hope this helps someone trying to decide. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer.

Monica

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7204.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7205.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7206.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7207.jpg

robmab719
06-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the great review, Monica! I ordered the Shortcut from Sierra Trading Post (mostly because it matched my bike...lol), and it sounds like it's going to work great for our short trips.

At first, I was bummed to hear that it doesn't have a divider, but it sounds like it has so many other great pockets that you don't even miss the divider. Can't wait to get mine!

smomom
06-04-2004, 11:57 AM
thanks so much for the review. I would love to have one of those bags, but not sure if that's possible now.

I have a question about the Shortcut. Is the waist belt removable - or does it stay connected and just slide into a pocket when not in use?

myllam
06-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi,

The waist belt is not removeable (I tried :-) The only thing I could do was to remove the plastic clips to make it just a little less bulky. It is very well stitched in place, so it would be hard to remove the belt permanently without having to sew. The shortcut is on clearance at www.sierratradingpost.com for $30 and there is a free shipping and an additional 10% off available. So $27 shipped is a pretty good price...

I'm leaning towards the metro because I don't like the bulkiness of the waist belt, but I'm not sure if it is worth the $13 more to have a slightly less bulky bag :-)

tina-t
06-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Thank you for the great review and pics.

Does anyone know if the 10% off and free shipping is still available at sierra trading post?

robmab719
06-04-2004, 03:12 PM
The 10% off expired May 26th. I believe the free shipping is still available though.

myllam
06-04-2004, 03:22 PM
There is a new 10% off code - 24844 (I have not tried it, so I'm not sure if it works).

I get the latest codes and riddle solutions from fatwallet.com

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=243140

Gayletmomto4
06-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Monica,
Thanks for the pics and the reviews. I got the Shortcut in red from REI as well and am planning on using it when we are out for brief periods with ds and when we hike with him in the Kelty. I have been wondering about the size of the Metro. It looks like they would hold about the same amount, would you say that is accurate?

TIA
Gayle

Momof3Labs
06-05-2004, 10:18 PM
I got a Shortcut from STP and am returning it because the waist straps are so bulky (and so is that padded back). But the waist straps also reduce the interior space by a fair amount when they are zipped in their pocket, so the bag holds less. It is just too small to hold much unless you are using the waist strap.

myllam
06-06-2004, 02:35 AM
After playing with the bags some more, I would agree with Lori.

This is what I put in them:

2 size 4 pampers
1 ziploc bag of wipes
1 huggies disposable changing pad
1 cloth diaper
1 baby hand towel
1 pack of travel tissue
baggies for disposing dirty diapers
small pack of crayons
small wallet
cell phone
pager
lipstick, etc.
1 16 ounce bottle of water

In the metro, the space was still functional and I could have thrown a few more small items in. In the shortcut, it seemed filled and it was hard to get things out since the opening was smaller.

HTH,

Monica