PDA

View Full Version : Comparison between the Mothership and Alpha7

pixelprincess
07-14-2004, 03:45 AM
can you please shed some light? I just got a Indigo Mothership and it looks like a really big bag (to me). Is the Alpha7 smaller? Also what are the other differences? And why do you like either?

There are no size specs on the fleurville website.

thanks.

lmariana
07-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Hi! The Mothership seems REALLY large at first. Once I packed it up and used it a bit, I was in love. I have an Alpha 7 too, and it is definitely much smaller. I'd say about half the capacity of the Mothership. Some more differences are...

Alpha 7 does not have the vinyl waterproof layer
Alpha 7 does not have a padded changing pad (brings a smaller, thin one)
Alpha 7 has an adjustable messenger strap
Alpha 7 can be converted to be worn as a backpack

Other than that, all the organization is identical...just on a much, much smaller scale.

I tend to use my Alpha 7 for my daily use and my Mothership for an all day or trip to Grandma's House bag.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

pixelprincess
07-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks Marina, the dipe bag queen! That helps a lot. I really like the Indigo Mothership and the insulated pocket, but it looks HUGE on me at 5' 2". How do you use the Mothership with your stroller- in the basket or the handle bars? Which colors do you have in both?

urbanmama
07-14-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm thinking that the Alpha 7 is probably the right bag for me. I have a Skip Hop, a WW Katie bucket on the way and am trying to decide whether or not to keep the Chester diaper bag I just received, but I think that the Alpha 7 would probably be the right bag for my everyday bag.

However, I've never actually seen one IRL. The blue chocolate and pink chocolate look shiny. If they do not have a vinyl waterproof layer like the Mothership, what is the fabric? I really like that waterproof coating, so now I'm wondering if the Alpha 7 isn't my perfect bag. Can you describe it for me?

TIA!

Marie

lmariana
07-14-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm 5'2" as well! I don't wear it messenger style because it feel like I'm being engulfed, but I like wearing it on my shoulder. I'll usually hang it from the stroller when we're out, or just leave it in the car and take something smaller with me.

I have the Mothership in White Corduroy and the Alpha in Blue Chocolate. Lately, I've been leaving the Mothership packed in the car and carrying around the Escape Pod in my stroller basket or into restaurants. Gabe's seriously low-maintenance, so I just carry a diaper, paci, wipes, ziploc of Cheerios, hand wipes, and a bib for him.

I used to carry a big bag into restaurants with me and put the highchair cover inside, but we've been using our Bumbo in lieu of a highchair lately and love it. That way, we can sit in a booth. :)

If I'm going somewhere like the mall for a few hours, I'll take the Alpha 7 and pack a few more things (that I never use).

I feel like I rambled, but I hope this helps!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

lmariana
07-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Hi Marie!

The Pink and Blue Chocolate Alpha 7's have a laminated cotton fabric exterior. It's very slick and not rubbery at all. This makes the bag water and stain proof. It's not as think as the Chester fabric and has a really smooth feel, more like teflon. The Mothership has a whole separate layer of vinyl sewn on top of the regular fabric, which some people either love or hate.

I like the ALpha 7 over the Chester SOLEY because I can wear it messenger style, and I really like messenger style bags. :)

There's a good deal now on the Fleurville bags. See the BabyBags Swap group for info, if you're interested!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

urbanmama
07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Mariana! I knew I could count on you!! I'll go check out the Babybags Swap group!

Marie

pixelprincess
07-14-2004, 02:58 PM
thanks Mariana for the great info!! how funny...i used to feel like a bag lady with a huge (not so attractive dipe bag), and seems like we've scaled down too.

i am currently using an accidental diaper bag- an Old Navy Messenger style bag which has worked out really well. Lots of pockets on the inside and outside and I found it for 5$.

I like the sound of the Alpha7. the stinker is that the Indigo mothership had a receipt taped on to it and the scotch tape is etched into the bag...can't get it out!!

pixelprincess
07-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Mariana, any chance you could post pictures of the Mothership and Alpha7 side by side. I am thinking of ordering the red Alpha7 from the co-op. Just wish it had the vinyl, though the red does look lovely!!

thanks and sorry to have to bug you!