PDA

View Full Version : I saw a Kecci Shang-hai bag in person today...

boys2enough
06-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Went to Nordstrom Rack today and saw the beige one. Now I finally understand how people can use this bag as their everyday bag. It is not made of silk brocade material. It is made of upholstery fabric--think chair cusions or thick thick thick drapery. The whole bag feels very sturdy, even the black hooks are tough sturdy plastic ones. It does not look too shi-shi for me, despite the Asian chic style. (In this regard, imo, they are different from the Petunia Pickel Bottom bags: Pickles look too delicate for me to use as a diaper bag. But that's just me). I actually like the Kecci bag this way for everyday use.

The changing pad is soft and thick as well. Inside the bag, there are 2 pockets along the back, one in the middle along the front, and 2 more along the sides. None is zippered. The pockets are good sized, seem like they can take at least the wipe case and diapers. There is a lot of room in the middle.

On the outside there is an elastic pocket on each side.

The strap is long and easily adjustable: I am 5'7", and I can wear it messenger style with left-over strap to spare. It is boxy and bigger than I expected. It actually looks kind of big on me, or it may just be that I am used to my Combi Urban Sling "conforming" to the shape of my behind... lol.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

jpang
07-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi, Lin,

Thanks for posting your detailed review of this bag. It really helped me to understand what the bag is like (photos on a website just don't cut it, as far as I'm concerned.) I'm tempted by the co-op prices, but like you, I could write a whole essay on why I tend to avoid Asian fabrics. My question is, did you decide to get the bag after all?

Was the Nordstrom Rack you visited in the SF Bay Area, by any chance? That's where I am, and I'd prefer to see this IRL before spending any more money on another diaper bag.

Thanks,

boys2enough
07-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Hi, Janice,

I am in Chicago. Maybe you could call them and check? (That is, if you don't want to use this as an excuse to go shopping anyway. lol) The bags are displayed with baby items/clothing in Chicago-area stores.

I really like the bag: I like the "workhorse" aspect of it. With that price tag, I won't be paranoid about getting it dirty either. kwim? I can't use nice pretty things because I freak out. I just want to leave them in my closet while using a cheapy alternative. ;-)

So now I am obsessed with it. I haven't ordered yet b/c I can't decide on the color. I believe the bag will be great for winter b/c the long strap will be easy going over thick winter jacket. (Probably not a concern for you over there, eh? ;-) ) The problem is: I have a bright orange down jacket for winter, yup, that does not leave me with many options color-wise. My very good friend suggested getting the black one, but then warned that I may look like Lady Halloween thru the winter.

Sorry for rambling. I am probably not helping. lol

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

priscilla73
07-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Lin...Don't you think that the Chartreuse color would match your coat nicely? Too bad that one's on backorder. After your review, I've been obsessing, too. They're a great price. I'd like to have the beige, I think. But am afraid it'll get dirty fast.

Priscilla

shindagrl
07-03-2004, 04:00 AM
I'm contemplating the beige as well. Maybe if you used Scotchguard on it when you first get it it might be easier to clean???

boys2enough
07-03-2004, 03:47 PM
>Lin...Don't you think that the Chartreuse color would match
>your coat nicely?

I know, the orange border will match nicely, eh? But I am trying to find ONE color that will go with everything I wear. Not going to happen I know. But the laziness factor is looming. lol.

I will try and get a beige one from our Rack and then post close-up pics if they are still at the store.

I only wish Mariana has bought all of the colors and posted pics. lol. She writes such good reviews (with pics yay!) and I would trust her opinions. Too bad the navy blue is just not my color.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

Melanie
07-03-2004, 04:42 PM
I like the white/beige. Totally impractical, right. I think I'll stop by our Rack today...just for fun of course.

ETA - NM, they don't have any and never have. Oh well...

ETAA - I called another store and she offered to take my name and will call me before they hit the floor. Now that's customer service!

junieblee
07-03-2004, 05:18 PM
I posted a couple of pics of my new Shanghai bag in beige in this thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=9916&mesg_id=10018&page=

If you'd like, I can post some closeups - let me know what exactly you'd like to see :)

Melanie
07-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks! It's more beige than on their website...it looked creme to me.

jpang
07-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks, Lin. You've been very helpful. I'm the same way about wanting a "workhorse". Our other main diaper bag is a Timbuk2 small messenger bag, navy with a bicycling print so DH can use it, too. It's good to know this is a sturdy bag and not a delicate one.

Choosing a color might actually be the most difficult part of choosing a Kecci Shang-hai. I go back and forth between the navy, and the green one, and the chartreuse one (which is probably my favorite but is on backorder).

The black one might not look too Halloweenish (Halloweeny?) with your down jacket because of its patterning. Though I might try the beige one. Sorry, not being helpful here, either!

Thanks June for posting the photos of the bag on a stroller. That really helps me get a feel for the size.

boys2enough
07-04-2004, 12:10 AM
>I posted a couple of pics of my new Shanghai bag in beige in
>this thread:
>http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=9916&mesg_id=10018&page=
>
>If you'd like, I can post some closeups - let me know what
>exactly you'd like to see :)

Oh, thank you thank you so much! That will be a lot better than if I buy the bag and then return it to the store just to take some pics. lol. In addition, I also lost my high speed internet and am on dial-up connection now. Thank you so so much for offering!

I know that Newmommy would love to see the beige one more closely. Do you mind taking some close-up pics for her so she can see the textures? Thank you again!

btw, yes, to me the bag looks great with the stroller too. btw, nice stroller. :)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

tina-t
07-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Lin, the beige or black might work the best for you. The beige would not be too impractical since it is machine washable, right?