PDA

View Full Version : Skip Hop vs. Loom vs. Alpha7

lmladuke
07-13-2004, 05:40 PM
ok, I need another more "functional" diaper bag - as opposed to the cute WW and Ella bags I am ordering. I want something medium sized (i.e. not huge) but large enough to serve as the everyday bag - it has to hold:

diapers for newborn and toddler
wipes
bottle
sippy cup
extra change of clothes for baby
my wallet, cell phone etc.
one or 2 toys for baby
ziploc bag of crayons, small pad of paper, and small book for DS
one or two snacks

I have seen the Skip Hop IRL and Loom and Alpha7 online. Which one do people think will fit best/hold most? I'm not sold on messenger style as I don't know if I would wear it that way - especially if I have baby in Baby Bjorn. I am 5'2

Any advice, or pics comparing any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan 7/27/01
and to Baby Girl EDD 7/31/04

lmariana
07-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Hi Lori!

I'd say based on what you plan to carry, I'd go with the Loom. The Skip Hop has one place for a bottle/sippy and it's not insulated. The Alpha 7 may also work well, since it has one insulated bottle holder, but the external "bottle" pockets may be too small to hold a sippy. The Loom however, has a nice insulated bottle holder inside PLUS two nice, roomy bottle pockets outside, that would easily hold a sippy. :)

Hope this helps a bit!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

lmladuke
07-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks Mariana - How did I know you be one of the first to respond LOL!

If I were not going to carry a sippy - as DS often drinks small bottles of water that I can either throw in the bag or leave in my cupholder - would you still say the Loom - or would you choose a different bag? Just curious

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan 7/27/01
and to Baby Girl EDD 7/31/04

robmab719
07-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Oh, I hope the Bandicoot has those same pockets. Your description just sounds perfect for us, but I've never been crazy about the overall shape of the Marsupial. Love the look of the Bandicoot, though. Now if only mine would GET HERE!!!

Also, I think the Alpha 7 outside pockets *MIGHT* hold a sippy. I remember checking them out for that exact concern and being satisfied that they would work. I was able to stuff a 9oz Avent in the outside pockets with some room to spare, so it's not out of the question.

ETA: I guess my overall recommendation would be the Alpha 7 because of the functionality as a backpack or messenger. But I haven't owned the Marsupial, so I'm a bit biased. :)

lmariana
07-13-2004, 06:29 PM
If you weren't carrying a sippy, I'd probably go with the Alpha 7. That's just a matter of personal preference on my part though. They have very similar organization and were essentially designed by the same person. (The owner of Loom co-founded Fleurville.)

I do think the Alpha 7 is less bulky than the Loom. :)

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003