PDA

View Full Version : How big should a diaper bag be?

Jen516
06-30-2004, 12:11 AM
I have no clue! The one bag I love is huge -- 14" h x 18" w x 6" d. Many of my friends complain that they need bigger bags, but I know the bigger the bag, the heavier it gets.

What size is best for a newborn/infant bag?

Thanks!

Jen

EDD 11/5/04 with a son!

lmariana
06-30-2004, 08:25 AM
remembering back to the newborn stage, we needed a lot of space! We formula fed, so we always had to have tons of feedings/supplies with us at all times. On top of that Gabriel spit up A LOT! So we would carry 7-8 burp cloths too, which significantly added to the bulk. From my experience, a big bag would be wonderful in the beginning. But you won't always want a large bag. You will definitely want a smaller bag for quick trips and as baby gets older.

Which bag are you in love with?

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Jen516
06-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey Mariana, thanks for your feedback. It's a bag made by Henry Brown. ($175!!)

http://www.henrybrownbags.com/product.asp?cid=2

What do you think?

Jen

lmariana
06-30-2004, 11:01 AM
I've never seen one of those bags in person, but they do have a nice look to them! My only hesitation would be the fact that it's a tote style bag. When you have a bag that large, and actually pack it full, it gets rather heavy. Personally, I prefer tote styles when they're smaller and not that large. For a big bag, I need a messenger strap. I can carry it better and, it doesn't feel as heavy to me.

You may also want to consider what you'd do with this bag when you're pushing the stroller. It may not fit into your stroller basket (especially with a fully reclined seat) and you won't want to carry it (at least I wouldn't). But then again, you could always have a second, smaller bag for the stroller. :)

If you're in love with it, I say go for it, unless you can find something else you love just as much. :) If you do get it, be sure to post a review! I'm very curious about it.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

jpang
07-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Hi, Jen,

Welcome to the world of diaper bags. You will be an unusual person-- especially in these boards-- if you end up with just one. Many of us find we want one for longer trips (several hours) and one for a short jaunt (half hour trip to grocery store).

You'll also find that how much you carry in your diaper bag is somewhat a matter of personal preference. Although diapers and wipes are the absolute minimum, some moms are prepared for all sorts of weather/contingencies, and some prefer to go with the bare necessities. (Just like some women have a whole salon in their purses while others carry a wallet.)

When I pack a diaper bag, I usually carry an extra sweater, some cheerios, a bib, some extra plastic bags, etc. When DH packs the bag, there are diapers and wipes. And that's it.

I agree with PP though, that totes are best for lighter loads and messenger-style bags work for bulkier loads.