PDA

View Full Version : Will I Regret Getting a Medium Messenger from Timbuk2?

lmariana
07-12-2004, 09:21 AM
I am literally losing sleep over this! I'm considering the Medium Messenger (El Ocho) from Timbuk2. Medium because I want to be able to fit my laptop case in there. So my question is, will this be TOO much bag for me? Will I never want to use it? I'm just concerned it will be more bag than I'll want to carry around with me.

The dimensions of the laptop case are: 13.5" w x 10.5" h x 2" d.
The dimensions of the bag are: 19" Top W x 11" H x 8" D x 14.5" Bottom W

Here's a link to it... http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/byobclassic.t2?uid=a2mrdrdrdjbnnsssrdnnnnnynyynnn

Thanks for your feedback!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

anutalp
07-12-2004, 10:02 AM
I owned a large one (for about a week, after - I sold it), and it was HUGE!!!! I saw medium and it's a big big bag. But if you want to fit you laptop you might need it. Does you laptop fit into the small one? The small one is also big, I mean looks big.

Using this thread to ask your opinion - I'm getting a small one for work/diper bag. I'm getting a burgundy with silver, hopefully it will match my aubergine bugaboo. I was looking for the matching bag for a long time. What do you think?

lmariana
07-12-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm trying to match it to my Bugaboo too! I'm getting an all red bag. I just couldn't commit to a center stripe color. :) According to Timbuk2's site, the laptop sleeves won't fit in the small messenger, just the medium and up. :( I know I'd use the small one for sure, it's just this medium one that has me all worried. I'm not going to obsess about it too much though. :)

I think the burgundy/silver combo is a good idea for your Aubergine Bug! The burgundy color looks nice online.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

Smiles81
07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
How about a laptop bag? The dimesnsions of the bag seem to make it a little larger than the small but smaller than the medium. It may
be a bulkier bsg though. Something to think about.

Smiles81

priscilla73
07-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Mariana
Can you fit it inside your Mothership along w/ your ds' things?
Priscilla

lmariana
07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Well, I put the laptop (by itself) inside of my Mothership yesterday, and it does fit, but I don't think I could get the laptop grip sleeve in there. :(

I emailed Tote Le Monde yesterday. They make the Geneva Diaper Bag, which I already have, and the Geneva Laptop bag! They say the only difference between the two is the laptop protector that they include with the laptop bag versus the changing pad that comes with the diaper bag. So, I wrote them to see if I could purchase the laptop protector sleeve separately. We'll see! I'll probably still get the Timbuk2 one, so my hubby can carry it out sometime.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

lmariana
07-12-2004, 10:51 AM
I was able to check out the Detour and Commute in person at the Apple Store last week, and they are really bulky. Since they're designed to protect laptops, they have a bunch of padding and foam and stuff. Way too much for my everyday use. So, those are out. :(

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

pixelprincess
07-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Mariana, my thought is that you might be happier having a separate laptop bag, unless there is enough protection for the laptop. I know i would die if there was an accidental leak of anything baby on my Powerbook!

when does the co-op end? love the graphic bags.

lmariana
07-12-2004, 12:37 PM
The Timbuk2 co-op ends this Friday, the 16th (5 PM). The yahoo group address is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/timbuk2co-op

Way too much fun and way too many decisions to make!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

Twin Mom
07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Mariana - You may want to call the REI stores and see if they have a medium T2 in stock. You could then just go to the store and see if you think it will work. I know they have stores at Perimeter and N. Druid Hills but I'm not sure about any others. I've been to the Perimeter store twice - once to pick up my shortcut and once to return it (since I found it cheaper at STP). The first time I went I saw a small and medium and the 2nd time they didn't have a small anymore but did have a medium. It would probably help if you could see them IRL. I can't remember if they had the laptop sleeves too but I know they did have some of the other accessories (phone case, strap pouch, etc.)

I am still mulling over what to order myself - can't decide if I should get a small and a metro or just the small. Of course color decisions and features are another issue. I do have the shortcut and am considering returning it if I get the metro but I'm not sure how long STP gives you to return things and don't think I need 3 T2 bags.

BTW I saw your message on the GA group and it would be great if we could arrange a get together to meet and pick up our orders. It was nice of you to offer to have them shipped to you so we could all avoid tax.

Good luck with your decision.