PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag for Twins

kfk
07-01-2004, 02:05 PM
I am expecting twin boys this fall and am wondering what the best moderately priced diaper bag would be? Ideally, I'd like something that's not too girly, and that my husband would also feel comfortable carrying. Also, I hope to continue doing lots of walking after the babies are born, but am not sure how much stroller storage I'll have to work with, so a comfortable bag would be best (I'm 5'4", busty and usually small/med sized--but not anymore!).

jasabo
07-01-2004, 02:25 PM
We used a Babybaks backpack during our twins' first few months. It's big enough for everything we needed, comfortable and moderately priced (around $70). Baby Sherpa also makes a great backpack that would be big enough for twins, for around the same price. Both can be found on the internet. Lands End and Eddie Bauer both have large shoulder carry diaper bags that have fabulous storage and work well for twins. I had a Lands End for a while, but got tired of carrying it because it was so big and bulky (I'm 5'8), so we switched to the Babybaks.

I now keep the fully stocked Babybaks backpack in the car, and use an Alpha 7, which I love. I like that it can be worn messenger or backpack or over one shoulder. Only problem is size - for newborns, I don't think you could fit everything you need in it, especially if your bottle feeding. At least I wouldn't have been able to.

I also have a few custom totes (Ella and Whimsical Wears) which are great. I think the biggest thing to consider is if you prefer backpack or tote, then go from there.

Good luck with your twins! I have twin boys also, and they're SO much fun!! A LOT of work, but well worth it.

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

Twin Mom
07-01-2004, 05:54 PM
We used the Ameribag Healthy Back Baby Bag Tote ($95) when our twins were first born. It is fairly big and worked well because my husband didn't mind carrying it. After a while though, I thought it was too big so eventually you will want something smaller. My twins are 21 months old now and we use a much smaller bag because they don't need as much stuff anymore. Plus we don't tend to be out for long periods of time with them because we usually end up coming home at some point for naptime.

http://www.ameribag.com/products/baby.html

Good luck with your twins.

Aileen

MamaKath
07-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Let me start by saying, I am not a mom of twins. I do have many friends with twins or triplets, and I do have 2 young kids that I take lots of places. So hopefully I can offer some insight into your quest. I would look at backpacks or messenger style bags so your hands are free to deal with babies. If you are bottle-feeding you need more room, or to carry a separate cooler of some kind. Even if you are not planning to bottle feed, you need pockets to hold drinks both for you and the babies, as they get older. Look for lots of interior organizational features (pockets, light color interior space, etc) since this will need to hold diapers, wipes, meds/creams/lotions, you stuff (phone, wallet, cosmetic bag), clothing, burp clothes, etc. and you want to be able to easily find what you need, when you need it.

For newborn twins, the backpack style bags by One Step Ahead, Baby Sherpa (can be too tall for some people’s bodies), Ameribag (Baby bag), Eagle Creek (Parent Survival Pack), Eddie Bauer, and Lands End will all give you a great bag that can be used after babyhood as well. As they get older a good messenger style bag will probably suffice as the smaller, quick outing bag (I love the Ameribag tote). I have experience with many of these, either that I have purchased or borrowed to check out. They are all rugged bags with a variety of features that would service well.

The last thought I had was regarding outings where you are concerned about carrying the bag. Many moms have found they can attach the diaper bag to the stroller handles in order to free up basket space using Stroll’r Swivels, baby links, or carabineers. Others actually have straps that unattach to hook onto the stroller. Then you don’t have to worry about filling the basket, or constantly carrying it.

HTH and best of luck with the pregnancy and preparations!~