PDA

View Full Version : Kecci Shangai versus Petunia Picklebottom

tobycat
06-25-2004, 04:18 PM
If anyone has seen both bags IRL could you please enlighten me on the differences? I have seen the Petunia Picklebottom back IRL and thought it was well constructed (with nice inside pockets and dividers), but cannot see paying that much for a diaper bag. Unfortunately no stores near me carry the Kecci bag.

Thanks,
Candice

icunurse
06-25-2004, 04:59 PM
I've been interested in both, but haven't seen either IRL yet. However, just a fun fact......PP is dry clean only while Kecci is machine washable.

supercalifragilous
06-25-2004, 05:48 PM
When the Kecci bags were first mentioned (maybe 1-1.5 months ago), someone spotted them at the Nordstrom Rack and posted some pictures including some of the inside of the bag. Have you tried doing a search for Kecci?

I have a PPB backpack but I like that the Kecci ones are lined with vinyl (right?) so it's waterproof. I've had a sippy cup spill out in my PPB and it soaked through! Good thing it was water!

Another thing I know is that the Kecci backpack straps tuck into the back of the bag in a zippered compartment, somewhat like the Alpha 7.

I don't know if the changing pad is attached to the bag like the PPB one or not - I don't use it anyway (too small & yuck!)...

I thought I remember someone saying the Kecci bag is a little floppy - the PPBs too become floppy after you dry-clean it. It seems like the PPB interfacing is a paperlike material (thinner than cardboard) which gives it great structure brand new but it disintegrates after you dry-clean it. It then becomes a regular fabric bag. At least with the Kecci you can dry clean it.

I've also noticed the PPB fabric tends to snag easily. It makes me think the fabric is really delicate or a high-silk blend since it's dry-cleanable whereas the Kecci is machine washable.

It's going to be harder to compare since PPB is redesigning their bags and I don't know what they'll be changing...

masetane
06-25-2004, 10:38 PM
I've seen Kecci at Buy Buy Baby. I thought they were more practical than the PPB and certainly price wise. I would go with that. MY friend has a PPB and it stayed nice for not too long due to above mentioned things - spills soaking through and fabric snagging to a mess! It was very pretty but 10 months later it looked run down already.
caroline

zen_bliss
06-26-2004, 04:25 AM
i had a PP and immediately sold it. i have a kecci and it is my main bag. i wish i'd had it from day one. i love it so much i have forsaken all others and have stopped bag shopping (gasp!)

quick comparisons:

the kecci changing pad is separate; the PP pad is connected, one of the things i didn't like and would be annoying now that i don't use one at all.
PP has thin metal hardware for the strap clips; kecchi is thick sturdy plastic.
kecchi straps are coordinating brocade fabric, the PP are black nylon.
the PP did snag way too easily for my taste. the kecchi is snagging a little after a few weeks of hard daily use :) but not like the PP which arrived brand new snagged! ugh.
the kecchi lining is water resistant and easy to wipe clean. it does have that pvc smell as noted in an earlier post, but pulling the inside out and hanging it in the sun for a day lets it 'out-gas' and it does dissipate quickly if you do this. i have a super sensitive sniffer (seriously, i can't even stand next to someone whose clothes smell of Tide without getting queasy) and i don't notice the smell at all anymore.
they are both floppy when empty, the PP has slightly more support because of the attached changing pad.
i don't recall the pockets on the PP but they should be easy to check out IRL since they are so popular. the kecchi has two elasticized outer bottle size pockets. the back has a large zippered area the entire back wall of the bag where you can tuck the straps, i keep stuff i need handy there. there are 6 flat pockets along the inside. my one criticism is i wish they were slightly bigger with a 'pouch' so i could put a wipes package or wallet in them.

a big difference that was pointed out to me and may matter to you is PP is made in the USA and kecci is made in china.

i do think the kecci is well worth the jaw-dropping $37 + free shipping price offered by the co-op. if you can't wait the 3 weeks, and are willing to pay shipping (about $9), call some nordstrom rack stores or the 800 number http://about.nordstrom.com/ourstores/ to see if they have any in stock. the ones i called were very accommodating about looking on the floor to see what they had, and shipped immediately. it was $37 plus tax & shipping.

HTH

candybomiller
06-26-2004, 02:49 PM
I'll be the lone dissenter here and say that I would not choose a kecci bag over the petunia pickle bottom.

You get what you pay for, imo.

cchavez
06-26-2004, 03:35 PM
I have been very pleased with my Kecci. A friend has a PP and it looks very worn after a few months use. The kecci fabric is probably not that fragile.

I did have a slight problem with the zipper on my kecci and the CS guy sent me another bag free of charge!!! That is sooo cool!

Yes, you get what you pay for and so far I am pleased with my 37.00 bag. :)

I believe that many times with bags, we pay for the name. I would never carry a look alike kate spade or coach handbag but I am ok with carrying a "no-name" diaper bag.....so it just depends on what you really want with a diaper bag.

I have a few LE bags, an ella and a nicole miller and so far the kecci has probably been my favorite. I still don't think it is perfect but I like it. My Nicole Miller was my most expensive bag (paid just over 100.00) and I feel I got soooo burned. I initially wanted a Kate Spade but read they are not functional so I got the NM instead. I still "yearn" for a true "designer bag" but to be honest they really don't fit my lifestyle. I think when baby #2 comes along I will add a Timbuk or Fluerville to my collection but that may not happen for awhile.

good luck deciding

oh, and the kecci bags are 57.00 on their site...not too bad

toomanystrollers
06-26-2004, 06:31 PM
I don't have a PPR - but quite a few other "notable" bags LOL and my Kecci is a very well constructed bag - love it and I can't believe the co-op price!!! You can get about 4 Kecci's for the price of one PPR. I've already machine washed (gentle) it once - still looks fabulous.

HTH

peasprout
06-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Where can I find this Kecci co-op for $37? I'd love to order one! Thanks!
JP- mommy to Ally & Zach
(11/02 & 4/04)

lmariana
06-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi JP, it's another thread in this same message board. Let me know if you need the link!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

JNA
11-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Hi,

I am on the hunt for a messenger/backpack diaper bag that is large enough to accomodate carrying around "stuff" for 2 kids! I found the PPB and thought it was perfect (except for the price and questionable durability...although I would spend it if it was the perfect bag). Is the Kecci bag the same size? It looks like it might be a little smaller on the inside?? Does anyone have both of them who can compare the sizes? I think the Fleurville Alpha 7 is a bit too small...other than the PPB, Fleurville Alpha 7 and Kecci, the only other messenger/backpack I know about is the BumbleBag, which I will look at this week....if you know of any other choices for large, messenger/backpack diaper bags, please share:-)

Lastly, can someone email me the link for the co-op, so if I decide on the Kecci, I can get that great price?

Thank you!!!
Jill
[email protected] (the best way to contact me!!)