PDA

View Full Version : Saw the Fleurville bags IRL and I am wondering.. what is the big deal??

papal
07-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I saw them yesterday in a cute boutique called Nina's Closet... anyhoo.. am i missing something? i fail to see the hoopla surrounding this bag?? I saw both the Mothership and the A7.
The plasticky covering over the mship bothered me immensely as did the single magnetic closure.
The A7 was ok, the red one even matched my mbus (heehee) but what is up with the BLACK interior and the velcro-closures???
Overall, i was so dissapointed... i don't get the big price-tag.. my Ella, at $45 is way more functional!!!
Ok, end of rant. And am so glad i saw them IRL because i was considering them because i need a bigger bag... now off to check out the skiphops!

robmab719
07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I think the appeal for me is the organization (the pockets are the perfect size and in the perfect place) and the durability (my bag still looks brand new).

The shiny vinyl really bugged me at first, but I like the fact that spit-up, formula and every other liquid just wipes right off. I don't worry about sitting the bag on the floor (like I did with my Ella) and I don't have to bring it home and scrub it down every day. I also like the magnetic snap. It works great one-handed, which is a big selling feature for me.

As for the Alpha, I agree with you on the black inside...that's precisely what kept me from getting the red one. Some of the other colors (pink chocolate, blue chocolate, chestnut corduroy) have the chocolate brown interior, which is much nicer IMO.

Now, are these bags worth $100 - $150? At first glance, no. But when you add up all the money I spent on other bags that the Mothership has ended up replacing, it comes to well over $150.

heatherlynn
07-09-2004, 04:13 PM
See now that's funny. I saw one yesterday IRL (finally... thanks to those who told me where to find one in Boston!). And I loved it! It had the pockets in exactly the places I wanted them and all my things fit where I wanted them to go (the 3 small ones in front). It had an outside pocket where I could put a water bottle (which was important to me). I liked the velcro personally - it was strong, so it will stay closed, but not where it was difficult to open. I personally don't care for the plastic coatings/coverings, but that's why I got the red canvas. Black interiors just don't bother me, so that wasn't an issue. Sure it was expensive, but it had everything I wanted in a bag. If I could have found one similar for less, I would have gotten that instead, but I just didn't see one anywhere that had the organization I wanted, plus could be used as a messenger/shoulder/backpack. Plus, DH can use it and not feel "goofy" about it. You should have seen his face when I showed him the Mothership! I wasn't interested in that one, but it's probably why he was so amenable to the Alpha7!

H-
Heather
dd Gabrielle 3/98
ds 8/04

jk3
07-09-2004, 04:15 PM
I completely agree-the Mothership is a terrific diaper bag. I thought it was hideous the first time I saw one at Hanna Andersson. However, my "pretty", delicate bag shows wear + I'm often afraid to use it, ie. in the rain, so I looked into the Fleurville bags. When I received my bag, I didn't think I'd love it since it is on the large side. I love it! Ireally can't say enough about this bag. It's completely functional. I don't have to worry about the bag getting dirty. The organization is fantastic. I have the white bag so the interior is a caramle color + I'm able to find what I need very quickly. I like the magnetic closure. this bag will last for a long time!

Jenn
DS 6/03

cinrein
07-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Rashmi,

I'm with you. I loved the organization, but could not get past the plastic. I've seen the denim, pink, light blue and a brightly striped Mothership and I thought they were just so shiny. They even smelled like plastic. Plus the bag is HUGE even for me, the heavy packer. I'd love to see an A7---where is Nina's Closet?

I saw black and bright pink Skip Hops at Nordies in Tyson's last weekend. I also have a gray one (it's not called gray--I forget what it's called). It's a nice bag, but I only use it when we're going to have an all-day stroller day. Right now I'm back to carrying my Ella.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

tori
07-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Heather,

Where did you get the red Alpha 7 in Boston ? I have been looking for one.

Victoria

papal
07-09-2004, 06:24 PM
CINDY!!! Phew, i thought i was going nutso! Nina's closet is on King St. in Old Towne... i am emailing you offline. :)

murpheyblue
07-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Rashmi,

I kind of agree with you even though I just bought a Mothership, LOL. I checked them out during the co-op and try as I might I couldn't get into the vinyl look even though that seems to be popular on a lot of high end diaper bags. When I heard about The Right Start sale I went to check them out again IRL. I still don't LOVE the appearence of the bag but I can see it's functionality. My main bags are 2 WW totes which are just gorgeous but I hate taking them to the park and other places where I have to drop them on the ground or in the dirt. I got my Mothership for $63 which I'm pretty pleased about. I think the indigo will work year round and I like that it is fairly indestructible for a day long outing.

I definitely wouldn't have paid $150 for the bag but for $63 I'll take it.

I am still pining for a red Alpha 7 though . . .

papal
07-09-2004, 06:40 PM
YOU GOT IT FOR $63!!!! IT WAS $150 plus tax or more in the shop i went to! I think i woild have got it for $63 too... i cannot pass up a good deal like that... i would have maybe gifted it to someone... the majority like the Motherships looks like! :)
Maybe you can eBay it and make some $$ :)

jasabo
07-09-2004, 06:58 PM
I kind of agree with you re: the Mothership. It's a little bulky for my taste, and I'm not a big fan of the vinyl/plastic exterior. Looks a little too '70's for me :) But I do love the fact that you can clean it so easily - big plus, in my book.

I have an Alpha 7 (red) which I love. I actually like the velcro - makes it very easy to open (no messing with snaps, zippers, etc) and it stays closed. Also, the organization is great, though I'd prefer an additional bottle holder inside. And the outside bottle holders aren't very big - I have to stuff my Avent bottles in, then the bag bulges out a little. But I think I just try to jam too much stuff in there. The black interior doesn't bother me, as I don't keep any small things in there, so no fishing around. Also, I love the messenger style and the ability to wear it as a backpack if you want, though I never do.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new versions of the bags - hopefully they'll be out soon...and hopefully they won't raise the price! They're already too expensive!!

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

MamaKath
07-09-2004, 07:38 PM
You are not alone! (Blushing here) I have seen them a few times in the last couple years, both in shops and on people. They are HUGE! I hated the plastic on them, and they are way overpriced. Even if I have a bunch of diaper bags (which I am realizing isn't because there couldn't be 1 that met my needs, but more because hey it is fun to switch bags about a bit! we are moms, and work hard to be the best we can, we deserve a bit of fun. ;-)) there are things about many of them that make them functional at a much lower price.

:-)

mommieo5
07-10-2004, 11:52 PM
I have too say my DH did not like them at all he said it looked like the plastic on someones sofa in the 70's( which is why I did not get one when I posted the deal at right start _I have my trusty 5 yr old deluxe DIA from lands end which is really a great all day bag , we take it for the zoo ect looks brand new after all those years ( though it does look a bit like luggage LOL