PDA

View Full Version : Cover for restaurant highchairs

miki
07-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Is there a non-bulky cover that can be used on restaurant highchairs (those tiny wooden ones with the square seats) as well as shopping carts? Do you just have a lot of extra fabric flopping over the highchair since it's smaller than a shopping cart?

We just started going out to eat with DD and I have realized I am a total germ-o-phobe. But also lazy -- is it necessary to machine wash the cover after each meal if your baby is still learning to self-feed? I was thinking a dual purpose cover would be convenient but if I'm just going to have to wash it every time, maybe I would go for the Clean Diner.

TIA

robmab719
07-05-2004, 03:18 PM
I have a shopping cart cover from www.sewcuteboutique.com that I also use as a cover for the wooden highchairs. Basically, the extra fabric/padding just goes over the outside of the highchair (or if you have a smaller, floppier baby, you can stuff it inside the highchair to help prop him/her up).

I don't machine wash the cover everytime. My reasoning is that only the underside touches the germy-stuff and DD never touches the underside. Now we are not self-feeding yet, so if she were to get a bunch of food on it, I'd probably want to wash it more often.

priscilla73
07-05-2004, 04:49 PM
I use the Tidy Diner by Fisher-Price.

http://www.safefit.com/2004/aroundtown.html

It's made by Safe Fit for Fisher-Price. The item # is 50152. I bought mine from a baby store for about $11.99 but I've seen them online for less. It's made of a polyester fabric and it's not bulky at all. I can easily fit it in my diaper bag without any trouble. It also comes in its own little pouch.

I was using my cleanshopper shopping cart cover in highchairs but I found it to be much to bulky for carrying around.

HTH
Priscilla

sarahfran
07-06-2004, 12:05 AM
I bought one from sewinguptreasures on ebay. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20436&item=4302230509

The cover folds into its own little attached pouch.
It's really thin (not padded), well made, and works on shopping carts and restaurant high chairs. Note that some restaurant high chairs have legs that are more angled than straight--on these the cover slides up so that it's not very effective (probably a problem that you'd have with any cover).

Looks like they have a few cute fabric choices now!

EDITED to correct--had linked to a mommy cover, not a child cover.

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)