PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for large bag for vacation

rinnerin
06-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Hello all! I'm new to diaper bags, but have a severe purse addiction, so this board is dangerous ;). This is my first post and I need your experienced opinions. I will be going on a 2 week vacation by plane to visit grandparents in July, when my DS is 8 weeks old. I would like a diaper bag big enough to work as my carry on/purse too, but not so large that it is unmanageable with a car seat, stroller, and child. I currently have a skip-hop, (which I really like) but think it's too small to work. I am thinking the loom marsupial might work, and am also thinking about the mothership. However, I really don't dig the vinyl cover on the mothership. I like the bandicoot, but I'm not sure that it can be worn messenger style. Finally, I have always liked the Timbuk2s (even before mommyhood), but I'm worried that the lack of internal pockets will make it hard to organize, also I have a few bags that look like the T2s already, and would like something less sporty looking.
So many choices!!!! Any advice or guidance from you wise women would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Erin

Mom to Liam 5/31/04
Dog mom to Keeva, a very prissy rottieu

mlewis
06-28-2004, 05:06 PM
I don't have first hand experience yet, but I ordered a WW Elizabeth bag specifically for the purpose of using it as my carryon/diaper bag/purse on our vacation the end of July. I haven't received it yet so I can't say yet how it will work, but I think it will be okay. I was wanting a pretty bag that I would want to carry all day, but would still hold what I needed - my DS is almost a year old, so I don't need as much space for bottles, etc.

robmab719
06-28-2004, 05:35 PM
How about one of the Bumble Bags that are 10% off right now? It's a messenger/backpack style (similar to Fleurville Alpha 7), but no vinyl coating. They're at www.tangerinetots.com and mention the "Beyond Pink and Blue" discount when ordering for 10% off and free shipping.

The Fleurville Alpha 7 would be another good choice for you, since it doesn't have the vinyl coating and can be worn messenger style. It's also a bit smaller than the Mothership (but plenty big for one baby), and it has great organization with the front pockets for all your "mommy-gear."

Also, I've seen a lot of mommies in airports with the Petunia Pickle Bottom backpacks. They are huge...like a piece of luggage, but work both messenger and backpack style.

The Bandicoot will not be available until late July, so that's out. Also, several have said that the Loom Marsupial can't be worn messenger style (strap is too short).

rinnerin
06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I decided on a fiesta stripe Alpha 7 with a wrist bag, because I liked the outside pockets (and the stripes). This will be the first long trip with DS, so keep your fingers crossed I pack the right stuff <grin>.

Erin
Mom to Liam 5/31/04
Dog mom to Keeva, the prissy rottie