PDA

View Full Version : What bag do I need??

twofallbabies
07-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Ladies,
I need some major advice on what diaper bag (YES, only ONE!) I should buy. I've been reading here for a few weeks (having just gotten my holy grail of strollers last month, I HAD to leave the stroller board, for my checkbook's sake!), and am looking for a new diaper bag now. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE a WW, missed out on the Shanghai b/c I need one NOW and wanted the Chartruese, think the Ella's are gorgeous but can't afford, and can't wait that long. Sigh.

I just came across the Skyline Diaper Tote from Safeline on both ebags and babystyle. I REALLY like the looks of it, but am wondering if it's just TOO MUCH bag for my needs. I work fulltime, so we don't use it daily, just on weekends. I currently have an older LE LT that I just LOVE, but need a touch more space in, and am dying for outer bottle pockets for my water bottle and sip cups. I have an almost 6 year old, and a 20 month old; I carry a change of clothes for my older DS, and the usual dipe bag stuff for my younger:

3 size 4 dipes
Wipes box
full change of clothes
Binky
Sip cup (one for older DS as well, but it's a straw bottle, don't dare call his a sippy cup!)
TnT w/crackers
Changing pad when I remember it

And it's nice to be able to fit my stuff in it as well...cell phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses, itty bitty makeup case, water bottle.

I currently have an LE LT and an LE DIA, both versions were bought in 2002. The DIA I'm on is my fourth one since my older DS was born; I've had bum zippers, and LE has easily replaced the whole bag for me. And I must confess *blush* that a year or two ago, when I saw that they had come out with newer colors for the DIA (I had an eggplant-y color at the time) I purposely broke the zipper to get a new one. Shhhh, don't tell! ;)

Anyway, the DIA is our going-to-Grandma's/out all day bag. The LT is the hook-on-the-stroller-and-go/day trip/mall bag (I have a P3, and LOVE the loops that carbiners work so well on!). I have a few other cheapies and freebies that come and go, disappearing at will, that should be tossed into the yard sale bin next time I come across them. And I just bought a really great $18 bag at Target about 2 weeks ago. It was in the purse section, got it in navy, but it also comes in black and khaki/tan (smaller purse and tote versions of it come in red, but checked three Targets, and couldn't find this one in red, sigh). It works ok for my purposes, but the strap (which is really long and I love it for wearing messenger style) is very slippy/ungrippy, and doesn't hold well on carbiners or over the stroller handles. So now I'm thinking I might use it for my work bag.

Ok, so what do I need? My budget is $50 or less. Looks I love: LOVE the SkipHop, but really wanted it to match my Synergy P3, and according to Marilyn, none of them do. Like the PP Borsa in Syn, but it's way too expensive, and I've yet to be able to find a pic online of the interior/pockets/organization. I NEED pockets to organize me! That's the one thing that's missing from my Target bag is mucho pockets.

TIA for any help!

Jessica, MD mama to
Dillon (9/18/98)
& Lucas (10/24/02)

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

lmariana
07-12-2004, 01:07 PM
I haven't tried this out in person, but many P3 owners like the Messenger Tote by Ameribag on ebags.com. http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/tote_messenger_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=13589

The black would match (as would a black Skip Hop), but I'm not sure if you want a black bag. It does have a light gray interior though, unlike the Skip Hop.

Several people on here have the Ameribag Tote and really like it. It's worth checking out and definitely in your price range!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

masetane
07-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I know this is not in your price range but if I had to pick one, it would be my Alpha 7. Two kids later, I like a one strap messenger/shoulder style as well as the ability to go to backback (free hands!!!) That said, I have seen many bags in this kind of style in your price range at Buy Buy Baby, I just can't recall names. Hope that helps! Oh, I have a Little Tripper too but it was too small - I think the Alpha is a perfect size!!! I don't find it big at all - just a nice medium size!
Caroline
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

robmab719
07-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Have you checked out the Baby Bags swap? There are some Ella, I'm Still Me and Whimsical Wears totes on there that you wouldn't have to wait for, and they're probably close to your price range.

It's at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

twofallbabies
07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks, girls, for your advice. I think maybe I'm ISO something I already have, and am just dazed by all the "new and pretty" stuff out there since finding this board. The DIA and Ameribags are very nice, but way too big for my day to day use, and I don't care for Fleurville at all, though I really wanted to, becasue I LOVE the purple swirl pattern.

That said, I bought a Navy Skip Hop and 3 Kecci Shanghais at BBB today. Not sure what I'm going to keep and what will go back or go to ebay, but we'll see. I definitely am going to order an updated LT soon, just need to pick a color.

Jessica, MD mama to
Dillon (9/18/98)
& Lucas (10/24/02)

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

priscilla73
07-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Hi Jessica
You mentioned your interest in the Skyline by Safeline. I have the Skyline backpack and I love it. (but I love everything, lol, j/k) No, seriously, it's very functional with tons of zippered pockets. I can't even tell you how many pockets it has. I recently took it to San Diego on vacation and I stayed so organized. It almost has too many pockets. But I quickly had a place of everything and everything in its place.

Caroline suggested the Alpha 7. That is also a nice bag. It's much prettier than the Skyline. I also Love it...lol

Have fun deciding
Priscilla