PDA

View Full Version : Loving my new WW (Pics!)

quikeye
07-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi all, had to share pics of my new ww (THANKS KIM!!!) with you all, since I would have never even heard of ww without this board :) I'm not even a bag person, and this will probably be the last bag purchase of mine in a long time-- but I love this bag!

I ordered the Eliz size with a little tapering, and I *believe* 20" long straps (I like for the bag to be close to my arm and no hang). Six pockets with no elastic (which, I like-- I had wanted the elastic but since the pockets are so deep I don't worry about anything falling out, and I don't want to overstuff anyways to make the bag too big/lose space on the inside b/c of bulging pockets). I ordered the key loop and the paci loop-- though I find myself attaching Kai's toys to them instead :) I also asked if it was possible to make a more shallow pocket towards the top of the bag-- I wanted to have a pocket within super easy reach (read: no digging) for my purell, antibac hand wipes, etc... I use public transport alot and I find myself constantly cleaning my hands after touching anything (not just on transit!)... Kim made of of the regular pockets "shallow" and towards the top by sewing across the middle of one of the regular pockets, works great! :)

Pics--

The 1st pic is a little washed out b/c of the flash, but you can get a general idea of the size. (The other pics are a better representation of the colour)...

2nd pic-- bag "packed". Pockets: 3- size 3 pampers cruisers, smaller bottle of purell and antibac wipes (in the shallow pocket), some jamtot wipes & a soothie paci, huggies wipes case with ziplocs/cottonelle fresh/lanisoh disp. nursing pads, puppy rattle :), and an empty pocket for disp. changing pad. In the bottom of the bag: a rolled up blanket, a sweater/cardigan, an extra change of clothes, a little bottle of zout, and teething beads attached to the paci loop.

3rd pic-- Another pic showing the "shallow" pocket with my purell & antibac hand wipes.

I love it! I love how organized I can be; my other bag (eagle creek parents pack/backpack) is also really organized, but it was so big I would constantly just leave it at home and carry a few extra dipes and wipes with me when I went out-- but I *like* carrying this one with me! :) Thanks Kim!! :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8753.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8754.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8755.jpg

supercalifragilous
07-08-2004, 02:36 PM
WHERE DID YOU FIND THESE FABRICS?!?!?!?! I love both the inside and the outside! I've never seen them before! Please share!! (if you feel comfortable - I won't copy your bag - I could use it for other projects) :D

quikeye
07-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Oh I'm not worried-- if you wanted to copy, feel free! :) I do love them as well, the purple is a cotton japanese-style chirimen (woven in a specific way in order to create a wonderful texture; it's not as fine as traditional kimono fabric, but it is beautiful imo!)

I got them from this website: www.borntoquilt.com -- I was going to point a link to the fabrics but I can't find them anymore! They were listed under "japanese" ... Here's a link to the purple version of the inside fabric:

http://www.borntoquilt.com/tp143-lav.jpg
http://www.borntoquilt.com/cgi-bin/ebo.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=8664&p_catid=16

Perhaps you could email them and see if they still have them? They're not "designer" fabrics-- I don't know the names of the mfr's unfortunately :( Good luck!

eta: edited for spelling

supercalifragilous
07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the links! I combed through the site and I couldn't find that purple chirimen fabric! :( Do you remember if it came in any other colors?

Is it a puckered type of texture or more like a brocade weave? I can kinda see it in the picture but I absolutely love the vibrant colors and design!

Mommyto3
07-08-2004, 06:33 PM
WOW!!! What a beautiful bag!!! I don't know that I would be able to design a bag myself...does Kim help you a lot and give advice?? Because they are beautiful and everyone raves about them!!

Thanks for sharing pics!

quikeye
07-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi, the purple was the only colour I saw it in on that site.

I don't know wnougn abuot fabrics to know what type of weave it is; I did a little reading on how they make chirimen and took a pic if it helps:

"This flat weave has a slightly seersucker texture. It is woven with a highly spun 2-ply weft yarn and a minimally spun warp thread. The wft yarn is made by spinning one thread clockwise (1,000 to 3,000 times/yd.), the other thread spun counterclockwise for a similar number of twists, and then intertwining the two threads into a single weft yarn. After being woven, the fabric is then washed, which tightens the highly spun weft threads and loosens the lesser-spun warp threads. This uneven shrinkage gives it its unique bumpy texture. This texture when dyed creates minute shadows to accentuate the designs." Kasuri Dyeworks

The weave *seems* loose in that I can see the individual woven threads well, but it's not loose at all (as far as being on my bag). This fabric isn't a "typical" chirimen though, which is really heavy and kinda bumpy and irregular... this isn't; this is also cotton instead of a heavy rayon/other like reg. chirimen.

An upclose pic:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8769.jpg

Dscvrlifewith3
07-08-2004, 06:46 PM
This fabric was interesting to work with. It moves very easily so you have to be careful sewing it. Also, putting a fusible on the back of it made it look weird on the outside of it, so there is no fusible interling on the back of the fabric. The fabric had a texture to it, that was different than other fabrics I had worked with. I had a scrap peice and made myself a clutch for a wedding, it turned out nicely. The fabric is actually thicker than it appears in the pictures, definitely thicker than a normal cotton fabric, but not as thick as decorator weight or upholstry weight fabric.

I believe born to quilt is sold out of this fabric. It wasn't cheap and I wouldnt suggest using it on a "test" project.

Truska
07-08-2004, 10:03 PM
That is *beautiful*! Excellent job!

jasabo
07-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Wow!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your fabrics! I never would have thought to combine the two, but it looks amazing! The fabrics are really beautiful on their own too...I really love the interior fabric.

Beautiful bag!! Enjoy!

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

supercalifragilous
07-09-2004, 02:50 PM
WOW! That was a very detailed picture!!! What kind oif digital camera do you have???? I can't get my macro function to work that well on my SLR cam!