PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for a diaper bag that can hang off of an unbrella stroller

amp
06-07-2004, 12:45 PM
I try very hard not to spend much time in this forum in a concerted effort to save my wallet! However, I am in need of your expertise and searching the archives when I don't know what I want is a daunting process.

We just bought an $20 Kolcraft umbrella stroller to help us out when we are traveling, so we don't have to haul our big stroller. Unfortunately, the Eddie Bauer bag I have is just not working with it. The stroller has no basket, so the bag has to hang off of the handles of the stroller and my bag is too chubby/bulky to do so without making the stroller too topheavy and also getting in the way of our feet when we walk.

So here's what I need the diaper bag to do....

1 - Hang over the stroller handles (2 separate handles rather than a bar) without being too bulky, topheavy, etc)

2 - Be large enough to fit 2 dipes, wipes container, bottle of water, bottle (for now), 2-3 snack containers, cup, my wallet, keys, wet ones pkg, various lotion and medicine bottles, keys, cell phone, and a couple of books or toys.

3 - Be affordable. For me that means preferably $50 or under. If that's not possible, I would consider spending a bit more, but cannot really consider those bags that are close to $100.

I have considered the Skip Hop that attaches to strollers/carts. Is it too heavy when full to work in this capacity? Does the fact that it doesn't close at the top main compartment bug you? I've never seen one IRL, so it's pretty hard for me to judge.

Any suggestions? TIA!

robmab719
06-07-2004, 01:03 PM
I think the Skip Hop would work well for you, though it might be a tight fit with all that stuff in it. It's a really skinny bag in terms of depth, but it's also tall, so you can stack things in it. I believe the main compartment velcros shut at the top (though if it's stuffed, the velcro won't do you any good. I never had any problem with anything falling out of it. (Keep in mind that there are two zipper compartments for diapers and wipes, too, so that helps with organization.)

There are some other stroller bags out there, too, but the Skip Hop is the only one I've ever owned. I think some of the other options may be a little larger to hold more, but not sure if they'd end up being too heavy for your stroller at that point.

I'm not the best person to ask because I actually use my Mothership as a stroller bag now because I love the size and organization so much. What I've learned is to keep the bag strap(s) as low on the handles as I can without the bag dragging the ground. That keeps the stroller from being too tippy.

amp
06-07-2004, 01:10 PM
>"I think the Skip Hop would work well for you, though it might
>be a tight fit with all that stuff in it. It's a really skinny
>bag in terms of depth, but it's also tall, so you can stack
>things in it."

Yes, the skinny/tallness of the bag concerns me since I'm not used to that at all. And since I've never seen one, I don't know how my stuff would fit in there yet. Thanks for the input!

bluej
06-07-2004, 01:18 PM
If you don't think the Skip Hop will work for you, you may want to try one of Kim's bags (whimsical wears). She customizes the length of the straps and has many different bag sizes. I have a 3 peas in the pod and I know I can put the straps over the handles on any of my strollers. The downside is that it doesn't close completely at the top and I think that was your concern about the Skip Hop.

Chelsey333
06-07-2004, 02:06 PM
The Skip Hop does close, but it is by velcro. The middle compartment is so narrow that when you have the 2 zippered compartments full - the middle section gets completely closed off. I think you would be able to fit all of the stuff you want in it. Not sure what you consider heavy. I don't own an umbrella stroller, so I am not sure if the stroller would tip when stroller is empty and bag is attached. I don't find the bag heavy though. I really like the way that bag is organized. I sometimes find it hard to get down into the middle compartment bec I have so much stuff in the zippered pockets. Some people don't like that you have to take off the shoulder strap to attach the bag to strollers, but this does not bother me.

egoldber
06-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I hang all bags off of my Mac. The thing with super light umbrella strollers is that if your child is not IN the stroller, the stroller will tip with anything on the handles. The only bag this is not true for me with is my LE Little Tripper, IF I have not packed it super heavy and IF I have pushed the strap as far as it will go down the handles of the stroller (so that the weight is lower).

HTH,

amp
06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
That is what we did with the EB bag I have, but then we ended up kicking the bag. It just didn't work well. The LE Little Tripper (newer version) is also a bag I'm considering, but don't know if that's any better than the one I'm already using in this scenario. I figure just about any bag will tip the stroller since it's so light, but mine was just too bulky/chubby for this. I don't mind that most of the time, but I think a narrower bag might work better. Just not sure which one.

DeborahM
06-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I don't have a bag recommendation, but there are hooks you can get at Babies R Us (and, I'm sure other stores) that are red & yellow and made to clip on stroller handles. I've used them on my Mac Quest and babytrend strollers. I think a package of 2 are less than $5. Unfortunately they don't have it listed on their website, so I can't paste a link for you. Anyhow, these might help you hang a bag off the handles.

Deborah
Mom to Thomas and soon-to-arrive baby girl

pamela mom of 3
06-07-2004, 07:17 PM
A member on my board posted about them awhile ago, they are from the picture design for the more mainstream umbrella...

Here is a link to the thread ;)

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppstrollers&msg=19401.1&ctx=4096

-good luck!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

DeborahM
06-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Had some time while DS is napping (for once!) and found a link to the hooks I mentioned. I have used these to hang bags off the handles - for totes with a long strap I use both hooks (on each side) so the bag hangs in the middle.

http://www.arunningstroller.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ARS&Product_Code=swivel-hooks&Category_Code=Str-Accs

Deborah
Mom to Thomas and soon-to-arrive baby girl