PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 7 + Mothership

jk3
06-23-2004, 01:04 PM
For those of you who own both perhaps you can share some opinions on the two bags. First of all, why do you have both bags? Do they serve different purposes? If so, when do you use each bag? Finally, which do you prefer?

In light of the Coop, I'm curious about finding out more about these bags. I own the Mothership + love this bag so I would like to figure out if I "need" the Alpha 7...Thanks!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

lmariana
06-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Hello! I have a white Mothership and a Blue Chocolate Alpha 7. I do think they serve different purposes, kinda like having an SUV and a Sedan.

The Mothership will fit absolutely everything, is fluid-proof, and is still stlyish and fun enough to carry every day, whether you pack it full or not. The strap is not adjustable, and although it can be worn messenger style on some people, many find it just hits too high.

The Alpha 7 is smaller, but not small by any means. It still has wonderful organization, insulated bottle holder and that cute Fleurville look. It also adds an adjustable messenger strap, more exterior pockets, backpack conversion, and a velcro closure. You lose the vinyl layer, padded changing pad, and enormous capacity.

Basically, it's a matter of how much you normally carry and how much you want to be able to carry. I like the Mothership better for day-long outings and overnight trips. The Alpha 7 is my choice for shorter outings are a walk around the mall.

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Mother of Gabe 8/14/03

jk3
06-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Definitely-Thanks! We can always count on you for detailed responses. I have the white Mothership + I, too, love this bag for long outings or trips to the pool. Luckily I can wear mine over the shoulder + messenger style. I find it to be too big for my everyday bag. I use a PP backpack for that but now I need to decide if I want an Alpha 7. My DH might freak out because I recently purchased the Escape Pod + the Wrist bag so I'm only going to spring for one if it's absolutely necessary, whatever that means!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

ginamlee
06-23-2004, 10:22 PM
I was thinking fo the Alpha 7 for an all day or overnight bag. Is it too small for that? It seems larger than my other bags.

I think it would be convenient to use during air travel because I could put it on my back if I was hauling a lot of other stuff. For everyday, I am totally NOT a backpack person. I like totes because I like to be able to reach in whenever I want. But, for a travel situation, I think it would be ideal. BUT, not if it is too small!

I don't really like the look of the Mothership, but I do like the look of the Alpha 7. Thoughts? Will I be disappointed with the size? Is it about the size of a Lands End Do It All?

ginamlee
07-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Does anyone have any comments they could add to my post? Thanks!

priscilla73
07-15-2004, 12:58 AM
I just recently purchased both the Alpha 7 and the Mothership. I do not like huge bags and I was nervous while I was waiting for the Mothership to arrive. (I bought the sale one at Right Start) I have never seen either IRL before purchasing them online.

I love them both equally. The Alpha 7 will be my everyday bag and the Mothership will be my bag for times when I need to pack a little more than usual. It will be especially helpful in the winter when the kids will have extra little sweaters, etc. Or on outings when there's meals involved. It will also make a nice pool bag. I get paranoid that the splashing of clourine water will ruin my strollers and bags. Now I won't have to worry.

I thought that the Mothership would be so huge it would look ridiculous. It is not. It's so cute. I love it. And they are different looking that I don't feel like it's redundant to have both. I'm so glad to have both.

Just so you know, I HATE large bags. And I tend to pack light. I can see now after having them what all the fuss is. They're Great!

HTH
Priscilla

Chelsey333
07-15-2004, 08:28 AM
I don't have the Alpha 7, but I think the Loom is similar in size from what I hear. I would have a hard time fitting all my stuff in the Loom for an overnight, but the Mothership would be perfect. For some reason, I think I remember reading that you are a light packer. If that is true, the Alpha 7 might be perfect for you. I would take the Mothership for overnight trips and have it stuffed pretty tightly. But I am an overpacker for sure.

ginamlee
07-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Thank you for the replies,ladies.

It sounds like the Alpha 7 is not the travel bag that I am looking for. I'd love to have something in the Mothership size that would work as a messenger and backpack, however. I'm not sure that it exists.

I'm debating between getting a Timbuk 2 or a Mothership for my travel bag. My only reservation with the Timbuk 2 is that I like more organization than it offers, so I might have to go with the Mothership.

They both have the durability and size that I am after. Hmmm.

Chelsey333
07-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I think the Mothership might be the kind of bag that grows on you. I remember thinking it was really ugly when I first saw it and couldn't understand everyone loving it. The more I saw it, the more I liked it and you can't beat the inside organization.