PDA

View Full Version : What's a good diaper bag for an infant and a toddler?

KarenLB
06-16-2004, 02:58 PM
I have a six month old and a 2 1/2 year old and we all know all of the things that we have to schlep with us...plus stuff for mommy. Please help!! I have no idea what to get...when I think I do, it just doesn't work out. I was thinking of a tote with at least two interior pockets for each of their things plus outside bottle holders and, am I asking for too much, front outside pockets? If I was really handy, I'd make one myself!!

Thank you for all suggestions!!!

Karen:-)

icunurse
06-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure if you're looking for fashion or function, but I love my Land's End Diaper Backpack. It has nice padded shoulders, a pocket on the back (would be by your back) for the included changing pad, outside bottle/toy holder, insulated bottle holder for the inside, huge typical-backpack-like inner pocket, a separate outer zippered area for soiled clothes (comes with a zippered removable pouch), another zippered outside pocket for smaller things or your stuff, and a matching removable case that zippers to carry extras (I have hand wipes, samples of diaper cream, etc in mine). It has a couple other compartments and other things, but I think you get the idea. LOTS of room. (And DH isn't embarrassed to carry it :)
Traci
~Connor's Mom~

KarenLB
06-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Traci-

Thanks...I have it! I loved it when I just had my older child but, I find myself digging for everything and not able to find things because since I'm carrying diapers for two, the bottom gets pushed up into the other parts. It is a good bag and very comfortable on the shoulders, but it's just not working for me anymore. Also, when I spend a full day out, it can only hold two bottles and, in the end, I find there's no space left for anything for me.

Karen

khakismom
06-16-2004, 03:43 PM
My favorite for when Ellen was an infant--and still is a favorite--is the Fleurville Mothership. This thing holds a ton. It's got great compartments and pockets on the inside and 3 pockets on the outside, 1 that closes with velcro at each end, and an open one in the back. I pack quite a bit and this bag is perfect for hauling around stuff for 2 kids, esp. an infant. GL!

robmab719
06-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Ditto to the Fleurville Mothership. I can't say enough good things about this bag. I pack a ton of stuff and I have YET to stuff this bag full. But somehow, no matter how much I cram in there, it doesn't get heavy.

Chelsey333
06-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi, I have a one month old and a 2 year old. I keep a small bag in the car with extras so that I don't need too much in my diaper bag. That being said, I love my Skip Hop for short trips. I can always find everything I need and it is very functional when running errands. There are multiple pockets outside and inside. I wear it messenger style so that I can be hands free. Some people don't like that you have to switch the strap to attach it to the stroller, but the organization and functionality of the bag make this inconvenience worth it for me. I also like the Mothership for longer trips out. I can fit a lot in it and it doesn't get dirty if I put it on the ground. This bag also has great organization inside. I can wear it messenger style, but it looks and feels kind of weird bec the strap is so short and I am 5'8". I also like the Loom, but don't carry that one as much bec it feels to boxy messenger style, but it is still a great bag.

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
06-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi Kare,
I have a 2 1/2 year old and almost 10 month old. My favorites right now are the Mothership and Loom Marsupial. I love the organization of the Loom and the exterior botle/cup pockets are great. I usually always have 2 sippy cups with me. I have the Watermelon clutch - I put all my Mommy stuff in there and just transfer it from bag to purse, etc. So glad I have it! The Mothership is wonderful because the size, it holds alot of stuff and I never really feel like I am digging for things. I don't like the outside pockets for cups. I usually end up putting them inside, which isn't quite as good as the Loom. If you like to haul alot of stuff I'd say go with the Mothership. I find myself carrying it quite often because I can carry pretty much whatever I want with no worries. If the Mothership had 3 pockets on the ouside (2 for cups/bottles and 1 for a cell phone) then it might be close to perfect.

HTH

candybomiller
06-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Have you thought about custom ordering a bag? I would look at www.whimsicalwears.com and email Kim about designing a bag that would work for you. I've heard she's wonderful to work with. I think that everyone here has been very happy with their bags.

JLiebCamm
06-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Kim recommended the "Elizabeth" bag to me for 2 young kids. I haven't received it yet to tell you if it seems to be the best size. Kim does work with you, asking what your needs in a diaper bag are.

cimberdog
06-17-2004, 04:01 PM
I'd have to say the Fleurville Mothership. I LOVE mine! It is so organized and lightweight.

My coworker, who at one time couldn't justify more than $30 on a diaper bag, just bought herself a Mothership after seeing mine. We both have 18 month old boys and are expecting babies again in Jan & Feb, so we feel it's a great bag for one, and even better for two!

KarenLB
06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
After all of these great responses, [thank you so much to everyone!!!], I may just end up with a Mothership. Now, for a new question, where is the best place to purchase one?

lmariana
06-17-2004, 11:16 PM
I believe www.rattleroll.com has a few fabrics (white, chestnut, and orange) on sale, but otherwise the $150 price tag is pretty universal. For the fastest delivery, I'd go with www.kidsnstyle.com. They are located close to Fleurville and can get anything in stock quickly. They also ship right away and have great customer service. Free shipping on orders over $100.

You'll LOVE the Mothership. It seems really big at first, but once you pack it up, you will be in heaven. :)

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

KarenLB
06-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Thank you so much for your help! You are truly a diaper bag maven!!:-)

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-18-2004, 02:00 AM
http://www.2littlemonkeys.com/shop/browse.asp?cat=739&path=500,739

They have the tropical leaf mothership on sale for $89.
I just bought one a few days ago (after waiting over a month for one to arrive from ebay) so I cant vouch for their CS...hopefully its good!

cimberdog
06-18-2004, 11:57 AM
I got all my stuff from KidsNStyle.com and Joanne was terrific. The purple swirl that I got was backordered for a couple of weeks and she kept me updated via e-mail every few days. She's terrific with customer service and the bags ship out right away (unless they are backordered).

I hope you love the Mothership!

I am half tempted to buy one in white....DH will seriously question my mental capacity if I buy another one.

Truska
06-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Just in case anyone is interested...I emailed them about shipping to Canada (which they do), but they only had one of the Tropical Leaf, and it sold.

>http://www.2littlemonkeys.com/shop/browse.asp?cat=739&path=500,739
>
>They have the tropical leaf mothership on sale for $89.
>I just bought one a few days ago (after waiting over a month
>for one to arrive from ebay) so I cant vouch for their
>CS...hopefully its good!
>

KarenLB
06-24-2004, 04:50 PM
I saw it in person at a store near me and I loved it! So, I ordered it the other day from KidsNStyle.com. Joanne told me that the pink stripe is on back order but she'll keep emailing me until it ships. You were right, she is terrific with customer service.
Thanks!