PDA

View Full Version : Kate Spade and Petunia Picklebottom Bags- Would you recommend?

ShaniB123
06-11-2004, 06:48 PM
I am considering either a Kate Spade or Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag for my first, who is due in October. I'm not sure yet which Kate Spade I like best- any recommendations?

Also, for any of you who own a Kate Spade or Petunia Picklebottom, what do you like/dislike about them?

Thank you

Chelsey333
06-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I loved my medium Kate Spade bag and used it exclusively for 2 years - until I stumbled upon this board. I loved the look of my bag and the 2 outside pockets for sippy cups or bottles. The size of the bag was pretty good for a medium bag. Loved that the bag wiped clean. The shoulder straps never fell off my shoulder. The only things I didn't like was that my particular KS bag had no interior organization. It only had one zippered compartment and a small spot for a cell phone (which wasn't a convenient location, bec I would still have to search the bag for where the little pocket was). Interior organization is really a must for a newborn and instead I had to search for anything I was looking for. The other thing I didn't like about it, is after 2 years of use the bag is sloppier looking. The sides have collapsed, probably from overstuffing it and the bag falls over when empty bec it's shape is a little deformed now.

lmariana
06-11-2004, 09:00 PM
I too considered the Kate Spade baby bags! I checked them out and played with them a lot in Nordstrom's, but in the end decided against them. My reasons were the black lining (black-hole effect), the overall weight of the empty bags, delicate exterior fabrics, and large sizes. Overall, I just didn't feel like I would be getting what I wanted, you know?

I had a Kate Spade Sam pre-baby that I LOVED. I used it all the time for everything, and it's still in wonderful condition. So KS was my first choice in baby bags, but it just wasn't for me. Many people on here have one and love it though, so I'm sure you'll get tons of different opinions!

I haven't seen a Petunia Picklebottom bag in real life, but they sure are cute! I like that they can be worn both messenger style and as a backpack. However, I don't think I would ever use the built in changing pad. I think the delicate exterior fabric might also scare me away as well, but overall it's a cool bag, and I've been wanting to try one out. :) I love the Hamptons print. :)

Since you're at the beginning of your diaper bag search, here are some other high-end brands you may want to look at: www.fleurville.com, loomlife.com, talenereilly.com, and bumblebags.com, to name a few.

Good luck!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

robmab719
06-11-2004, 09:46 PM
I bought the Kate Spade medium baby bag and ended up returning it for many of the same reasons others have listed. Black lining made things really hard to find. Not a lot of pockets on the inside, so I was always "digging." And, by the time I got all my stuff in it, it was just a really heavy bag. With that said, it is probably the classiest looking diaper bag I ever owned (and I've owned my share!) and the microfiber outside seemed very easy to clean. (Though I didn't keep it long enough to get it dirty.)

I've looked at the PP bags several times and have come close to buying one. The major issues that have kept me from taking it home are:
1) the size (it's REALLY big, we're talking "suitcase big" if you haven't seen it IRL)
2) the attached changing pad (seems totally non-functional to me)
3) the exterior fabric (it's absolutely gorgeous, but I'd probably have that fabric snagged and stained in the first two weeks)

Have you looked at the Talene Reilly bags? They're in stock at www.babyoliverboutique.com right now. A lot like Kate Spade, but much more functional in terms of pockets, etc. Also, a lot of us really love our Fleurville bags. I pretty much carry my Mothership exclusively these days.

jk3
06-12-2004, 12:38 AM
I love my PP boxy backpack-the most beautiful bag out there! I feel stylish no matter what I'm wearing + it's practical too. I love the built in changing pad. My DS hates to stay still for diaper changes but he is more cooperative wile on the built in pad-a godsend. I also have the Fleurville Mothership but the PP is my everyday bag + I absolutely love it. =)
Jenn
DS 6/3/03

JenCA
06-12-2004, 01:02 AM
I have both a Kate Spade diaper bag, and a Petunia Picklebottom toddler tote.

Here's a bag that's similar to the Kate Spade I have. Mine is a black canvas bag w/bright green trim (the "Contents" bag from last spring). What I DON'T like about this bag is that is has a tie closure rather than a zipper. On more than one occasion, I've bent over to pick something up, and much of the contents of the bag have fallen out. It's also quite heavy even when it's not loaded down. But, it's a very functional, cute bag that's perfect for all-day trips. The changing pad (included with the bag)is big and comfy and lined with waterproof material.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7584.jpg

Here's the PP toddler tote--I ADORE this bag! It's perfect for quick trips. I can fit all of DD's stuff as well as my wallet, cell phone, and makeup bag. The only bummer is the changing pad that came with the bag--it's teeny tiny; certainly not big enough for my 30" tall girl! Other than that, I have no complaints, and I get TONS of compliments on this bag when I use it.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7585.jpg

HTH!

Edited to fix a couple of typos...

Chelsey333
06-12-2004, 08:36 AM
I forgot to mention that my KS bag was very heavy also, even when empty. It didn't bother me much until I found out how much lighter other bags were. My KS bag came with an awesome changing pad too, it is really large and be cleaned easily. But it was so large, that it might have been one of the reasons the bag was so heavy. That being said, I would love to have another KS bag, if I found one that was light and had a lot of interior pockets.

AvasMama
06-12-2004, 03:12 PM
I second the recommendation for Talene Reilly bags. I, too, had my heart set on a Kate Spade bag, bought the med. baby bag and ended up returning it. As several others have said, it was heavy and it was difficult to find anything.

I got the Talene Reilly bag in Soda Shop along with a matching clutch (from www.talenereilly.com) to use for work and I love them. The waterproof interior is bright and fun and perfect for transporting milk and pump parts every day. I have also used the bag as an actual diaper bag on occasion and it is a really nice size. The changing pad is waterproof, soft and pretty large.

I am now looking to buy a WW bag for my everyday diaper bag. Just waiting on a response from Kim to some questions about sizes and fabrics. Have you looked at those at all? They are really beautiful and the choice of fabrics means you can get one that perfectly fits your style.

Good luck!

Robyn & Ava

khakismom
06-12-2004, 06:43 PM
I have a Kate Spade dipe bag that my DH purchased for me 3 years ago for Mother's Day and it's wonderful. The one I have is in the Park Stripe pattern with no pockets on the outside, but 6 pockets on the inside (2 on the inside sides). So if you looked at it, it doesn't even look like a dipe bag. In fact, I've used this bag as a purse inbetween babies.

It's definitely a smallish/medium-sized dipe bag. I don't think I could've fit stuff for both kids in there. Other than the size, I love this bag. I didn't find it too heavy either.

There are lots of KS dipe bags out there. You might check out Nordstrom's or Saks to see their selection since they usually have a lot. GL!

http://store.nordstrom.com/category/cat_medium.asp?category=2379292~2379293~2382242&origin=leftnav

JustMare
06-15-2004, 06:41 PM
I looked at every KS bag at the time, and couldn't find one that would really accommodate all DS's stuff without weighting the bag down. I've seen a few Moms with the "Jack Spade Dad's Field Diaper Bag" which is a really nice bag. Has everything the KS baby bag lacks. It's on the medium to small side. Good for one toddler. Why Kate makes a nicer bag for dads is beyond me? I plan on getting one of these when DS is older and I'm ready to downsize from my Nordstrom Diaper Tote.

http://www.jackspade.com/greenest/messenger06/index.html

I had a PP bag and HATED it!! I used it for two weeks and had to return it. It just annoyed me. The opening was not wide enough to see everything in the bag, it was very heavy when filled and was quite bulky too.

Good luck. The search NEVER ends!

teddy
06-15-2004, 07:21 PM
This is the Kate Spade bag that I am currently using:
http://www.katespade.com/home/index.php?display=271078528875

I think it's fairly new. At least the Chicago store didn't carry it until near Mother's Day.

What I like about it is that it's a perfect size for everyday - for a toddler. I have no experience using it with an infant. It has 4 bottle pockets (2 inside, 2 outside). It has 2 zippered pockets (one on each side inside). It has a divider inside. It has a neat magnetic pocket on the front outside that has a small cell phone pocket within it and a keychain holder. I can hold an extra outfit, changing pad, wipes, snacks, makeup bag, wallet, small toys, keys, phone, sippy cup and a small book -- all hands free! The straps are comfy and don't slip.

It gets kind of heavy but the bag still holds its shape well. It came with a really big and puffy changing pad that I don't use (took up too much space in the bag even though it rolls and fits into one of the interior bottle pockets). It does have the black interior but it's not too big a bag so I can find everything easily.

I wish they had put some tiny metal feet on the bottom of the bag because the bottom is starting to get dirty from setting it down all the time. But overall, I love this bag.

FWIW, I had been using the Land's End small canvas tote (loved it) and an I'm Still Me large size (bad organization) before the KS. Had an early Coach diaper bag (too heavy when empty) and a Nine West messenger (too big but functional) when DD was an infant. Reading these boards exposed me to all the other wonderful kinds of bags out there!!!! Have fun looking. You'll definitely end up with more than one bag....

edited for typos :(

DeborahM
06-16-2004, 08:27 AM
I lusted after the Kate Spade bags in the store - and still love the looks of them. However, the ones I liked cost more than my strollers and I couldn't see paying that much for a bag that would end up with crumbled cookies, leaky juice cups, etc. all in the bottom.

Deborah
Mom to Thomas and soon-to-arrive baby girl
...27 days and counting :)

gatorsmom
06-16-2004, 01:27 PM
I haven't tuned in for a long time but had to respond to this since I've owned a PP for a year now. I looked around alot for a diaper bag that I liked before I had my first child and I chose a PP boxy backpack. I take it EVERYWHERE. Here are some thoughts:

+The backpack option (it also has a shoulderstrap) is very, very convenient. It's comfortable to wear and never slips off. I have two hands free and that's invaluable.

+No matter what outfit I'm wearing, it dresses it up. I get compliments ALL THE TIME. Even after a year of constant use, this thing is still a head turner. That's fun.

+I worried about the outside fabric being too delicate and staining easily so when I first received it (I ordered mine over the internet) I scotch-guarded it really well. 11 months later I still haven't had to spot clean the outside and the outside has never snagged yet. It's more durable than it looks.

+I fit tons of crap in this bag. I use the outside pockets for bottle of hand cleaner, cell phone, pen and keys. On the inside I have room for full change of clothes, diapers, wipes, tiny cooler pack with extra bottle, food, spoon, and bib, my checkbook/wallet and a makeup bag.

-I agree that the changing pad connected to the front is a pain. Its too small and doesn't zip off. But at least it's out of the way and makes room for more stuff on the inside.

-First major complaint- after a year of constant use the stitching on one of the pockets on the side is coming loose. I use that pocket alot- it's where the cell phone goes. But still, now I'll have to stitch it up or maybe buy a new PP!!!

cchavez
06-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Maybe you could get a Kate Spade and then a Kecci Shanghai Mommy bag....same look/concept at PP but about half the price????

emmiem
06-16-2004, 03:26 PM
I have the Kate Spade Messenger, tote, and backpack. I love all three depending on the stage your baby is in and the age. I love my PP toddler Tote. I have had two of them for over one year and they look brand new. I throw them on the ground everywhere! I also have a Bumble messenger bag that I haven't used yet. It is waiting for DD#3. I checked out the Talene Reilly bags and love them. But $248?!! That is probably the most expensive one that I have seen other than the Prada and YSL diaper bags.
Michele

gatorsmom
06-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I don't know....I really like the look of the Kate Spade bags but they don't seem big enough for all my stuff. And I've never heard of the Kecci bag (I haven't been reading this message board for quite a while). But I absolutely want a backpack, it's got to be comfortable, and I've been spoiled with the "chicness" of the PP. Besides, my PP only cost $150. Most of the Kate Spades I saw were $100+.

tangerinetots
06-23-2004, 12:25 AM
I used a Petunia Pickle Bottom bag for over a year. Loved the print...hated everything else about it! The velcro closure NEVER stayed closed; the velcro caught on all my clothes and snagged them; the changing pad was pretty useless in most situations and once my son got a little bigger; the fabric snagged often. I now have a Bumble Bag that I've been using for a year and absolutely love! It's got tons of pockets; doesn't look or feel like a diaper bag; holds lots of stuff and stays closed with the magnetic closure and is comfortable to wear as a backpack or a messenger bag. Since I'm petite, bags like the Kate Spade and Fleurville are too cumbersome and heavy for me.

ShaniB123
06-23-2004, 02:21 PM
I'm petite as well and worry about a bag being too big for me, but still big enough for all the baby stuff I need. Thanks for your input.
First due in CA in October