PDA

View Full Version : which backpack diaper bag?

vlslusher
07-12-2004, 10:48 PM
i want a "pretty" diaper bag, but one that is more like a backpack purse, so not as big as a traditional backpack, but still one that is big enough to hold what i need.

i have looked at chester, sally spicer, what else would you suggest -and does anyone have any opinions on which of these to get. (this is for my 3rd baby, 1st girl - bf so bottles are not an issue)

thanks!

ginny

lmariana
07-12-2004, 11:24 PM
I'd also check out www.timiandleslie.com and www.oioi.com.au

Timi and Leslie's have a waterproof vinyl covering, just so you know. :)

Have fun browsing!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

khakismom
07-12-2004, 11:54 PM
There's always Ella or Whimsical Wears too. You pick the fabric and they create the backpack for you. I have an Ella that I love (the attachment below shows a pic). It holds a ton, but is still very stylish and looks like a purse. No one would ever know it was a dipe bag.

Here are the links, plus Ella Bags is having a co-op this month, buy one get the second half off, plus 15% off spring/summer fabrics (at least I think it's 15% off, I do know they are discounted).

I don't have a WW, but lots of gals here do and have raved about them. HTH!

http://www.ella-bags.com

http://www.whimsicalwears.com

pritchettzoo
07-13-2004, 12:30 AM
I second the Whimsical Wears vote. Her backpacks are 20% off in July, which is by far a better deal than the Ella co-op. Also, I don't recommend Ella bags. I got two diaper tote bags (one a gift) and a cosmetic case, one sewn okay (the gift, thank goodness)and the rest of very shoddy workmanship and inferior materials. My WW bags are superbly sewn and Kim (the owner) is a delight to work with.

Anna

MamaKath
07-13-2004, 12:40 AM
I love the Ella and WW ones in pictures. I also really like the Vera Bradley backpacks, especially the Ultimate Backpack in black or red microfiber. http://www.verabradley.com/ProductSearch.aspx?qu=backpack Very pretty bags!

firsttimemommy
07-13-2004, 10:11 AM
You ought to join babybags on Yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags

There are always lots of "pretty" bags (ISM, Whimsical Wears and Ellas) up for sale or trade at a discounted price (gently used, but in new condition)

Ronda
Mommy to Jenna born 1/10/03
and Jacob 4/26/04

Phoebe
07-13-2004, 10:22 PM
I have the Petunia Picklebottom boxy backpack. It has straps for both a backpack (which is how I wear it) and a shoulder/messenger bag.

http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/category.phtml?id=1

I've been really happy with it. The pattern I have is Land of the Lost, and that one may be discontinued. The outside is a brown peacock print and the interior is aqua - a very light color which is wonderful for finding things. Previously, I had a Baby Bjorn backpack that was HUGE and was just a big black hole.

The Petunias are unique, pretty, feminine and functional. However, I don't hear much about them on this board so I wonder if others don't care for them as much.

The backpack aspect was really important to me. A bag must be hands free! I'm considering a Fleurville Mothership just for longer outings and vacations because it can carry more.

Good luck!

vlslusher
07-14-2004, 12:40 AM
would it be worth considering the alpha 7? i think the chester is more "backpacky" looking, the sally spicer is more purse looking - but have not heard any reviews on sally spicer backpacks - so i am a little confused.

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
07-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi Ginny,
I have a Chester Backpack and I had an Alpha 7 and sold it. The Alpha IMO is most suited as a messenger and not as a backpack. It just feels bulky as a backpack and didn't work for me. However, the Chester is a very light, well-fitting backpack. It is also coated, which is great for durability, and the patterns are cool. I'm not sure if I would have paid retail ( I got a deal on ebay), but I do really like it. The Chester site has quite a few backpacks on their sale page at 1/2 off - great deal. Here is the link to my review from a few days ago with full details.
Edited to say - Oh, the link is not working - but the post was only from a few days ago.
HTH

MichelleRC
07-14-2004, 08:50 AM
I have made an exhaustive search of backpack diaper bags and would probably recommend the Chester or Timi and Leslie. I am currently using the T&L--it is very roomy and has good interior organization. I love Chester bags in general and even though I dont have a backpack (yet!), I dont see how you could go wrong there either.
I have my Sally Spicer on EBay right now--it is the wine colored dragonfly one. It is a really pretty bag, very roomy and lightweight, but personally, I like a few more pockets inside and a zipper pocket outside. Check it out if you are interested!
The messenger bags that convert to backpacks are better as messenger bags IMO, but it is good to have the option of converting if you need your hands free once in a while. I just don;t find them to be as comfortable as backpacks since they tend to be boxier.
HTH!

vlslusher
07-14-2004, 08:59 AM
i am actually watching it :)

i was wondering about the fabric though - does is seem durable or like it would snag easily?

MichelleRC
07-14-2004, 09:09 AM
It is upholstery-grade fabric. I do think it would wear quite well. Plus there is sturdy black cordura-type nylon on the bottom so you would not have to worry about putting it down in the ground and getting it dirty. (I hate when the bottoms get all yucky!)

jendalymd
07-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I second that! I have a PP boxy backpack in Sunset dragon roll. Love it! Use it everyday. It is a great medium size bag, that doesn't look huge. I use it as a backpack as well. It is great and I get tons of compliments on it. The interior is black though, so I do get the black hole effect. And I wish the changing pad were bigger and detachable, like they are coming out with on the 2004s! The outside side pockets are great for cell phones and pens, etc. I like keeping diapers and the wipes pack on the outside next to the changing pad, so it maximizes the space inside. I looked at the Alpha 7 IRL yesterday and I like my PP much much better.

I'm also going to by a Fleurville MS for longer outings, vacations. Also, am excited to see what the new Loom Bandicoot (coming end of this month!) is going to look like, looks like a smaller backpack bag.

cheers!