PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Child Bike Seat

Jen in Chicago
07-01-2004, 12:07 PM
A trailer is not an option due to the size of our storage unit. I want to get a seat that fits on a mountain bike. We received the FP one, and it won't fit onto my frame (bars to too thick, and the gear wire is in the way.)

We just need the basics for early morning rides on the bike path, and maybe a Rails to Trails ride this coming weekend.

Jharpaz
07-01-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm interested in responses as well (and digging back in archives). But our local bike shop recommends the "top of the line" according to them. It's a Topeak. It looks nice enough, but... It's got a snap on/off base so you don't always have the seat attached. And they said it has shock absorbers. I'm on a mission to research these now for myself. I've heard trailers are safer, but in NYC, I'm afraid when my husband rides in traffic that cars won't see the trailer at all. Plus I do like the baby to sit high enough to look around. And we don't really have the room either in our one bedroom apartment.

amp
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
We bought a Bell child seat from Walmart for about $60 I think. Let me just say, now that it's on the bike, it's fine, but it was a MAJOR PITA for my husband, who is downright handy (being an engineer for pete's sake) to get attached to the bike. Might be the same issue you had. We both had to fight it to get it attached. Can I just say, that bike seat is not coming off until we are sure we are done with it!

Jen in Chicago
07-01-2004, 04:19 PM
I called my trusty bike store and they sell a lot of the Blackburn (formerly Rhode Gear) Taxi's (100) and Limo's (130). Another store had the Topeaks (140).

I am going to go check them out in real life.

I know there are concerns with the cart, but I go back to the "I survived" philosophy. We had HOURS of bike rides growing up on the back of my parent's bikes.

Jen in Chicago
07-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I am going to try a bike store now b/c the FP one did not fit on my Trek bike. I do love the $60 price! DH spent hours trying to get what we have to work. I think he would go crazy if I bought something from a place other than a bike store.

bobica
07-05-2004, 08:26 PM
>I called my trusty bike store and they sell a lot of the
>Blackburn (formerly Rhode Gear) Taxi's (100) and Limo's (130).

I didn't know they changed names! We got the limo for christmas & are pretty happy with it. it's bulky but feels pretty safe. installation was a pain, i tried to do it myself LOL! dh did it pretty quickly. DD seems VERY comfy in it (gel seat!!!) and looks secure. I'm adjusting to riding with it on my small frame mountain bike. We live at the beach, so i'll probably switch to a no-gear cruiser at some point, but for now we have the mtn bikes. we haven't switched onto dh's bike yet, but it slid onto the rack VERY easily!

funny, the trailers are supposed to be safer? they make me SO nervous! i picture cars not seeing them at all! i guess it's all perception!

Monica
Mom to Siobhan- 3/03

Jen in Chicago
07-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Very happy with the purchase from a local bike store that insisted that they install it correctly.

Many hours of fun rides over the weekend.

My mountain bike now has a kick stand.

emmiem
07-06-2004, 11:07 AM
According to Toddler Bargains, the best bike seat is the Co-Pilot Limo. We bought it at a local bike shop after pricing online. Online was cheaper but our bike store gave us 10% off after we told them. Installation was a snap and our 3 yo loves it!
Michele

toomanystrollers
07-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Lets see, we three kids, our biking adventures include:
Burley d'lite trailer
& 2 Rhode Gear seats - love them.

Check out:

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=98&subcategory=1059&storetype=&estoreid=&init=y&pagename=

And usually there's some nashbar coupons floating around online :)

HTH