PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw the two Fiona Langs in person - long review/comparison

supercalifragilous
07-14-2004, 05:14 PM
I was so confused about the difference between the eBay bag and Latia's bag I had to go check them out myself. So I went to the TJ Maxx yesterday and they had 2 pink and 2 orange bags, one in each style. Some of this may be redundant, but I thought I would post since I was confused about the two styles until I saw them in person so I thought I would clarify for someone else...

Colors:
Obviously, there are two -- orange and pink. They are both made of the same brocade design, just different colors. IMO, the orange is REALLY orange, just like in the eBay pics. The pink is just like it shows in Latia's pictures - a really subdued elegant mauvey pink. Both have gold brocade that sets off the color and is beautiful!

Fabric/Stabilizer:
The brocade is like an upholstery fabric - I think it's thicker than the PPB fabric but the stabilizer is the same. I'm 99% sure the stabilizer will disintegrate when you dry clean the bag and become floppy like the PPB. Yes, the Fiona is dry clean only too (not machine washable like Kecci). I think this is due to the nicer fabric they use. I think Kecci uses a rayon/polyester/silk mix or something but this also makes it less "snaggable"). Because of the weave of the brocade in the Fiona, I don't think it will snag as easily as the PPB, though.

Design 1 - Backpack (smaller orange bag shown on eBay)

This is basically Fiona Lang's take on the Petunia Pickle Bottom bag - exact same design as PPB as shown on the eBay pictures except that it closes with a magnetic snap instead of Velcro and it has a key clip. The changing pad is not detachable, just like the PPB The one thing I liked about the Fiona bag is that the lining is continued all the way to the top of the bag where the zipper is located. Size-wise, I think it is a hair smaller than the PPB, based on the outside appearance and the zipper opening. If it had a PPB lsbel, I would definitely be fooled.

Design 2 - Messenger bag (Latia's pink bag)

This bag is huge and *much* bigger than the backpack. My one complaint about this bag is that it has no zipper or internal closure. I'm a "medium" packer (not light, not heavy) and this cavernous bag would tempt me to overfill it and the only thing holding it closed would be the strength of the magnetic snap in the front. If it's too full, I wouldn't want to wear it as a backpack and I'd be worried about stuff spilling out if it toppled over. I personally think a bag this wide needs a zipper or some kind of internal closure, more stabilizer, and/or metal feet on the bottom. I think it's a little wider than your run-of-the-mill Eddie Bauer messenger bag. It's great for heavy packers, though, or for long trips.

Latia's awesome pictures are true to life (Thank you for posting model pictures, Latia!!). The changing pad is detachable. I think that while they were at it, they could have made it wider, like the width of the bag - it's just like any other changing pad that comes with a diaper bag - way too small for my DD now. It isn't totally inconspicuous when it's folded up, either -- about 1/4 inch sticks out the top of the bag on the ones I saw. I'd probably take it out and just keep it zippered up to use it as another external compartment.

The external side pockets are really tall - they run the height of the bag. I would definitely have to dig for a flip cell phone or my keys, since this style didn't come with the key clip.

I love that this messenger bag style has two pockets that run along the back exterior of the bag. I think lots of designers overlook this area - it's great hidden space! That's one thing I LOVE about my Kecci. This one's not zippered - it's actually sewn to make two compartments instead but hey, it's space!

Straps:
The backpack and shoulder straps for the backpack style are about 1.5 to 2 inches shorter than those for the messenger bag style. They still get long enough for me to wear them comfortably (and I'm a big gal) and the shoulder strap is still long enough for me to wear across my torso messenger-style (and I am of the big-boobed variety) comfortably.

Even though they're differing sizes, they were both listed for $49.99. Original price is supposedly $80.

The manufacturer tag on both of them states that they both come with the key clip (only the backpack style did) and removable pouch (neither one did). I don't know if this is why it went to TJ Maxx or if they decided to discontinue those options, since the only place anyone has seen this bag is at a TJ Maxx.

Anyway, that's my take... for $50 it's a GREAT BUY and it has really superior construction, like Mariana said. I think the "folded over the seam" problem pointed out by a previous poster was because of the way it was shipped and the stiffness of the fabric. My PPB didn't seem to have that problem but they had that thing stuffed with paper to retain its shape. I don't think TJ Maxx takes that good care of their bags, besides, it's 1/3 the price of a PPB. I think if you ironed the seams it would be okay.

manda7_23
07-14-2004, 06:55 PM
I have been trying to get the pink bag with no success! Can you help me? I e-mailed you.

Amanda ;)